“good and bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Turku, Finland
“good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked 2superior rooms,rooms were on 4floor (Paid 160e for one room).Noise from outside of hotel was terrible at nighttime.Rooms kind of nice but not what you see in internet.The biggest problem was very dirty rooms (i dont know who cleans them but omg,i have been in many hotels around the world and never seen so dirty rooms)I got the feeling that everything is done with sloppy style in the hotel,many things broken and not fixed.And now the good points breakfast was excellent,check-in and check out perfect!!!Nice location and nice staff overall.Will i stay again maybe-maybe not,good and bad like my title was but hotel must do something to this bad points because I could with same price go to Helsinki and book 5star hotel Hotel Kamp (were all the famous people around the world stay).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear FinlandTurku,
We’re glad you liked our breakfast, location and staff. I’m so sorry to hear that your room didn’t get properly cleaned. This is really not how it’s supposed to be and if you should encounter something like this again, let us know right away and we will take care of it at once. I’ll pass this on to our cleaning staff.
If you come back to Stockholm we still hope you would like to stay with us again, we would love a second chance to give you a great stay!
Matilda Sjöberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I recently stayed in Scandic Malmen for five nights. The hotel is a bit outside of the city center but very well connected with public transportation as there is a metro station just outside the hotel. City center is actually a short walk and the old town of Stockholm is not that far.
The hotel itself is a typical Scandic hotel. Check-in was very efficient and quick. My room was on the sixth floor. There are three elevators which are too slow in my opinion. One of the elevators was out of order for three days.
The room itself was a bit on the small side and the bathroom was tiny The room and bathroom however were very clean and housekeeping was very good for all the days. I had read reviews that noise was a problem in some of the rooms but I have nothing to complain about in that regard. The water pressure was not powerful enough in my opinion. The hairdryer was ok - not the typical hotel type but one with actual drying power.
The fitness room was not that big and contained two treadmills, a stationary bike and an elliptical machine as well as twoo fitness balls and some free weights.
Breakfast selections was quite good. Breakfast is served in a room that serves as a bar and restaurand during the nigth. That room is fairly dark and not at all suited as a breakfast room.
All in all an ok stay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi Gudrunjenny,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review regarding your stay, we appreciate feedback like yours. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and cleanliness.
We´re so sorry that one of the elevators was out of order during your stay. We always do our best to solve technical issues immediately but sometimes this is not possible and we have to wait a few days.

I do hope that you would like to visit us at Scandic Malmen again if you come back to Stockholm. We would really like a second chance to give you a great stay!

Vihti Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

A neat and clean hotel with a very central location. Stayed for one night for business and could definitely stay again. Good service and an excellent level of cleanliness. The location leaves some space for improving the parking facilities but several parking houses are located within a walking distance. The hotel lobby bar seems to attract some activity during late hours but not effecting the overall comfort of the rooms.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mikko,

Thank you for sharing this nice review. We´re glad to hear you enjoyed our good service, cleanliness and convenient location.
Hope to see you back as a guests with us if you come to Stockholm again.

san antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Like one of the reviewers below, I had a room below ground (subterranean). If you like sunlight, that room is not for you; but if you're like me--who likes to hibernate like a bear--the underground rooms are just fine (and completely, wonderfully, totally dark when you want it to be dark! And in Sweden in the summer, that can be tough). Staff was friendly, location is great: I walked to the Gamla Stan all the time (about 15 minute walk, just across a bridge). The hotel itself is right next to a big plaza that was full of happy, carousing Swedes well into the night. So: the hotel itself is no frills, but I was happy enough.

Room Tip: Subterranean rooms really do have no windows. If you like total dark, that's great. If that woul...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your review, it makes us really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I agree that the rooms below ground can be extra convenient for a good nights sleep during summertime here in Sweden.
Hope to see you back with us at Scandic Malmen again, you are always welcome!

Matilda
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights while in Stockholm for a conference. I had a good experience and would stay again, but it is a must to ask for a quiet room in a high floor. I got a 6th floor back corner room and it was still loud, but didn't bother me too much. There are no amenities, like shampoo, toiletries, concierge, etc. To store my luggage when I arrived they sent me to take my own suitcase to the storage room. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and accommodating with every interaction. The answer was always yes! The rooms are wood floors, fairly modern, with extremely small bathrooms, no drawers and nothing to put suitcase on, but clean and very comfortable. Breakfast is perfectly fine although in the same room as the very popular bar so smells a bit like the night before. It is a safe area with restaurants and shops plus only a 10 minute walk to the old city and royal palace. Important for me, a female traveling alone. The price of the room for the room, over $400 per night seemed high considering it is the most basic hotel I have stayed in for business. That said, it exceeded my expectations and I think the price is in line with other Stockholm hotels. A wonderful city and a good experience at the Scandic Malmen.

• Stayed June 2013
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi JSJS,

Thank you for writing this review, what a nice one to read. So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and especially your kind words regarding the staff, I will let them know. We do have toiletries in the room. We just started a new collaboration and have products from lovely FACE Stockholm in all rooms, so sorry if they were missing in yours!
I hope we will see you as a guest at Scandic Malmen soon again, you are always welcome!

Stoke-on-trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was faultless. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in (junior suite) was superb, trendy decor, super comfy bed, monsoon shower. Usually hotel bars are a bit drab but the bar areas in the Scandic Malmen seemed like the place to be with a great buzz/vibe. The breakfast was a delight with a wide selection of hot and cold food buffet style. The hotel is in a great central location and next door to tube station which was really handy. All in all it easily exceeded our expectations and will definitely stay here again when we return to Stockholm.

Room Tip: Rooms higher are quieter especially on Friday and Saturday night. I.e 3rd floor and above.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear ChesireSage,
Thank you for writing this review, what a nice on to receive. We´re so happy that you liked everything about your stay and especially glad to hear your kind words regarding the staff, I will let them know! Our location is indeed very convenient in the middle of lovely Södermalm with all its restaurants, coffee shops and bars.
Welcome back, we look forward to having you as our guest again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

From the second we walked in we felt welcome ! Every member of staff we met had the same attitude, they were happy to have us as guests ! The cool bars at the hotel are super happening and the neighborhood as well. The perfect place to spend the weekend with the love of your life, or for a shoppingtrip with your girlfriends. Spacious rooms and modern design, cool and quirky artwork are the perfect frame for this gem of a hotel. Extra bonus is breakfast is healthy and plentyful and is open until 11 sat and 12 !! Sunday. We will definatly be back soon.

• Stayed June 2013
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you GerinyG for your nice review. We´re so happy that you liked everything about your stay and especially glad to hear your kind words regarding the staff, I will let them know for sure!

I hope that we will see you back as our guests at Scandic Malmen again soon, you are always welcome!
Matilda

Been to Scandic Malmen? Share your experiences!