“Fine hotel near KTH AlbaNova campus” 4 of 5 stars

Claes pa Hornet
Surbrunnsgatan 20, Stockholm 113 48, Sweden (Norrmalm)   |
Ranked #104 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fine hotel near KTH AlbaNova campus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Normally I don't have time to write reviews but felt compelled to in this case, since Claes På Hörnet is a fine hotel and the current reviews do not do it justice. It is conveniently located close to the KTH AlbaNova university campus and is a fine hotel for the business traveler including free internet. The breakfast is excellent and in the lobby there is one of the best-known restaurants of the area (with the same name as the hotel). Wall-to-wall carpeting was for me personally the only downside; everything else was A+. Service, quietness everything else was great. Restaurant has excellent food and locals come from all of Stockholm to eat here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sweden, Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We live in Stockholm and stayed at Claes På Hörnet in their suite for one night with a three course dinner and breakfast. We chose the hotel as a getaway in the city in a small charming hotel with a wonderful restaurant. And this was exactly what we got. And we got it for a real bargain price; approximately 180 Euro for everything! I can't say anything about the other rooms but this one was rather big with old style furniture and a marvellous looking bed (with flat-screen tv inside it!). The bathroom had a jacuzzi. The view wasn't any special but there is no special view to have here. The staff was kind and attentive, but not as attentive as in four star accomodations of course.The restaurant is very good and we could choose from any dish on the menu, even though our stay was at a fix price (since they could have chosen the cheapest dishes for us, i.e. a fixed menu, on instead of giving us the opportunity to choose whatever we wanted). The only downside was that there was no shampoo in our bathroom, we had to buy it. We found our stay pleasant, charming and for a very good price to. For a tourist coming from out of town this hotel is maybe a bit outside the "real" city. But with the train it takes you only a couple a minutes to get there. By foot 10-20 minutes to get to Odenplan, Hötorget and T-centralen.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

Hello World,

I emailed them to book a room. They didn't get back to me. I emailed them again. Again they didn't get back to me. I call them up and book a hotel room for the 20 May 08. The room is confirmed with the wrong date, nameley the 19 May 08.

Because emails hadn't worked when I tried to book the room. I called up and asked to change it to the 20 May. The woman who answered the phone said that would not be a problem. I trusted her.

So when we didn't show up on the 19 May 08 we were charged a no show fee although we were fully intending to show up the 20 May and had changed the date.

I then complained to the management. Who suprisingly didn't get back to me. Fredrik the Manager finally after being chased returned my email by saying that we didn't show up and therefore he charged me. He did not apologise for anything that I mentioned in the email. He was rude and utterly appalling.

I would not recommend staying at Clas Pa Hornet. However I will admit their food is excellent. But then again a lot of food in Stockholm is excellent and I'd probably choose to spend my money elsewhere.

I am dissappointed, that I was charged for a refund. But even more annoyed with the fact that on their website they do not state their cancellation policy, nor in the booking email they sent to us - so what right do they have - what legal right do they have to charge my card at this point?!

I am still angry and it's been 10 days!

Anna

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2003

We had a VERY poor experience. Our initial room was small, not at all like the rooms shown in their publicity. The carpet was soiled and the room over looked a park bench one floor below, where the local homeless congregate. The air conditioner was a freestanding unit that we turned on and departed for the afternoon. When we returned, the air conditioner was not functioning and our roof top room was sweltering hot, far warmer that the outside temperature. The windows could not be opened without also having the drapes open, a problem given the men sitting on the nearby bench. After pointing out the air conditioner malfunction to the management we were offered a different room which was approximately half the size of the original room. No apologies were offered, their attitude was dismissive, and no discount was offered despite the room size. We choose to move to another hotel, the Nordic Sea, which was delightful!

Been to Claes pa Hornet? Share your experiences!