“A very special meal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Frantzen

Frantzen
Lilla Nygatan 21, Stockholm 11128, Sweden (Formerly Frantzen/Lindeberg)
08-20 85 80
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London
“A very special meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We are lucky enough to have been at Noma twice so we wondered if Franzten would be able to compete. The answer is yes, absolutely. The place is sweet and stylish (and tiny, I think only 11 tables) and is charmingly located in Gamla Stan. The staff are nice, food amazing and interesting with excellent and unusual wine pairings. Their trademark 'salad' was truly amazing and everything every little dish was a little miracle.
A very special experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Matlock, United Kingdom
“The weirdest meal you'll ever have - and the most expensive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to Stockholm specifically to go to Frantzen because my wife was fascinated by its reviews. It's dropped the Lindberg from its name, apparently he's left the business. But it was still one of the most memorable meals of our lives.
As oddball as the Fat Duck in Bray, but without the weird ingredient combinations. If someone had told me beforehand that the star of my meal would be a salad I would have laughed - but in this case it was true.
There's not much point detailing our menu because it's all in a video on their website, and in any case will probably change soon.
The room is intimate with around 20 covers; the staff alternate between the open kitchen and acting as waiters who describe each dish in minute detail.
But oh the cost! Our matching 'flight' of wines cost around 160 GBP each, and the meal worked out at around 220 GBP each.
Was it brilliant? Yes. Would we go again. No, paying that amount for a meal is a once in a lifetime thing for us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rye
“A meal of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

There was this point as I got the opening bites when I wondered if it would be worth the hype, expectation and price. It was.
Every mouthful was a revelation, layers of surprises, such depth of flavours. I just wanted to work in the kitchen and learn how they did it. Sweetbreads, I'm a sucker for sweetbreads and these were the best ever. That savoury meringue, that turbot and asparagus. That beef.....(really deep sigh). I've still got those tastes.

I had the 'avant' wines and I thought they were good choices not overpriced.

I'm looking for negatives as I only believe mixed reviews: odd to be sent away when I turned up three minutes early but I blame swedishness for that.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orebro, Sweden
“Innovative food, but the taste is not excelent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The food was very innovative and the presentation excellent. However one would have expected also an excellent taste for all the many dishes, some where in fact excellent, but several were just Ok, mostly not much taste in them. One, the final ice cream, was not so good. I took a glass of wine that was OK, but nothing special, it costed however 250 kr. My impression was that the all bottle could not have costed us much to buy for them! All in all it was a nice experience, but we got food that tasted much nicer at the Matbaren for lunch few days later.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm
“Self confidence bordering on arrogance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We visited this restaurant the first time just over a year ago and were very impressed by the wonderful menu, the sheer spectacle of some of the food presentations, and the warmth of the staff. We also enjoyed the fact that Daniel Lindeberg went round the tables at the end of the meal to meet the customers and appeared genuinely interested in our views. The only minus was the short winelist with entry level wines priced at well over 1000 SEK. No doubt one was expected to take the wine menu. I can't help thinking this favours the restaurant much more than the customer. Nonetheless I would give the restaurant a score of 5 based on our first visit. Our second visit a few weeks ago was less memorable. Daniel Lindeberg had left the restaurant. The food was wonderful as before but there was less spectacle and it felt more like a production line than a personal experience.There is no longer a wine list. It is possible to order wine by the bottle but only by telling the sommelier what you are looking for or asking him to pick something. Then you have to ask what it costs (starting again around 1000 SEK) or be prepared for a surprise when the bill arrives. We asked why there was no wine list and were told that their wine selection changes daily and that it would be impossible to keep a wine list up to date. That sounds like plain laziness or a ploy to get you to take the wine menu. We did not see Björn Frantzen that evening. If he was in the house he didn't make a point of talking to the customers.All in all I think the restaurant management and staff have developed a self confidence which borders on arrogance. Have the accolades they have won gone to their heads?

• Visited May 2013