“There's a reason why they're rated #1” 5 of 5 stars

You added City Backpackers Hostel to your Saves list
City Backpackers Hostel
Upplandsgatan 2a, Stockholm 11123, Sweden   |
Chicago, Illinois
“There's a reason why they're rated #1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hands down, the cleanest, coziest (yet spacious) and most entertaining hostel experience I've ever had. I found the staff to be extremely friendly, too. I reached the hostel before checkout time; they let me store my luggage in a secure room and take a shower before heading out to explore the city in my 24 hour layover. I need to talk about the showers. First of all, they are everywhere (detached from the bedrooms). And they're incredibly clean. You'll never have to worry about a dirty bathroom (or long lines to use one) in this hostel.

All rooms in the hostel require a unique security code to get in. I'd never seen this implemented at a hostel before. I felt very secure.

Also to be noted - they offer free bike rental. This was huge for me. Biking around Stockholm (particularly, Gamla Stan) made my trip!

I'm a bit of a hotel junkie, but if I'm ever in Stockholm again, I will stay at this hostel without hesitation!

Room Tip: As with any shared hostel, make sure to pack ear plugs. You never know when you'll get a roommat...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
CBPmanager, Public Relations Manager at City Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Ah, that's lovely to hear, we've converted a hotel fan! I always stay at hostels myself, because it's usually more personal. Also they give you so many little extras, and it's easier to meet your fellow travellers than in a hotel. But to be perfectly honest, lately I've gotten a bit spoilt and started to book my private room... It's got a lot to do with my boss snoring when ever we travel together! I, too, always bring ear plugs, and I've made sure we sell my favourite kind in the City Backpacker reception - nothing can get through those suckers!
I'm glad you enjoyed our bikes, I love riding around Stockholm by bike, too. But Gamla Stan's Medieval cobblestone streets are a bit too bumpy for my taste...
Thank's for the excellent review, Cheers Lena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Positives:

Clean

Great facilities (nice common rooms, 4 new iMacs plus some PCs for the free internet, free wi-fi, free sauna, well equipped kitchen including a fridge for each room, reasonably priced bicycle hire).

Great central location - you can walk to the old town in 15 minutes.

Very friendly & helpful staff.

Negatives:

Basement rooms (which make up over half the rooms I believe) have no windows and the ventilation is not great. When I stayed it was summer and hot and humid weather (25 - 27 degrees) and the room was a hot and stuffy at night.

It's not the cheapest hostel in the city but I think it's good value. I would stay there again but would really try to get a ground floor room with a window.

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor room with a window!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Fukuoka, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Don't understand the hype. Staff was less than friendly from check in and answering questions seemed like a chore. Good facilities but just feels very spread out. Many rooms are in the basement.

Security is important but the loçks on the door are a bit noisy especially throughout the night with people going in and out. Don't think anyone in our room slept well. Also signs with quiet time but no one enforces it.

Note that the hostel has different rates. Ironically hostelworld.com has cheaper rates than direct booking.

• Stayed October 2012
Oh, that makes me sad that you didn't feel we took good care of you during your stay. My office is within hearing distance from reception, and so while working I always keep an ear on the reception staff. My impression is that they do their best to answer all questions in a friendly and engaged way, but I will pay closer attention from now on to see if I can perhaps understand your critique. As for the noisy doors, I agree, we've had huge problems with them. For security reasons they are much thicker and heavier than normal doors, and that's why they tend to slam shut. BUT luckily, after years of experimenting, our handyman has now outsmarted the doors and figured out a way to make them really, really silent! A major break through in the history of City Backpackers! I hope you had a good time in Stockholm in spite of not being completely happy with the hostel. Kindly Lena
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

ive been there just one time and my room called grinda was really good, big, clean, with a lot of private shower around. in the hostel there is a really big kitchen with everything and every bathrooms was clean! Normal price, just because i was in stockholm and there everything is expensive in confront of london for example!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Hostel is very well located, near to the shopping streets and only 5-10 minutes walking to the Gamla Stan. The rooms are good as well and the commom area is big and full of computers. The only thing that could be better are the bathrooms and showers. But is general is a very good choice!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked a private room for two and they gave us a private room for 4. It was a lovely room!!!!! The place was VERY clean and the staff was helpful. We enjoyed eating breakfast in the cafe.They had a kitchen, but no bar :( and there was not really a bar close by that everyone visited. The courtyard was amazingly beautiful and decorated w/ lights at night, but nobody was out there. It was a little difficult to meet fellow travelers as it seemed like people were just sort of scattered all over the place. We enjoyed drinking and playing games in the kitchen and the staff even let us stay up later than the curfew! Recommend if you want a nice clean place to stay and you don't really care about meeting bunches of people. The bar, Bagpipers Inn (20 min walk away) was tons of fun and I highly recommend visiting!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Great hostel, lots of space, lots of room. Free pasta. Great location. Friendly staff. Free wireless internet. Computers with Internet access. TV. There is a private shower. Many people. Large kitchen and lounge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to City Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!