My entire family stayed at the Scandic Foresta this summer for three nights, ages ranging from 5 to 75. While the first room my mother was placed in felt quite cramped and had half of its window blocked by an exterior wall, the hotel staff was very accommodating in transferring her to another part of the hotel upon request, one of the rooms in the tower with a nice view of the lake. All of the rooms were clean and comfortable, although there were signs of deterioration on the hallway walls in the section of the hotel that the bulk of our family was situated in. None of this deterioration was visible inside the rooms themselves.
The surrounding area is very quiet and peaceful, located immediately adjacent to Millesgården (which was worth a see), and an enjoyable 10-15 minute walk across the bridge (or you can catch a bus near the hotel) to the Ropsten train station that will connect you into downtown Stockholm. The biggest draw back for us was upon arrival to the airport, where we realized the extraordinary expense of reaching the hotel. Since there were so many of us, the airport train into Stockholm at some US$40 per person (which would necessitate further travel still to the hotel) was prohibitively expensive. We settled on three taxis for the twelve of us, which still cost a fairly steep US$100 for each taxi fare from the airport directly to our hotel. Note that the ferry port is close to the hotel.
The included breakfast offered a nice assortment of the usual fare, boiled and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, along with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, knackebrod, pate, deli meats and cheeses, jams, yogurt, cereals, blueberry soup, juice, coffee, tea and fruits. I would recommend steering clear of their buffet dinner experience however, as both the variety and quality of food was disappointing, coming in at a flat expense of over US$50 per person. I understand however that the buffet is only done every once in a while, and that often you can order a la carte for dinner service, though we did not try that. Unfortunately, there are very few restaurants in the area, but for something tasty, I would recommend checking out the cafe next door at Millesgården (you do not need to pay admission to eat there).
The hotel lobby includes a small children's play area with various toys and a game console, and nearby is a storage room for your baggage, in the event that you would like to have the hotel keep your bags after you check out. To note, the baggage holding room is locked electronically by the front desk and is opened for public access upon request.
All in all, Scandic Foresta was a reasonable, quiet place to stay. Not in perfect repair (some parts of the hotel were under active construction), but I would consider it clean, the staff was very pleasant and the rooms served their purpose. A little bit out of the way in the quiet upscale island suburb of Lidingö, but if you don't mind walking to the trains and buses, and can stomach the travel expense from the airport (or arrive by ferry), I think this hotel is quite nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The impressive Scandic Foresta hotel is located on Lidingo island in Stockholm's central archipelago, only 15 minutes from Stockholm city centre.The Scandic Foresta hotel lets you explore both Stockholm and the charming Lidingo island. Lidingo offers great opportunities for outdoor activities throughout the year. Enjoy walking, biking, a round of golf or head into the city centre to experience all that Stockholm has to offer. Don't miss a visit to neighbouring Millesgarden, the home and art gallery of the famous artist Carl Milles.Scandic Foresta has been an important meeting place since 1910 when Wilhelmina Shogh first opened the doors to her castle on the cliff. At the Scandic Foresta hotel you can arrange a meeting or conference in one of our 13 meeting rooms, or plan an event in the castle turret. In the evening you're welcome to enjoy a delicious dinner in our hotel restaurant, with views over Stockholm and its waters. At the hotel you can also enjoy our lobby bar, shop and gym as well as free access to wireless internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Scandic Foresta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Scandic Foresta Stockholm
- Scandic Foresta Hotel Stockholm
- Best Western Sweden
- Stockholm Best Western