“disappointed/annoyed this time round” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #49 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Newfoundland
“disappointed/annoyed this time round”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and I am no longer as happy with it as I was last year. My wife and I were given a room that was so miniscule that there was only space enough for one suitcase to be open at a time. I found it strange that there was no soap in the bathroom. When I enquired at the desk later that evening, I was told by probably the most obnoxious receptionist I've ever encountered that I should simply use the body lotion or the body wash/shampoo. I've never been in a hotel that didn't provide hand soap!! To be fair, all the other staff at the reception desk during the time we were there were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel management appears primarily concerned with making money and the guest is literally bombarded with information about items for sale. This includes everything from the Frey's teddy bear on the bed, the Frey's body lotion + body wash/shampoo in the bathroom, the Frey's beer, or even the Frey's umbrellas. When we left, we mentioned that the room was very warm and the only way we could cool it was by leaving the window open all night (our room was on the same floor as the terrace so leaving the window open during the day when we were out was not an option). The receptionist stated that there was no air-conditioning in the hotel and asked us if there wasn't a fan in the room. There wasn't. Presumably only guests in certain rooms are entitled to a fan. A bit more attention to room cleanliness wouldn't have hurt either as there was quite a bit of dust in our room -- more than I've seen in other hotels during my last trips to Scandinavia. I can honestly say that I've seldom been so get out of a hotel room whether for the day or when we checked out. While other hotels may not be as conveniently located, there are some that I've stayed at in Stockholm that offer better value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
NinniBLO, Guest Relations Manager at Freys Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is very sad to hear that your visit at Freys Hotel wasn´t a satisfaction this time.We didnt show us from our best side unfortunately. It´s very sad and we will take care of all those things you mention in your review Thank you for staying at our hotel and we wish that you enjoyed your stay in Stockhom and hope seeing you again at Freys Hotels ! Best Regards Ninni Blomberg, Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Hotel is very nice, the location in very good, 5 min walking from the train station and very central, you can easily walk to the most touristic areas. Rooms are nice and clean, beds are comfortable and the bathroom in not too small and clean. I only had a problem with the hot water: I couldn't get it as hot as I wanted, but it was not cold either, so it was fine. Rooms are very quiet, as all the windows have double glass, a very important detail as you are in the city centre and the traffic could bother you. Another nice detail: you have curtains in the rooms, which is quite unusual in Sweden, but you really appreciate it when the sun comes out so early in the morning! The hotel personnel was always very nice, and the breakfast was really good, with a huge buffet with a great variety of different food. Overall, it was more than a pleasant stay, I surely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed at the hotel over a weekend from Friday to Monday as was significantly cheaper on the websites I viewed. This was possibly owing to business use during the week.

Location is ideal when travelling from the airport by either Flygbussarna or Arlanda Express and makes a great base as the public transport (bus and underground rail) are convenient for the hotel.

Had double rooms for single occupancy which were good, comfortable and very clean although a tad dated in terms of decoration. The rooms were also quiet.

Very good breakfast and the large breakfast area was very busy on Saturday. Of particular note was the bacon which was nicely cooked and probably the best I have tasted at hotels.

Very efficient and welcoming receptionists and very good staff in the breakfast area keeping everything neat and tidy.

Enjoyed our stay and would consider staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: Third floor facing the back of the hotel was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
El Jadida, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Well, as you can see, it was a three, but it was a close decision.

The hotel is fantastically situated, near the station and within walking distance of the Old Town and other areas visitors might want to see. It's spotlessly clean. The WiFi was fast and flawless. The staff were uniformly polite and enthusiastic. The breakfast was excellent and plentiful. The usual stuff was all there - shampoo and so on. You can make tea and coffee. It has a tradition and isn't a soulless chain hotel.

So why a 3 ? It's the room itself. I booked a standard single. OK, I don't expect a massive bed, or even a massive room, but what I got was a triangular shaped space at the end of a corridor. It had everything in it that I needed, but, my goodness, it was an awkward shape and it was tiny.I kept tripping over my suitcase. I won't quarrel about the bathroom - wetroom-type units don't bother me at all.

I just don't think this should be offered in a 4 star hotel at the price I paid. I noticed there was a door to the adjoining room. The room I had would've been fine for a kid sleeping next door to her parents.

I so wish I could have given a higher rating - I liked the hotel. I know that Stockholm is expensive, but space can't be at such a premium as to offer such a room.

I'd actually go back to the hotel - but only if I got a square-shaped room!

Room Tip: Avoid the triangular single rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Airlie Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed in a superior room with balcony in this boutique, charming hotel in November, 2012. We were in Stockholm for 9 nights and used the hotel as our base during that time. It started to feel like a home away from home. I originally chose this hotel as I wanted to be close to the city centre, was value conscious and I also liked the idea of having a balcony. I don’t regret my choice at all and have since made another booking with this great hotel. Next time, we will stay for longer.

The hotel is within throwing distance of the Arlanda Express. You can see the signs for the hotel as soon as you exit the station and there’s even a screen in the hotel lobby that will tell you when the next train to the airport is leaving. The hotel is situated on a small, dead-end street that connects to Drottninggatan (the walking street/mall). There are many shops and restaurants nearby and you’re well within walking distance of a supermarket (useful for stocking the kitchenette) and a tunnelbana station is also very close by.

I made the booking for the hotel online, on their own (English language) website, a few months in advance and received a early-booking discount. I also asked several questions via email, which were answered promptly and in a very helpful way.

The room we received faced into the courtyard area and not out onto the streets. We didn’t mind at all. The rooms all seem to be decorated in unique ways and the styling of our room did not disappoint. The inclusions were exactly as advertised and the quality was the same as in the photographs on their website.

We reached the hotel via the Arlanda Express, taking advantage of the proximity, speed and convenience. On our return to the airport, there were issues with the line and we took a taxi from the station. There’s a taxi rank right outside the station door.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. At night, the doors are locked, but there’s a buzzer and the staff were very quick to let us in. We saw the cleaning staff daily and they always said hello to us as we passed them in the corridor. Our room was always well cleaned and we were given many fresh towels.

Other points:
- I loved the cat paintings throughout the lobby and corridors. It’s a little quirky but it added colour, was fun and made me think of my cats at home.
- Cleaning staff are very helpful and accommodating.
- Late checkout is available for a small fee.
- Breakfast (smörgåsbord) was included and it was delicious with many options.
- The breakfast area was busiest on weekends. I’d recommend eating early.
- We arrived exactly on check in time and our room was ready.
- The room had a small kitchenette, which was a blessing. It had a fridge and two hot plates. We didn’t have any saucepans or anything similar in the room. To be fair, I didn’t ask about them or miss them. The in-room coffee options were a nice touch. The microwave was useful.
- The guests seemed to be a mix of business and leisure travellers. There seemed to be a number of conferences/meetings held during our stay.
- Overall, it was a great experience.

Finally, I noticed that I labelled my photos as being a "deluxe room with balcony". It was actually a "superior room with balcony" and, in my opinion, it couldn't have been better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Freys hotel is located just a 100 steps away from the train station where the Arlanda Express coming straight from the airport stops. The hotel is also very close locaed to the main shopping area. The hotel is profiled at a 4 star rate however that is too much credit. 3 Star is far more suitable. The rooms are small though cosy. The beds small and short with a very soft matras. The bathroom is small as well and very basic. Everything is clean but not very up to date. The closet is an open one and does not offer sufficient space when you want to hang all your garments. The hotel has a cosy bar offering an outstanding collection of beers. There is a terrace outside but you have to get in to order and take your consumptions. The hotel offers really unique and outstanding meeting rooms/facilities! The right hotel when you look for a convenient location. Wen you are a demanding guest; don't go.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Freys is a well-managed business hotel just a short distance from the central train station (direct train to the airport is worth the extra price). It is on a quiet side street, and my room backed onto a courtyard with no noise at all. Rooms are typical European business hotel, with functional work desk, small sofa, clean private bath. At these prices, don't expect hectares of open floor space. Staff was very helpful in getting power adapter to function. I arrived early, and just arranged to store bags until a room was ready. Breakfast buffet was up to swedish standards, more than ample. The restaurant converts to a Belgian theme for lunch and dinner, lots of beer choices and specialities like beef stew and rabbit. Quite reasonable and full of locals venturing into a Belgian theme.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Freys Hotel? Share your experiences!