“The basics” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Missoula, Montana
“The basics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is ideal for the budget traveler using public transportation as it is across the street from the bus and train station, and a shuttle bus will bring you there from the ferry. You can store your luggage while exploring the city. The room is just the basics - a bed, a desk, a chair, a TV, and a bathroom. Yet another European shower with no barrier on the floor between the shower and bathroom so that the whole floor is wet. The rooms are little boxes in the basement; the bed is in a corner so that a second person must crawl over. We are talking a small room! There is no window so you do not know if there is daylight or what the time is. The hotel is proud of being in a very green building which must explain the lack of a clock, a phone, or outlets in the bathroom. Being "green" made me feel better about being there, but after the night before with an inside cabin on the ferry, I could not wait to get to the next hotel with a WINDOW that opened. Being green must include no flashy sign because the hotel is very hard to find. We had to ask two people for help. I rate it average because of the helpful staff, the location, the pleasant decor, and the cleanliness but prepare to be shocked by the closeness. However, unlike some other reviewers, we found the air to be fresh and the right temperature. We only had to stay one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is not a 5* hotel and neither do you pay 5* prices - what you do get is a very clean, modern, city centre based hotel at prices we could not complain at.
We stayed for 2 nights in a windowless room but knew to expect this when booking (hence excellent price). Only downside to this was not knowing what clothes to wear as we didn't know what the weather was like!! (Again, can live with that for such a bargain price!).
As some other reviewers have mentioned, it is quite a difficult place to find (even our family who live in Stockholm had trouble finding it!). Look out for the green neon 'Kungsbron' sign high up on the building opposite the rear of the central train station (I was concerned about being so close to the train station but shouldn't have worried - the trains had no impact whatsoever to our stay).
Staff were very welcoming, helpful and offered lots of useful information.
We were visiting for a wedding and found the hotel to be perfectly placed for all venues.
We have visited Stockholm several times so no sight-seeing this time however, this hotel is in a great spot - within walking distance of the Old City, shopping, nightlife, etc.
We did not have breakfast at the hotel but this was only because family catered for us. From what we could see the restaurant looked clean and food looked fresh.
Stockholm is an expensive city and the Kungsbron Hotel is great value for money.
Would recommend but only for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

After the initial shock of a windowless room, I was moved to a new room, this one right next to ugly machinery (see picture) and railway tracks. The machinery is not only good looking but makes a lot of noise. There is no air conditioning, hence no air as windows are sealed. Carpets in the halway emit a terrible, eye-watering chemical smell. We are not talking about amenities but basic survival - air, quiet... Awful. This place cannot be cheap enough to make up for those basic failings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This hotel is "innovative and environmentally friendly using just half the energy of equivalent buildings." Well that's great - except that it has no air! When I walked into my room, in the basement, I could hardly breathe! The windows would not open and there was no air-con - apparently the temperature is controlled centrally. It was just boiling! Eventually, after 3 trips up to reception, I was given a fan which helped enormously. However, it really was a depressing, dark, airless room - and I'm not generally fussy about accommodation.

Other than that, it's definitely clean, in a good location and has friendly staff on reception. So, it's not horrific - if it had air!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I already have read all reviews about the rooms without windos and the great location of the hotel. But was happed with me was incredible. Im my country there in debit/credit card without chip. And in a developed country which is Stockholm, there is a hotel that could not accept a debit card, because they do not have a system for a debit car. So if you are travelling with a prepaid card or a debit card, it can not work there. So, the solution that the front desk gave me was, go to the ATM to take the money. I comming from a long trave, with a heave baggage in a rainy day. I paid more 6,38%, in my credit card, because in my contry international expenses have tax. I was the price for my rest. We paied for the breakfast for 4 days x 2 guests.
In the next morning, the person in charge asked us about the tickets for the breakfast. We gave to her 1 ticket, thinking is was for 2 guests. After her explanation that is one for each, we had a surprise that we paied for 8 breakfast ticket and had received only 4 tickets.
I hope nothing worst happen.
The bed is good, the shower is fine. The location is good, but the way that they inform for who arrive from Arlana is not much easy. Who arrive from Arlana, must have take the elevator in the end the train. This elevation will let you in the Kungsbron street, besides one hotel. So take your left, and pas front the bus terminal, cross the street in front of the bus terminal, and cross the bridge over the train lines, and the frist street on left, is the hotel building. There is a lot of blue containers...in front of the windows of the hotel..

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is a good little hotel, the staff are friendly and efficient offering a high standard of service. It is very conveniently located, although not the easiest to find on first arrival. We had a room with a window which looked onto the station, this may seem a problem but the insulation coating on the window also renders it opaque from the outside. The only drawback was the lack of fully controlled air conditioning.

Room Tip: A lot of rooms are windowless, if you like natural light get a window.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Czech republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed there for 7 nights and I was satisfied with my stay there. I knew what to expect. The staff was kind and smiling.
I had no problem with windowless room. The room looks newly furnished and was nice and clean, the bathroom (incl. hair dryer) too. I only missed a wardrobe, there was only few hooks and hangers on the wall. Probably due to lack of space in the room.
I made a reservation for single room and I got room with double bed - the bed was very comfortable (neither too soft nor too hard). I have problem with my back in many hotel beds - here I had not.
I also had no problem with air condition - the temperature of room was good for me.
The breakfest was similair as in many other hotels - ham, cheese, pate, vegetables, boiled eggs, several kind of bread, corn flakes, fruit compote, yogurt, milk, tea, coffee machine, machine for fresh orange juice. Also scrambled eggs with bacon was available, but the scrabled eggs was strange - 'special' consistency - probably swedisch style :) The price of breakfast was not so high, taking into account the high cost of living in Sweden.

As was many times said here in comments the biggest advantage is the location - opposite to Central station (train, bus, airport bus, subway) and cca 8 minutes to City hall. And it was also close walk way from center (eg. Gamla Stan).
I chose the hotel also because of its price - one of cheapest 'classical' hotel (except hostels) in center of Stockholm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kungsbron Hotel? Share your experiences!