“Top quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

You added Hotel Skeppsholmen to your Saves list
Hotel Skeppsholmen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grona gangen 1 | Box 1616, Stockholm SE-111 86 , Sweden   |
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 15%
Ranked #4 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Helsinki, Finland
“Top quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We spent our new year's eve here, everything was perfect and the free Byredo soaps and perfumes were the icing on the cake. Top service: we had to ask for a second duvet since the one that was there was too small, and we received it immediately after. Finally, one of the best breakfasts we have ever had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review!
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are very proud over our toiletries from Byredo to our eco friendly breakfast.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.
Joachim Olausson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ostersund, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Excellent hotel, stay there and enjoy. Nice garden.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Durham, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This is the perfect place to stay in Stockholm if you are visiting for pleasure. It is centrally located -- you can walk anywhere in 15 minutes -- but very peaceful and relaxing at the same time. The hotel offers a huge breakfast (we just ate breakfast and dinner while visiting) that you can just take out to the garden and enjoy. The staff is excellent without being stuffy or overly formal. Our room was small but we were expecting that when we booked.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for this lovely review!
Glad to hear you enjoyed our location which I agree is peaceful and relaxing and at the same time we are located in the city centre. Glad you enjoyed breakfast and restaurant and be assure I will inform my team about your kind words about them and the service.

Best and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our capital.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Stylish hotel on a great location! Great restaurant with a nice garden and terrace. Great staff at the hotel and the Front Desk even got us on the guest list to a popular club! Comfy beds and wonderful toiletries from Byredo.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for this nice review! Glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
Yes our toiletries from Byredo are very nice and we are proud that they have done a unique scent candle for us called Pavilion after our Ice Skating Pavilion.
Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Bronxville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am amazed to find this is now the #3 rated hotel on TripAdvisor -- better even than the Lydmar just up the street!

I was going for a family wedding and the main party was up the street at the Lydmar but I wanted to be close but have some privacy. There was a fair price for the Skeppsholmen at the time, and having been to Stockholm with my Swedish friends before and gone to Skeppsholmen to see the art museum I knew exactly where it was and it sounded nice. And the location is, without question, great, although it is a bit difficult to find with a car (walking over the bridge and along the coast is not a problem though).

My mother decided to book the same hotel with her friend and arrived a day before me, and was amazed when they told her they had no record of my booking. She was able to quickly produce the confirmation I had sent her before, and they realized they had somehow completely lost my booking which was made well in advance and already paid for -- score -1 for the hotel staff (and considering how arrogant they were and how much better they seemed to think they were than anyone, including their paid guests, a noteworthy blemish on their basic intelligence and managerial skills).

The hotel is built in former army barracks but has been fairly well done, and Stockholm is not a cheap city, so I was fairly happy with what I got, even if I believe it was the smallest room in the hotel. All I really wanted/needed was a bed, closet, and bathroom, and it provided--however the water pressure in the sink was a total joke, and made shaving quite difficult (and it was necessary being as I was going to wedding events every day). Score -2. The shower had no door and tended to flood the bathroom, but I guess this is the norm in Sweden.

But the real and truly vacation destroying blemish on the hotel was the service, which from what I read here has not improved greatly in the last two years. Stockholm is certainly noted for its arrogance and haughtiness (especially by my friends from the rest of Sweden), but having been to various other hotels in the area I know decent staff is available. It went from beyond bad to truly insulting.

When I arrived at the hotel I had a glass of wine with my family, and then went to my room to change. When I returned, the waitress nearly assaulted me, suggesting that I had attempted to run out on my bill. As I was staying in the hotel for four nights this was a bit ridiculous, and she had made little attempt to bring me any bill as I drank and finished my wine, so…. In the US, any hotel--especially one of such supposed caliber--would know who you were and that you were a guest in the hotel, and if they didn't just put the bill on your room, would at least know you weren't trying to skip out on it (in general they would just bring you a bill at an appropriate time, which you could just pay or sign to your room). I merely informed her that I was used to hotels which had "service", and walked away. Score -7.

I tried to complain about the poor water pressure in my room, but got absolutely no where. I had some simple requests which a manager of a Motel 6 on the interstate would have had no problem in helping me with, but the hotel staff acted like it was a major inconvenience. In general they treated you like they were the Queen of England and you were a lowly streetsweep; astounding for a place that makes its living renting rooms to customers. Even hotels like the Tribeca Grand and Soho Grand in New York City (which cost far, far more and are in a sense nightclubs) at least treat their customers well. Score -8.

I bought a bottle of white wine and put it in my fridge, and it never got remotely cold. I tried to tell the staff but got little response, and at this point was not going to waste any more time on my vacation with them so just blew it off. Score -9.

The restaurant is nice enough location with a patio out front, but the cuisine leaves much to be desired. I found that the restaurant at the Lydmar up the street was far, far, far better and cost roughly the same and did my best to eat my unbooked meals there (and will return next time I'm in Stockholm, especially if the weather is nice). The service at the Lydmar was also what you would expect from a hotel, so I wonder why it is ranked below the Skeppsholmen here (it does, however, cost more, but these days not much). Score -10.

Upon checking out I actually got decent service, and started speaking to the guy wondering why he actually seemed to know what his job was. He informed me that he was the assistant manager, at which point I informed him of how amazingly horrible his staff were, and how they had done their best to destroy my stay there. I handed him the bottle of white wine in my hand and informed him it had been sitting in the fridge for two days. He inquired as to why I had not complained and I informed him that I had, but that the real problem was the sink had almost no water pressure, which made shaving nearly impossible. He told me they had been having problems getting good staff and were aware of the problems, but…reading here it doesn't seem things have changed much. Score -8, a bit of redemption for actually finding someone decent at the hotel…just as I was leaving.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for this review. I can agree that our hotel is not the most practical hotel in some aspects and since we are located in historical buildings dating back to 1699 and are listed by the government it has been a challenge to covert this amazing buildings to a hotel.
Regarding your text about the people of Stockholm are well known for their arrogance I cannot agree, we get very often amazing comments from our guests how amazed they are about the friendly and good speaking English Swedes and Stockholmers.
Regarding the your text about my team, I am sorry you felt this but this is not what my impression of my team and our service level. I have also talked to all the male staff at the Front Desk and they don’t have any memory of speaking to any guest saying that they are assistant manager and certainly not saying that we have problem getting staff. Once again I am sorry you felt you didn’t have a nice stay.

If you want to speak to me direct please don’t hesitate to mail me on joachim@hotelskeppsholmen.se
Best,
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed there for 5 days, when arrived, we couldn't find reception, there are no bell service, so we had to carry our bags, no drive up to hotel lobby. Breakfast was ok. Deco was modern and simplicity/minimalist concept but the shower door was one panel glass, we end up with very wet toilet. Staff was polite but not as helpful or friendly as one would expect. No volunteer of info, for a tourist who is new in te area, a bit of explanation on the area would be helpful. The view was spectacular.

No, I wouldn't stay there again, Grand Hotel just up the road would be a better choice.

Room Tip: Get the sea view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I am glad you loved the setting! Sorry you had problem to find the reception. The hotel consists of 2 long houses anno 1699 so it is not a typical hotel building with a huge entrance. Since we have a beautiful garden in front of the hotel there is 15 meters of walking leaving the car to the front desk. We don’t have any bell boy outside the hotel but we always ask at the front desk if we can help with the luggage, I am sorry if my team failed to ask you at check in and I will certainly speak to my team regarding your comments about them being polite but not helpful or friendly. We have a very high service ambition so I am sorry if you felt the opposite.
I hope you enjoyed our stunning capital!
Best,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for four nights in July. We stayed in a 'superior double with sea view' room. I wanted to write this review in the hope that the owners do something to fix the staff culture at the hotel, which for us ruined what was an otherwise unique and beautiful hotel experience. We asked the front desk for a handful of basic things while we were there (directions to a bus stop, directions to a pharmacy, some ice for champagne). Despite the fact there were several staff on the front desk each time we visited and basically no other guests, they couldn't manage to meet a single one of these requests. Eg the ice bucket took an hour and three phone calls to arrive ; the bus they directed us to didn't run on Sunday's etc etc. Basically they had so much attitude they found it impossible to be helpful. I actually cant recall another hotel with such bad service.I agree with the other reviews that the rooms are beautiful if not a little uncomfortable. But for us the beautiful setting, heritage building, lovely design etc meant that didn't really matter. I should also add the breakfast was the most beautifully presented/styled breakfast we have seen. The young blonde waitress at breakfast was also fabulous - telling us all about Swedish cuisine, restaurant recommendations, etc. It was such a shame that more of the staff were not like her - if they had been it would have been a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Request a queen size bed. Despite booking a superior room we had a double bed, which was materially...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
Very glad to read you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and location and I will certainly pass on your nice comment regarding our breakfast and the young waitress in our restaurant.
I am sorry for the inconvenience my team at the Front Desk caused you being late with the ice and giving you wrong information about the bus. What really concerns me is that you felt they had a bad attitude and not being helpful. Be assure I will take your comments seriously and I will go it through with everyone at the Front Desk. We have an amazing product on this lush green island in the city centre but it is the service to our guest which are the most important and once again I am sorry that you felt that you didn’t receive it.

Best and I hope you will give us another chance if you ever visit our capital again.

Joachim Olauson

Been to Hotel Skeppsholmen? Share your experiences!