“Most astonishingly rude staff and difficult check in I have ever encountered” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Anglais

You added Scandic Anglais to your Saves list
Scandic Anglais
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Humlegardsgatan 23, Stockholm 102 44, Sweden (Östermalm)   |
Ranked #86 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
London, United Kingdom
“Most astonishingly rude staff and difficult check in I have ever encountered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had booked and pre-paid for a double room a month in advance of a weekend trip. After queuing for 15 mins, then checking in, I found the room had 2 single beds. After a long day walking around the city with a backpack, I quite fancied stretching out in a double bed (I had the room to myself). I went back to request this (I had to queue again), was given a new room, and found that this was half the size and had one single bed. Back down to check in a third time (complete with 3rd 15 minute queue), I reiterated my request and was told that a room with a double bed would be a 170 SEK surcharge, despite my pre-booking saying I already had this. I begrudgingly paid this, then went upstairs for the fourth time to find a room that had two single beds - same as my first room. Exasperated, I went back down to reception, queued again, and explained the situation was still not satisfactory. The member of staff then asked me why I wanted a double bed given I was travelling alone! I was pretty taken aback at this, but did keep my cool. I was then told that the only free room in the hotel that had a double bed was next to the bar, and there was a live band that night until 1am. I accepted this, and then, as the staff member was handing my fifth(!) room key over, he said he felt compelled to remind me that I was not allowed to bring back a member of the opposite sex that evening regardless of how late I got in. I was travelling alone, with my girlfriend back in London, and was completely insulted by this. It was such a bizarre comment to make.

The whole experience was the worst I have ever been treated by any business, anywhere, ever. At no point did I raise my voice or be rude to the check-in staff, despite having made 5 trips (with luggage) between room(s) and lobby.

The room I did end up staying in was loud, as warned, but until well beyond 1am. The included breakfast was served in the Jamie's Italian restaurant next door, but there was no information about this (the restaurant is a separate business at other times), which was confusing.

Room Tip: Apparently wanting a double bed hugely offends the staff, regardless of what you've booked or pa...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Excellent place to stay in the center of upscale shopping, clubs, restaurants and all city attractions. The underground is a minute away. Casual and relaxed atmosphere in the lobby and restaurants. The rooms are modern and updated.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with ScandicHotels.com

Borger, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is in the center of Stockholm. The rooms are good and clean. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to open a window for some fresh air. A very positive point is Jamie's Italian Restaurant within the hotel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with ScandicHotels.com

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel several times when in Stockholm. Nice location, easy to move by metro, great breakfast and cheap single rooms available. Hotel bar is a hotspot especially Fri and Sat nights so it can get a bit noisy.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Pauline L, Informationsansvarig at Scandic Anglais, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi Susannaka!

Thanks for writing this lovely review about your visits, I'm glad to read that you enjoy staying here! When you are travelling to Stockholm the next time, you are so very welcome back!

Kind regards,
Pauline
Umea, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The hotel is well located having many places to visit and eat. McDonald, Subway, 7/11, T. G. I. Friday's. The hotel itself has a bar and restaurant. Features a fitness center, the staff are well educated, the place is pretty nice. I was in a basement room, so had no windows, was aware of this, but I kind of weird, but the price was good and I was very little in the room. When the hotel restaurant tried to make a request of my room (there is a menu in each room) but after several attempts I gave up, the message said they estavão overcrowded requests. Easy access by subway (T-bana - Ostermalmstorg). It is possible to leave luggage at the hotel before check in and after check out to get more out of town while not going to the airport. The breakfast is wonderful, lots of choices.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Pauline L, Informationsansvarig at Scandic Anglais, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Pagliarini_Max,
Thank you for this nice review about your stay at Scandic Anglais! Wonderful to read that you like our convenient location, was well taken care of by the staff and love our breakfast. That’s exactly how we would like our guests to feel! Sorry to read about the problem with the room service, we have raised the problem with the restaurant manager to make sure that it won’t happen again. Once again, thank you for the time and feedback! I hope that I will have a chance to welcome you back to us.
Sincerely, Pauline
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

Had a nice stay at Scandic Anglais, I was looking for a budget hotel for the night before moving to a hotel with my work. I booked a cabin room (which I got for free courtesy of Hotels.com Welcome Rewards), the room was small and had no window and no refreshments, tea, coffee etc. The bathroom was small but had everything you would need. The bed was very comfortable. The only downside was that the bar was overhead and the thump of the music could be heard through the night, though this did not keep me awake. The WiFi was EXCELLENT, big kudos for that :)

Jamies Italian is a nice touch upstairs and the breakfast was excellent for a budget hotel. Location is right in central Stockholm. All in all, I would stay again - but perhaps pay a little extra for a room with a window!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear CiaranTrinity123,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay, we really appreciate feedback from our guests. I am happy to hear that you liked our cabin rooms, that the WiFi classified as excellent and that you also appreciated Jamie´s Italian and our breakfast!
Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by sounds from the bar, I hope that it was something that we could arrange for you right away by getting you another room, even though you got a good nights sleep. I’ll pass you feedback on about the isolation of the rooms directly located under the bar, and hope that I get the opportunity to welcome you back to Scandic Anglais! We have several other room categories with windows and other amenities if you prefer that on your next visit.
Kind regards, Pauline

Been to Scandic Anglais? Share your experiences!