“Photos are nicer than the reality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Birger Jarl

You added Hotel Birger Jarl to your Saves list
Hotel Birger Jarl
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tulegatan 8 | Box 19016, Stockholm 10432, Sweden (Norrmalm)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #34 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Warsaw, Poland
“Photos are nicer than the reality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Starting from the positive things, staff is very helpful and the breakfast is first class. Loved the mornings in the nicely arranged dining area with the delicious breakfast (local specialties include different kinds of herrings and cinnamon buns). The buffet was regularly refilled, coffee was nice.
The bad thing is unfortunately related to the rooms design. They differ a lot from what you see while booking the hotel. The rooms are average with not very comfortable bathroom and far from the pictures.
The neighbourhood is very nice though close to the metro station and walkable distance to the city centre.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

A nice hotel in the city center within walking distance of any attraction. I got a renovated room and enjoyed the good bed and perfect breakfast. As someone who is not eating meat I missed the smoked salmon but no big deal. Internet for free and friendly and helpful staff. Will for sure come back soon.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great value. Nice modern and very clean room. Was on 3rd floor and found it super quiet - couldn't believe how many people show up for breakfast! Breakfast was fantastic. Convenient location with a easy walk to central station or 3 minute walk to the tube station. Staff was all very friendly and helpful.

Internet was the main problem, and being here on business, it really sucked. Constantly having to login, and the speed was s l o o w.... web pages loaded really slowly which made my work hard to do. Skype calls were pretty much impossible to have any type of conversation, so was forced to call on my mobile and deal with roaming costs (big groan).

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Jenny H, Hotelldirektör at Hotel Birger Jarl, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Caroline L,

Thank you so much for your kind words, and thank you for sharing your experience here at Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us at Hotel Birger Jarl.
I have forwarded your comment regarding the internet connection in your room, since we know how important a good Wi-Fi connection is we always look into these matters and do our best to solve them as quickly as possible.
We have just now installed extra access points on some floors to hopefully prevent this from happening again. My sincere apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay.

I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will do my best to make your next stay with us as pleasant as possible.

Jarrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My partner and I picked this hotel for our three-night weekend break mostly for it's affordable price and decent location. Initially I thought we'd use the T-bana to get there but it was a nice day so we walked and it's far closer to the centre of town than the map suggests! Within 10 minutes we were in the centre, only 15 to Gamla Stan and we easily walked right down Birger Jarlsgatan to get to the Ostermalm area.

The staff were friendly and helpful, whether behind the desk or the bar, and though our room was a little on the small side (Rm 323), we have absolutely no complaints. The buffet breakfast has everything you could likely want and then some, the beers on tap at the bar were great choices, and the food in the restaurant was so delicious we ended up there twice after two long days of walking.

If we had one complaint, it was that the hotel wifi was painfully slow in the rooms, though much better in the bar area. It was a bit inconvenient when checking maps/directions, searching for places to eat nearby or catching up on the news at home, but other than that we had a great stay at the Birger Jarl and would stay there again.

Dear nataliepenguin,

We are happy to hear that you and your partner had a pleasant stay with us at Hotel Birger Jarl.
I have forwarded your comment regarding the slow internet connection in your room, since we know how important a good Wi-Fi connection is we always look into these matters and do our best to solve them as quickly as possible.

I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will do my best to make your next stay with us as pleasant as this was.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having stayed frequently in down town Stockholm I am fully aware how expensive these can be. So when a local work colleague booked me in the BirgerJarl for under 1000SK a night I wondered what sort of place I would find.
But as others have reported the BirgerJarl is a modern , clean business hotel with a smart reception/ bar/ restaurant area and fit for purpose accommodation.
Its immediate vicinity is quite quiet but there are enough bars and restaurants around to provide enough choice, although it is slightly further out than I am used to and it is a good 30 minute walk down to the Norrbro Bridge and across into the old town. However the Rådmansgatan T-bana station is only a five minute stroll away..
Would have no qualms to stay here again and for down town Stockholm it was very good value for money. But worth pointing out that the bar is reassuringly expensive and two rounds of G&T’s for our group of 5 came to more than my nightly room charge.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Jenny H, Hotelldirektör at Hotel Birger Jarl, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Steve_of_N21,

I am happy to hear that you and your colleague recommended us and that you had a pleasant stay with us at Hotel Birger Jarl.
I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Can't speak highly enough of this hotel. Where to start...
- Breakfast was amazing- all kinds of food available. A particular favourite was the waffle maker!
- Staff couldn't do too much for us, made us feel welcome.
- Very clean although don't expect a massive room.

Dear Emlosmailmo,

We are happy to hear that you had a great stay with us at Hotel Birger Jarl and that you enjoyed our breakfast and especially the waffles. We hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for a few nights. When I booked I was concerned that it might be too far from the centre of town, but this was not the case and also meant I stumbled across some great restaurants and bars in the local area. Overall the hotel is modern, clean, well equipped and the breakfast was great! The greatest aspect for me was that this hotel is reasonably priced. If you can cope with being just a little bit out of the centre of town, go for this place.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Birger Jarl? Share your experiences!