“Speechless =arrogance, bird food, feel robbed-not recommended” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Swedish, Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Stavanger
“Speechless =arrogance, bird food, feel robbed-not recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have visited Mistral on saturday 20th of Oct. The contrast to the night before at Fredsgaten 12 where we had excellent food, wine, service. was huge. Mistral=missery and I am not exagirating. The restaurant is located in suburb of Stockholm, we got there after a long drive in the T-banen and about 10 minute walk from station. It was ok, the restaurant itself was causy, small but friendly atmosphere. We wanted to start with champaign, but to our surprise it was not chilled. We asked if we could have cold champaign but then the owner and chef came to our table to lecture us, this was a kind of champaign it had to be warmer to make this taste stronger. He said in their restaurant they served the wine and food as they like to be served. I thought interesting why do you then have a restaurant if you are not interested in your customers?? So I skipped the champaign and didnt have to pay for it. They have only tasting meny 3 (650SWKR) or 5 courses (850SWKR). The courses were, well if can call them courses, were so tiny such 4 half pieces of baby onion on a big plate, it would not fill in one plate. Most of it just vegies. The main course was meat and it had to be bloody so I informed them I dont eat raw meat I got an egg on my plate instead. They charged the same price as if it was meat. My husband who is chef and has his own restaurant had full wine and tasting meny. In the wine meny they forgot to serve any one with first course, for two courses it was the same wine, for another course it was just green tea and then red wine and dessert wine for 850SWKR...We felt cheated, robbed, mistreated and disrespected. We never experiences such an arrogance and living in fantasy world.The missery costed us around 2700SWKR. To save the night we went to a normal restaurant to get some discent food and wine.As one of the other visitors wrote it rightfully, this is the story of the emperor walking around naked....I hope one day they will get contact with reality and remember they are in the service business and they are there to please the customer not the other way around.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
Copenhagen
“Oooops”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Went to try this restaurant as it was recommended as the 7th best in Sweden by the whiteguide.se
Unfortunately it was not really there.
At 3000SEK for an evening for 2 the expectations are rather high.
The location is in the suburbs of stockholm in enskede-dalen in a quaint old pram factory - rather fun actually with only 4 tables open for seating. The interior is sparse and nordic with multicoloured paintings on the walls and the famous home-knitted doilies as tableware . Tasteful ? Maybe not - but at least different.
We had the middle-sized menu with 5 courses and the first serving came quickly to the table by the very friendly and helpful server.
It was mushroom season now so we would experience a lot of mushroom in tonights menu - something I looked really forward to.
However the first dish which contained som raw slices Portobello (Karl Johan) mushroom with each slice on a fried slice of onion with a dollop of lingon berry juice on a tiny mushroom puree drop was in fact the only sight of mushroom we saw the enitre evening.
The first course was nice but rather bland.
We had chosen the wine menu which I must say was a joy - in fact the highlight of the evening: A Vin Jaune from Jura to start with and accompagny the mushroom, followed by a lovely and flavourful Puligny Montrachet, a Fullbodied Lanquedoc Red, and finally a lovely Pinot Gris from Alcace with just the right amount of sweetness for the dessert.
The next dish was 4 tiny slices of fried zuccini with a lot of wood sorrel (for the acidity) and one leaf of raw zuccini flower. Again an very uninteresting dish which barely consisted of a mouthful.
I must say Im all for the New Nordic Cuisine, but this was a poor imitation. It seemed the chef really couldn't (or wouldn't) follow through on what this implies.
The next dish some 9-hour oven baked beetroot in burned butter and rose sauce. Nice actually but for some obscure reason accompagnied by a briefly oven baked tomato which was straight out of the shelves of the local supermarket it seemed.
The the 'main dish' : 4 tiny slices of undercooked duck which as placed on some seaweed puree and with a dollop of current juice, and some very simply fried cabbage leaves (4 of them) . Finally a dessert which was rhubarb icecream in rose-milk foam. Unfortunately the foam had separated and the result was some water with some lumps of rose flavoured white stuff on top of the not-very-sweet rhubarb icecream. Rhubarb is naturally acidic and therefore needs balance in whhat it is served with, and the rose-concoction did not do it.
To finish off some very nice 'Esmeraldacoffee' which was truely light and flavourfull with one tiny oatmeal like cookie with lingon in it.
All in all an experience which mostly reminded me of the fairytale of the emperors new clothes.
CLearly inspired by the wave of new nordic cuisine this evening the chef here unfortunately did not deliver on all that this entails. In stead it was a poor imitation of less than well prepared minute dishes (For reference Noma in Copenhagen serves the same size dishes , but their menu contains roughly 20 of those dishes for a full evening).

Service again was friendly and everyone helpful and cheerful, but when this restaurant closes at the end of the year to move to france I hope they will open their eyes and take note. They have a lot to learn....

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Royal Oak, Michigan
“A huge disappointment and grossly overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Saveur Magazine in their January 12 issue highly recommended Mistral in Stockholm. My husband and I and 4 friends were visiting Stockholm in August and made a reservation. I am not fond of huge portions nor overeating but this is the first time I have had an eight course meal and come away hungry. The food was pretentious to the point of foolishness. An example would be the "first course" which consisted of three (yes, three!) French green beans served with a grilled peach slice. It was down hill after that. The chef talks a great deal about natural, local etc... I had the feeling he used everything and anything growing in the back garden whether it made gastronomic sense or not. The bill was indeed jaw dropping and would not have been a problem if the meal had matched the cost. We all came away feeling "used" and shame on Saveur for their glowing recommendation.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Stratford, Canada
“Truly original and natural.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Without doubt, visiting Mistral was one of the most eccentric and eclectic dinner experiences to date. This place is more than a restaurant, it is a noteworthy gastronomic oasis. The décor is so cleverly done, minimal, squeaky clean and Scandinavian, a touch camp. Nothing is totally straight or obvious here. A delightful sense of playfulness runs through the place, in every detail.
Most definitely, there is no other restaurant in Stockholm like Mistral. It is actually quite difficult to describe my dinner experience. It was very much like experiencing the best cuisine at kaiseki restaurants of Japan, where seasonality is paramount, and the design of each course, and of each dish or vessel used, is well thought out to the ninth degree. Living in the moment is everything at Mistral. Every detail matters. I was served their multi-course ‘Winter Menu’ with wine pairings. (Best to let them do what they do best, and not have to think too much!) The way they used common winter veggies like onions, carrots, potatoes, beets, cabbage, Jerusalem artichokes and so forth, expertly and creatively transforming the ingredients to make each somehow more magical and gastronomical, was beyond belief. Deer was featured as the meatier dishes, again, keeping the menu to a strictly seasonal celebration. The cuisine said something so simple and honest to me, ‘this is now, this is winter, this is Sweden, so, enjoy and respect it to the fullest’! Wines paired with the tasting menu were very off-beat and unusual, chosen to totally push the envelope! (This restaurant is very unusual, so, I accepted the resulting wine pairing quirkiness with finesse.) In fact, over the course of dinner, I learnt that all their wines are sourced from biodynamic producers only, again, showing their brilliant commitment to showcasing purely natural cuisine and products. The service was quite novel, whereby the two charming chefs also served me in the dining room, quite effortlessly and graciously so.
As soon as I left the establishment, I could not help but notice how happy I felt to have visited this charming restaurant, I had a big smile on my face. That is when one knows something truly magical and meaningful has taken place, and that is exactly what happened to me whilst dining at Mistral!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great produce + love for food + excellent cooking skills = Mistral!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I went with a friend to Mistral after reading a couple of reviews that got me interested. I have been to a few fancy and molecular gastronomy restaurants before, but have never found anything as special as Mistral.

In Mistral it is all about the natural tastes and using great local and bio dynamic produce combined with excellent cooking skills to maximise the flavour.

The ambiance is amazing, just like the food it is simple, but very appealing. The restaurant is sparsely decorated and small and cozy seating a maximum of 16 guests. The small number of guests means that you will get a world class service. Not only will the cooking team (they both cook and serve) fill up your glass and ask if you want more bread at the appropriat times. They will gladly tell you everything about the food, how it was prepared and who grew the produce. It is obvious that the team at Mistral does this for the love of natural tastes and food and all they want is share in on the insight, the excitement and the love.

We had the even course menu and the wine menu. It was expensive but it was worth every single krona. I will be back once the season and the menu changes, this is by far the most amazing food experience I have ever had!

• Visited December 2011