“Ok business hotel” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gotgatan 49 - 51, Stockholm 102 66, Sweden   |
Ranked #78 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
“Ok business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for the duration of a week and left with a mixed bag of experiences.
First of all the location of this hotel is very good. Located just a few meters away from the nearest Metro station you can easily get around town. The area around the hotel has plenty of restaurants, shops and bars. Great for people watching too!
The rooms are clean and tidy but very small. Not to mention the toilets! In my case I could not sit on the toilet because the paper roll holder was in the way of my legs. Other than that I don't mind small rooms because I only sleep there. The room I had was quiet and I was never bothered by any noise. I can imagine that it's different if you stay on the first floors. The hotel has a well visited disco that will blast techno well into the night.
The front desk was good on basic services but terrible with any extras. I had several envelopes left for me at the front desk and NOT ONCE did I get a message that they were there. I had to insist and beg for them to locate my envelopes.
Last but not least, the internet connection at the hotel is under all standards terrible! Oh my God how can you be in Sweden in 2013 and not even be able to get into your gmail without the connection timing out. And forget about youtube or streaming anything. Booo for that.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first or second floor. You'll hear the music from downstairs!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear MiSaCh,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review about your stay, we really appreciate feedback from our guests. I am glad to hear that you like our convenient location and your room.
What you describe about your envelopes is not at all how we want our service to be like. We take a lot of pride in being service minded and we think we usually are. We’re really sorry about your experience and we’ll pass this on to our reception to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Also sorry to hear about the problem with your WIFI, normally our WIFI works fine so it seems like there must have been something with the connection in your room. If you should encounter something like this again let us know right away and we will do our best to solve it for you.
Matilda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel had gotten a facelift since I stayed there a few years ago, and is now a very good if unspectacular option in Stockholm.
Good rooms with the buzz of Södermalm right outside, with plenty of bars and good eating options within walking distance. Free wifi a bonus. Especially liked the fact that the big buffet breakfast is served until 2 pm on Sundays.

Dear StoffeH,
Thank you so much for your review, what a nice one to receive this Thursday morning! It makes us happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and Södermalm. Welcome back to us again soon, we look forward to see you here.
Abidjan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The rooms were far smaller than I expected. I could hardly find a place for my bags. The lifts could not take mother than 3/4 persons at any time. And the front desk guys "just did their job".

I was also surprised that for a hotel in Stockholm, there was no CNN and no French-speaking television stations on the bouquet.

On the positive side, it is well situated, and you dont gor far to eat or shop.

Room Tip: Request for the higher rooms. Then you get a better view of Stockholm. The odd-numbered rooms are t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear NnennaWestAfrica,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us, we always appreciate feedback from our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location, but of course I am sorry you found your room to be smaller than expected. The size of our rooms varies between different room categories, if you prefer a very spacious room I would recommend to book a Superior room for your next stay. There is no CNN but we do have BBC World at our TV’s. Unfortunately we don’t have any French-speaking television either; I hope you could find something else to watch during your stay.
Welcome back to us at Scandic Malmen again, I hope that you would like to give us another chance to give you a great stay!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at the scandic malmen for four nights on business.

The room was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The room also featured ample desk space, an ironing board, and plenty of electrical outlets---all good features for a business stay. Also, I appreciated that the wi-fi was included in the price, though it was a bit slow. The bathroom was tiny (there is no counter space to speak of), but not that out of the ordinary.

The location was excellent, also -- the hotel is right on top of a t-bana station and there are plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, and bars around. The hotel bar is also quite lively at night.

The breakfast was good, though standard for a hotel chain. I also appreciated that the hotel sells coffee, sandwiches, and snacks for take-away in the lobby. My only complaint is that I wish there was also an in-room coffee option.

I would stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Dear Makeittso,
We´re really glad you liked it here and that you enjoyed your room and its features. Our location is indeed very convenient in the middle of lovely Södermalm with all its restaurants, coffee shops and bars. Also glad you found the hotel bar and liked it!
Sorry you were missing coffee in your room, our Superior rooms do have an in-room coffee option but our Standard rooms doesn’t, maybe you can book a Superior room next time.
Thank you for your kind words and hope to see you back with us again soon!
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed at Scandic Malmen for 2 nights.
Rooms: Very nicely decorated. Whilst a small room, the decoration gives you a really positive feeling. Very clean rooms.
Premises: A very lively hotel with several bars/restaurants. A very good location and so many nice restaurants, etc nearby.
Reception: Staff was friendly.
Breakfast: Nothing special, but it fills you for sure.
Overall: Would recommend this hotel. Clean and nicely decorated rooms in a perfect location of Stockholm.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hello Helsinki1972,
Thank you for your review. We´re glad that you liked your room and the friendly staff.
It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed our bars and the restaurant, it is very popular among locals as well. Soon we will update our restaurant with a new summer menu, hopefully we will see you back with us again in a near future and you can try it out!
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We've stayed here 4 times. They've all been good but the last time was exceptional! We had the most wonderful room you can imagine. In fact, it was hard to leave the room because it was such a paradise. For value this is not the best choice - that's why I only gave it 4 stars - but for overall experience, this place ROCKS!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi RobinLocksley,
Thank you so much for writing this great review, it makes us really happy to hear that you loved your room as much you didn’t want to leave. We’re glad you think that Scandic Malmen rocks – so do we!
Welcome back to us again soon, we look forward!
Best regards,
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was put on the first floor, with a music club just below. Traveling on business and looking to rest at nights, this was a big mistake. Loud music playing all night. Phoned the reception that said the hotel is fully booked and they couldn't give any of the empty guaranteed rooms. I just wonder why they are better clients and why my original request of a higher floor could not be met.

The location is nice and the room newly renovated. Still I would never come back. Better to book a quiet hotel and come here for drinks if that's what you want. There are many hotels that offer better value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Peter J,
i am so sorry to read that you were not happy about your stay with us! Perhaps the rooms available were in another room cathegory and that was the reason why they were not able to change your room. I hope that you would like to give us another chance and choose to come back to us!
Best Regards
Elin Roquet
Hotel Manager

Been to Scandic Malmen? Share your experiences!