“Two building affair” 3 of 5 stars
Review of First Hotel Strand

Save Saved
You added First Hotel Strand to your Saves list
First Hotel Strand
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Strandgatan 10 | SE-851 06 Sundsvall, Sundsvall 85106, Sweden   |
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Sundsvall
Nijkerk, The Netherlands
“Two building affair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The Strand is situated near the town center in two buildings that are typical for the building style of the city. The hotel has it's own parking, situated in the basement. This is a cramped and also a bit sinister space. There is also a fairly big public parking lot in front of the building, which offers free parking in the evening and in weekends, at which times you do have to pay for the hotel parking. So if you don't have to park on weekdays during daytime, just use the public parkingspace.

The rooms are okay for the price, fairly clean and roomy, beds are okay and TV and (free) WiFi internet work fine. The bathroom however has seen better times. It looked a bit grimey (it was cleaned but you know how a bathroom can deteriorate over time), the showerhead fixing was broken.

Our room was situated in the second building, which also houses the hotel's conference center. This second building can only be reached via a tunnel from the first building. Apperently there is something wrong with the waterworks/plumbing down there, because most of the time it smelled - to put it mildly - "not too fresh".

Sundsvall is a nice city with some nice restaurants and cafés. It's not too big though and there is not a lot to do in the evenings. Recommended for a stay when you're traveling through Sweden (as we were) but nog really for a citytrip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Uppsala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

No free parking or no parking is better to say. pool was beeing repaired when i asked how long time the repair will take place they could not say but it had been for last 12 months?????. Rooms was not as in the pictures but small dark rooms with bad cleaning. Breakfast was ok but i think thats the only positive to say about the place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Grenoble, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Very good breakfast: fruits, meat, pan cakes... very varied and can be healthy (it depends on what you choose, of course).
Good service, nice employees.
No really good cleaning of the room... not dirty, but not enough to me.
Quality/price; interesting !
Swimming pool was closed... sauna great ! But it was smelling bad in the corridor to go to the sauna.

Room Tip: I got a room on Rådhusgatan: very calm at the 5th
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Gothenburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I spent one night here last week due to work. I've stayed here before, and had a positive memory of this hotel and particularly the breakfast. And I must say that the front desk-staff is very helpful.
We checked in and received our room in the part of the hotel we had requested. The hotel has rooms in two different buildings, connected through a basement. The "other" building is usually more quiet, since the bar/restaurant is in the same as the front desk. We schlepped our stuff to our room, only to discover that it had not been cleaned. A call to the front desk and they asked us to go all the way back down. One of us did, and requested a new room in that building. Got a key to the new room, only to discover that it was half the size as our original room and right next to the very loudly talking elevator.... A new trek down to the front desk ended with a room similar to the first one a couple of floors up.
The room was a nice sized double, with a full size sofa in the seating area.
But the shower/bathroom was not properly cleaned and the showerhead kept dripping whatever you did...
The room was very dusty in the corners and there was "stuff" in the shag carpet in the seating area. A small lift of the dustruffle on the bed, revealed that the vacuum had only been used 15 centimetres in...
The next morning we were woken by two very talkative and noisy maids out in the hallway. The kept talking very loudly for about an hour, banging all the doors and walls with whatever equipment they were using... I worked as a hotel maid in my youth, and "Hotel Maid 101" should be to keep down the noise and keep paying guests sleep or at least have some peace early mornings. This was a Saturday... "102" should be that dust is VERY visible on dark hardwood floors...
Breakfast was a catastrophy!!! They were out of everything! I asked for coffee mugs, and was told that there might be mugs and coffee in the lobby... Seriously?! Might?! I asked for spoons to eat my yougurt with and the girl took the empty container, disappeared and didn't show up for at least the 5 minutes I stood there waiting! I cleared a table myself to get somewhere to actually sit, and then asked one of the girls if she had a cloth to wipe it off. She looked at me like I was stupid and said "Wipe what?" Breakfast 101 - keep the buffet filled, the coffee coming and the tables as far from filthy as possible!!!
Now, we came down to breakfast an hour before it ended, and I'm Swedish, so there was no language barrier to make things difficult for the staff.
I travel a lot - in Sweden and abroad - both for business and pleasure.
This was the filthiest room I've ever encountered and the worst breakfast and breakfast staff - EVER!
This stay was not booked by me, but by a business contact. Next time I will book myself and I will stay at Hotel Knaust!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Hotel has small but nicely decorated single rooms with 32" flat screen TV's. hotel is on good location with walking distance to centre, restaurants and casino. Wifi available.
+Good location
+Rooms are ok. Big TV with free TV1000 movie channels.
+Good restaurant and excellent breakfast.
+staff is nice nad friendly.
-No minibar on the hotel room (std single room)
-Sauna is decent but the swimming spool feels like it hasn't been cleaned for long time
-Parking carage is not free for hotel quests
-Gym is not free for hotel guests.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

My three days in Sundsvall was amazing as I was visiting the town to see the Roxette concert at the Norrporten Arena on the 7th. My stay in this hotel was most certainly average! I didn’t rate the cabin bed... It was not the most comfortable thing to sleep in, for instance you couldn’t really sit on the edge of the bed because of the wooden frame and because there was only a standard chair in the room, you were kind of left with no where decent to sit!

The lighting in the room along with the dark wooden furniture made trying to read in the room later in the evening almost impossible! The towels in the bathroom were so tiny I had to request additional ones. The hairdryer in the bathroom was broke (so girls if you have long hair please take your own hairdryer!). The plus point was that it had a modern large flat screen TV, but I didn’t have time to switch it on, I was so busy in Sundsvall I didn’t spend much time in the room or hotel which was a blessing really.

Out of my three days there I only took breakfast on two days, Sunday morning it was nigh on impossible to get a seat at breakfast, so I ended up standing up at the bar eating, the breakfast seating area is far too small for the size of the hotel! Although full marks to the choice of breakfast, it’s good and the hot food is served hot. Breakfast on the day I left was much better because I was there at 6.30am so at least had a seat! I decided to try out the swimming pool on the Sunday evening, expecting it to be heated; it was freezing cold, a real disappointment! Although the gym looked to be at least half decent, the sauna was pretty rubbish as well!

The location of the hotel is okay, a little walk from the centre of town (the main bus station) and there are some shops close by. However in my own option there are better hotels closer by. My friend was staying in the local hostel and by the sounds of it, her accommodation was better!

There was a lot of noise from outside the hotel at night when the window was left open, but once closed it was pretty quiet so I did get a decent nights sleep.

There was a shared computer in the lobby, but the computer seemed to have a mind of its own or was set up so you had to use an on screen keypad which was extremely frustrating!

All in all for the price I paid I was disappointed with my stay here, compared to previous First Hotels I have stayed in. I won’t stay here again. I loved Sundsvall and hope to visit again, but would avoid this hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

Some rooms seem to suffer noise, but I have had a good stay. Room is plenty spacious and mine quiet. Free Wifi internet work fine. Garage parking is underground obsticle course - take care. Staff freindly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to First Hotel Strand? Share your experiences!