“Very clean and special hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Langholmen Hostel

You added Langholmen Hostel to your Saves list
Langholmen Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Langholmsmuren 20 | Box 9116, Stockholm 102 72, Sweden   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Taipei
“Very clean and special hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. It's very clean and the staff there is very friendly and helpful. We called them that there was something wrong with the fire alarm at night about 11pm and they came to check and fix immediately. And the "prison" atmosphere is so special for me and my friend. It's also free to see the museum if you are their guest. I have to say the location maybe not so perfect as some hostels in Stockholm but this hostel is so good that I will stay the same hostel if I got the chance to stay in Stockholm.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I generally do not have terribly high expectations for hostels. Just need a bed and a place to eat. But Langholmen made me realize that I actually have a few other fairly basic preferences. Or rather, needs.
Like ventilation (stale smell in the hallways). And somewhere to chat with others. And light. And breakfasts that come in under $10. I noted on here that they are apparently a large spread but if you stay for more than three days you're easily meeting the amount of a full nights stay just in breakfast! (currently about $13 American).
I appreciate that it is a unique and novel idea but I pulled the trigger on leaving early when a cockroach ran past the outlet I had my phone plugged into.
In their defense of one complaint, I also have a unique need in that i have some back problems. Where some folks may have noted that the beds were comfortable, the thin pads unfortunately exacerbated my condition. Can't really blame the hostel for that though.
My biggest issue was that, given the time of year I stayed and the poor location of Langholmen outside the city, once 10 o'clock rolled around and my roommates went to sleep there was complete and utter silence. no birds, no heating system sounds, no water pipes. No signs of life. After laying awake for hours listening to my ears ring from the excessive quiet I gave in at about 4 AM and booked a hotel for my last night. If you are a city folk and find comfort in having people around this is NOT the place for you!

I will close out with the good things so as not to deter if you are ok with the above: The registration area is very welcoming. The museum is interesting. Bathrooms are very clean and showers are comfortable. Kitchen is functional and even though it is pretty far out, it's walkable to transportation.

In all fairness I will say this: Go during summer with your buddies, you will have a much better experience.

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Española en Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have been 2 nigths in the hostel. Was pretty difficult from the metro station to find it, and when i was there i feel strange. I was staying where years ago, people couldn´t go out... is the concept what i feeel dissapointed with, because it is quite sarcastic to pay for some cool place in where you can read and see how the prisioners were living in. I did it and afterwards it leaves to be cool to become in sarcastic. Besides the concept, my room was a 4-beds one with a share toilet.
like in other hostels, but i miss a common area to enjoy and meet people: they have a rest-area but i don´t feel that was a place in where stay talking and having a good time with others as the rooms are just beside it and you can disturb the other guests.
great area, I´ve seen a fox in the park!!! that is amazing! Enjoy your visit and enjoy the wonderful city of Stockholm!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed in this unique hotel for a few days.
It's a bit out of the centre but the metro runs often.
The island that the hotel is on is worth a quick walk around after breakfast, which is the typical scandanavian smorgasboard, was what you would expect.

Now the bad part, the housekeeping was not up to standard. The glasses were not cleaned on our stay, neither were the towls they were not replaced just folded and put back on the warmer. Not enough paper was left in the toilet, but the room was spotless when we first entered it, it was just the day to day upkeep that had problems.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is a hostel that used to be a prison. Your room is a prisoner's cell, and is as tiny as can be expected. The bunk bed was comfortable, the bathroom barely big enough to turn around in , and they had a TV. It was a fun and enjoyable stay, considering that you are not in a hotel - but a hostel-like accommodation. If you like creepy situations and haunted houses, this is the hostel for you :) I did not dine there, so cannot comment on food/restaurant.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in September. I don't normally stay in hostels but because Stockholm is so expensive we were left with no choice. I wasn't particularly looking forward to it I have to admit, but, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very small but equally very clean, what more do you want? The beds were really very comfortable and we slept brilliantly every night. The banging of the huge prison doors can be disruptive in the morning but you soon get over it.

The shared facilities which I was dreading turned out to be fine. Again they were very clean and because of the time of year, very quiet. I showered on my own every morning and there's plenty of sinks for the evening routine.

The actual hostel itself is interesting to explore. And it's nice having the pub inhouse as it were although we didn't eat there it looked expensive. We used the kitchen to make ourselves breakfast and it was well stocked and kept clean.

Getting into the centre wasn't an issue, it's a 15 minute walk to the station but it felt shorter, we timed it one day and we were sursprised it took so long. It's a pleasant area and the walk to the station is nice. No complaints.

Overall I highly recommend this hostel, free wifi was a nice touch too. It's not a place that you necessarily look forward to going back to but it is clean and comfortable and most importantly reasonable and in Stockholm I don't think you can ask for more than that!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor in room 7 which is part of the museum and coordined off from the rest...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This was aa very interesting Hostel on the small Island of Longholmen, just 5 stops by nderground from the centre of Stockholm. It does has small "cells" with bunk beds. But there were many families with young children staying there. The breakfasts have to be eaten to be beleived. They are magnificent. And one can copk for oneself if Stockholm becpmes too expensive. There is a small beach. And the island can be walked round with safety. No cars or roads. So it is quite rural. Thouroughly to be recommended. You can't go to Stockholm with out seeing the amazing Vasa museum, or taking many boat trips.

Room Tip: Rooms for couples are small with bunk beds and there didn't seem to be any cleaning for the week...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Langholmen Hostel? Share your experiences!