For our three day trip to Stockholm we chose Hotell Kung Carl for its central location. We arrived early and were happy to check-in at eight in the morning. The front desk staff was always very accommodating to any of our requests.
We had a First floor room facing Birger Jarlsgatan. Room was clean, spacious enough for two people and the noise from the street was almost non-existent. After a full day's walk in brisk October weather the bed provided a very good sleep. As the hotel is eco-labeled, they don't provide amenities in the rooms. If you need them, though, all the necessities including body lotions and vanity kits may be collected from the lobby.
Breakfast was quite good. Not overly inventive but enough basics to keep you fully satisfied until late lunch. As a side note, from the dining room you can spot Pocket on the opposite side of the street, a newish restaurant that provides moderately priced French-Swedish bistro grub. Think two starters and two mains (huge portions) without drinks for a little under 600 crowns. ”Moderately priced” for Stockholm, mind you, it's a really expensive city.
Hotel is only a couple of blocks from Östermalmstorg subway station (Tunnelbana in Swedish). We'd suggest taking the Red line to Hornstull and finding a restaurant called Barbro on the bank side right next to the bridge. They serve fabulous Asian-inspired food for local crowds. Absolutely great service and delicious dishes (spicy tuna and duck liver, for example) were one of the highlights for our trip. Book a table or turn up early, as the restaurant was really busy on a Wednesday night.
For those enjoying vegetarian food, you won't go wrong with Hermans (Fjällgatan) at the other end of Södermalm. Spicy and again, you can enjoy it without breaking the bank.
In addition to usual suspects like Vasa Museum or Abba Museum, we also encourage you to try one of the walks organized by Free Tour Stockholm. As the name implies, they are free although you definitely want to tip your guide afterwards.
Returning to the actual hotel review, we thought whether to award the hotel three or four stars. When compared to hotels in other parts of the worlds, even in Europe the Stockholm hotel prices are really high. Hence, the value for money is really open for discussion. But I suppose we need to rate the hotels in relation to other hotels in the area and decided to go with four stars.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Premier Hotell Kung Carl Hotel Stockholm
- Best Western Premier Hotell Kung Carl Hotel
- Best Western Hotel Stockholm
- Best Western Stockholm
- Stockholm Best Western
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Classic Hotel offers modern comforts and amenities, set in the Financial and Commercial center of the city; staff is multilingual. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Agoda, EasyToBook, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Expedia so you can book your Best Western Premier Hotell Kung Carl reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.