“Dirty, Rude Employees, Depressing” 1 of 5 stars

Calmar Stadshotell
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stortorget 14, Kalmar 392 32, Sweden   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Kalmar
Kristianstad, Sweden
“Dirty, Rude Employees, Depressing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

Hotel looks good from the outside, that's it. Overpriced at 160 euros per night, rude receptionists, rude cleaning people, bad breakfast/restaurant, dirty rooms and common areas, what more could you want? Seriously there was black mold in the showers, dirty floors, holes and scratches in the furniture and walls. Dirty floors in the lobby. Construction everywhere with no apologies.

On check out day a cleaning person walked into my room without knocking 30 minutes before check out time regardless that I had the Do Not Disturb sign up and just stared at me then rudely asked "When are you checking out?!" Never have I experienced this at a hotel. Avoid!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

The Hotel is undergoing major renovations, to the extent that going in and out means walking thru painting sheets and avoiding drips etc.

When I checked in (late Sunday evening) I was allocated a standard, single room, even though I had booked and pre-paid for a Superior double. So I had to get the very slow lift down to reception from the 3rd floor and ask for the room I had booked. Oh - OK said the chap at reception. So there was no hassle, but Really? Why could he not just have given me what I'd booked in the first place. The room I got was OK - the furniture was clean but very old - the room looked like it had last been refurbished in 1930. Very retro! 2 lightbulbs in the room did not work, and my room overlooked the inner courtyard and kitchens of the hotel, which were VERY noisy. And the noise started early in the morning and went on until late in the evening.
The breakfast buffet was excellent and on my day of departure, as I was leaving before breakfast opened, I was given a packed breakfast to take away, which was a nice touch. But overall I dont think I will return. It was just not good enough for the price.

Room Tip: Dont get one facing the inner courtyard. Too much noise from the Kitchens and the Bar.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

This hotel was a positive surprise. Obviously the photos on hotels.com were pre-renovation because the rooms we had booked were newly renovated and very comfortable with high standard finish. Also very silent plus a good bed. Clean but small room. Breakfast was buffet style with a lot to chose from. Location is perfect because it's in the middle of town. Price range is high like all over Sweden

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

The best with this place has to be the breakfast, it was very good.
Nice with a good breakfast when the selen was so and so, the room was soooo hot.
Also that the outlet in the wall that didnt work was annoying...

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in July while visiting Swedish relatives and exploring the nearby island of Oland. The hotel is in the centre of town and parking is not provided. The room was spacious but dated, although the bathrooms has been updated recently and were quite nice. The buffet breakfast was really good, lots of variety and fresh fruits, meats and cheeses.

The public areas were a bit tired and in need of updating. Air conditioning was welcome as it was very hot during our stay.

The location is quite good. You are right in the centre of town, and we were able to walk all over and explore and it was quite convenient. A pretty little town with some nice restaurants over near the castle.

Overall it was acceptable but I think I would stay somewhere else next time.

A note about accessibility for those who are interested. The website advertised that the hotel was accessible and when we arrived we looked for a ramp. There were about 3 steps up to the main entrance. When we asked at the front desk they brought out 2 metal ramps and laid them over the steps. This was ridiculous as the narrowness of the metal ramps and the steepness of the steps made them useless. Fortunately my husband is able to use crutches for short distances otherwise we would not have been able to enter. Once inside, there were elevators and the bathroom was workable, although there was no seat in the shower.

Room Tip: If you overlook the courtyard as we did you will have no window that opens at all and no view, excep...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We booked a family room for 3 nights fpr 4068 SEK, around £150 a night so in no way a cheap option. The room made ready for us had only 2 twin beds and a cot - even though our kids are 8 and 10. They changed it, but the room was the same size, so very crowded and hard to move around with 3 days worth of clothes with us for 4 people. The room was also hot with a very small inward opening window. The guest rooms seem to be in a different building from the hotel so have no character or features more like a badly coverted garage. None of us slept as the room had no air con, one night when it rained and was cooler outside we had to close the window as the rain was coming in. Carpets were dirt, old wallpaper, bedside strip lights like you might have seen in a café in 1970. No overhead light at all, just a strip light next to the window which attracted all the insects.
Breakfast was ok though room too small for no of guests.
Worse of all was the bathroom, dirty, dated and with a tin bath that moved around and due to pipe work was at least 5 inches from the wall hence shower water splashed everywhere and washed out the dirt from under the bath. Gross.
Seen other good reviews on here? I see most of them are anonymous - very strange that!
AVOID AVOID AVOID
Come here for a drink overlooking the squer but until they completely refurbish this place, you will come away feeling cheated and dirty.

Room Tip: We stayed in 5 hotels over 8 nights in Sweden and Denmark - all similar prices, some were outstandin...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for three nights for a family wedding. I travel frequently, and can honestly say that this is the worst hotel I have stayed in. We arrived at 2.15pm as our rooms were not ready and needed to be cleaned. The bed linen was clean - but that's all. Big balls of dust under the bed. Our room was not cleaned for the rest of our stay. The bathroom was so small that there was no room for a shower curtain or proper screen, just one that folded in front of the shower. So every time we used the shower the floor flooded. The bathmat was completely soaked - and as it wasn't changed so remained so for four days. We had a south facing room which was very hot. The desk fan we were given had no guard and we were in danger of having our fingers removed if we went near it. Reception staff were off-hand. Breakfast was ok (hence the one star). This is not what I expected from Sweden.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Calmar Stadshotell? Share your experiences!