“When I win the lottery...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

You added Hotel Skeppsholmen to your Saves list
Hotel Skeppsholmen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grona gangen 1 | Box 1616, Stockholm SE-111 86 , Sweden   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Nice, France
“When I win the lottery...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I plan to get a permanent room here. Two years ago when I was in Stockholm I walked past this hotel and thought it was so lovely, I stopped in and had a cup of tea. This time we stayed there, and from the moment I arrived the staff made me feel welcomed and cared for. The staff was always kind and considerate. The room was lovely. The restaurant was very good. And it was only steps away from the Modern Museum of Art which was also a surprise with it's wonderful collection.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this nice review!
Very glad you visited us 2 years ago for tea and this time you stayed with us.
Be assure I will inform my team about your review.

I am crossing my fingers so you should win the lottery! The room is ready for you..

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had to wait a bit beyond check-in time for our accommodations, but the wait was well rewarded with an upgrade to a sumptuous suite. The Hotel Skeppsholmen was the perfect base from which to explore Stockholm. Located on the serene wooded island of Skeppsholmen, all the hustle and bustle of the city was across the water. With a ferry and bus just a few steps from the hotel, access to any the part of the city was easy. In fact, one could easily walk to the center of town.

The hotel left virtually nothing to be desired. Spotlessly clean, extremely comfortable, with a courteous and caring staff and a sumptuous breakfast, we reveled in the tranquility of the facility and its surroundings. The view form the windows of our third floor rooms was bucolic. Lunch on the patio was equally as pleasing. Unless you seek night-life, noise, or normal lavatories (see photos elsewhere), there could be no more of a perfect place to call home while in Stockholm

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors of the main building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.
Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from a stunning location, our comfortable Scandinavian design, our complimentary breakfast to the service from my team.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to your "home" in Stockholm soon again.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We chose this hotel mainly due to the great reviews on TA. I have to say that the reviews were spot on, and this hotel was central to our great experience in Stockholm. We traveled with our 3 year old son, who enjoyed hanging out and playing in the outside areas. We appreciated the stuffed animals that came with his baby cot, it was a nice touch. We had dinner at the hotel on our first night, and even though the menu is not extensive, the food was good, especially dessert! Our son enjoyed the meatballs and mashed potatoes. The staff was very helpful, courteous, and attentive. The reception desk staff was also very friendly and accommodating with our requests. We asked to be moved to a higher floor, even though our room was nice and the next day we were moved to the second floor. The breakfast was lovely, especially since you can sit outside and enjoy the sunshine in the Summer. The buffet included lots of breads, croissants, eggs, sausages, bacon, Swedish toast, different types of yogurt with toppings bar, fresh juices, salmon, fruit, and cheese.
My only suggestion would be to bring an eye mask if staying here in the Summer since the light would flood the room (even with the shutters closed) and wake us up at 4am! It would be nice if the hotel added black out blinds / curtains for the Summer months, but this is such a small detail. Comfortable beds and pillows.
All in all a very nice, quiet hotel with a pleasant 10 minute walk into town, a 10 minute ferry ride to Gamla Stan, and a bus stop nearby. I would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review. Very glad to read that you found us on tripadvisor.
My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I agree! It is magical to sit outside on our terrace surrounded by water and eat breakfast and still be in the city centre.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco Labeled Hotel.

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Kent, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Recently returned from a four night stay with another couple. The hotel is in a beautiful location for a city centre hotel and the garden and terrace are an oasis in the heat of summer. Skeppsholmen is beautiful and fairly easy to get to and from using a combination of walking, the 65 bus and the Djurgarden ferry. The hotel has been beautifully converted and we really like the Swedish concept of modern minimalism mixed with rustic touches such as wooden boards for side plates and strawberries growing in baskets at the entrances.
In terms of location there is some noise from Grona Lund (Stockholm's large waterfront fun fair on Djurgarden) but we enjoyed hearing the squeals of fear and delight of the (probably) younger generations being hurled around in various ways by the terrfiying (for us) new rides.
In the main we really enjoyed the hotel, its design concept, and the food was great without exception. We found the service good and as always when in Sweden appreciated that staff speak very good English
However, as others have commented there are some communication problems. For example, we booked 2 superior sea view rooms and ended up with two rooms of completely different sizes and with different bed sizes. We were not given a choice at check in to decide which couple would have which room and the person with a disability (we had informed them of this beforehand) ended up really struggling in what was a very small and therefore, for them, hazardous space. I understand that these smaller rooms have now been renamed as standard rooms. However, they are still advertised as having a queen bed but, for the UK, they are no larger than what we would call a small double. The shower has a semi-opaque glass wall and so anyone else in the room can see the outline of the person in the shower. We were pleased to experience the unusual sink but they really are no good for rinsing out smalls should you run out! We paid extra for a 'sea view' and whilst you can see the harbour it is not a view out to sea as one might expect. It would be more accurate to describe it as harbour or waterfront view. We also could not understand the daily change of towels and light left on from an ecological point of view..
When we discovered the room discrepency we did raise it with reception. However, the person we spoke to was the same person who checked us in and when we went back they had not had the promised discussion with the manager. Another member of reception did speak with him and acknowledged that they had had these problems about the room descriptions (standard/superior) for a while and so offered us a discount and apology. The room categories have now been renamed as standard, standard sea view and superior XL with sea view. I think that they may be heading for further difficulties calling a room that is simply larger than standard as 'XL'. They are not extra large just larger than standard so why risk people feeling misled/misinformed again? Just call them superior and describe then as larger.
We would hope to return to the hotel and would recommend it to others. It is clear the hotel manager has an ethos of trying to resolve customer dissatisfaction and we appreciated the response to our concerns.

Room Tip: Choose superior XL if you can afford it
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! Your feedback is very important to us.
As glad I am that you enjoyed your stay with us I am sorry for the inconvenience regarding our room categories and the communication problems. I have talked to my colleagues who worked during your stay.

In March we changed names on our room categories so a Superior Sea and Garden room is now a Standard Sea and Garden room, we did the name change so it would be more clear and accurate for our guests.

So today our room categories are:

Standard room ( parkview)
Standard sea and garden room
Superior XL room ( parkview)
Deluxe sea and garden view
Junior suites and suite

You had booked 2 superior sea and garden rooms and when you checked in you got 2 rooms in the same room category but it's correct that one of the rooms you got is a little bit bigger and have a larger bed. Since the buildings are historical from 1699 and the layout of the buildings are intact from around 1710 some of the rooms in one room category can vary a little. I am sorry that my colleague at check in didn't inform you that one of the rooms you got is a little bit bigger and would suit your friend with disability better and also sorry that we didn't get back to you straight away.

Once again I am sorry for the inconvenience we caused you but I am very glad to read that you would like to return to us.

I hope you enjoyed our stunning capital!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have to admit coming to Hotel Skeppsholmen was a slight bit of culture shick after spending 10 over the top days on the Crystal Serenity. The rooms are Swedish Modern and as a previous reviewer had mentiond the sink has a convex stone over the drain.Takes a bit of getting used to. After staying an hour my wife and my self were totally captivated by the hotel and the beautiful buccolic surroundings just a 15 minute walk to the city. After a rigorus day of sight seeing to be able to return to this setting is just wonderful. The staff at times is not quite sure how some things work in the room. For example we discoverd the second thermostat in our rooms which made out room temp perfect. Saying that, the staff is ever willing to be helpful and to go out of their way to accomodate.We had a very eary departure and the staff had delicious gravlax sandwiches and coffee prepared for us to take on the cab ride. The breakfast is quite a treat and a major money saver if you stay at a hotel that doesn't include breakfast.
Do not miss the Modern Museum a 3 minute walk from the hotel and definitely take a stroll in early evening or morning around the island.
When we return to Stockholm we can't think of any place we would rather stay.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this nice review!
Very glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
I can imagine it was a you write a cultural chock to check in to our historical buildings from 1699 after being on a ultra modern luxury cruise ship.

My team and I are looking forward to welcome you back next time you visit our capital.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The staff of this hotel is superb. They made our stay in beautiful Stockholm even better by helping us with bike rentals, taxis, reservations, directions, laundry, and shipping needs. They were truly personable and took the time to remember little details. The breakfast was as exceptional as the other reviewers noted. The lunch and dinner are equally wonderful. An example of the service: we arrived back late, just as the restaurant was about to close, yet the server encouraged us to order whatever we wished. We liked our room, which faced the garden and seemed like it might be quieter than those that face the restaurant, courtyard and water. The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and garden like. We weren't traveling with children, but if you are, its a great location where children can ramble without fear of cars. Highly recommend!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and extra glad to read your comments about my team.
Very pleased to read you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and that you enjoyed lunch and dinner in our restaurant Långa Raden.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Stockholm in the future.

Oceanside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I looked forward to my stay here as an antidote to much stress from every day life. I honestly found it at Hotel Skeppsholmen. It is a gracious, stylish boutique hotel gently awash in majestic history.
The staff seem genuinely happy to be helpful and are intelligent as well as kind. We enjoyed our 25th. Anniversary and recommend this hotel to Americans as well as Europeans.
Caryn

• Stayed July 2013
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.
My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also very pleased to read that you stayed with us during your 25th anniversary and I hope you enjoyed our stunning capital.

Best and I hope to welcome you back soon again.

Managing Director

Been to Hotel Skeppsholmen? Share your experiences!