“Interesting city and hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Scandic Umea South
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Yrkesvagen 8, Umea 904 20, Sweden   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Umea
Englishtown, New Jersey
“Interesting city and hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

This is an interesting city and hotel in an otherwise undistinguished part of Sweden which although beautiful if brutally cold during the winter. I was here for a short business trip over a few days. There are no direct flights from the US so you have to connect through Stockholm which was painful. By the time we arrived it was morning and the sun was up but it was brutally cold. There are taxi's from the airport into the city and it's a short ride but be prepared to have some cash on hand as some American credit cards do not work with local systems (this is not unusual in some places throughout Europe). Some of the taxi drivers spoke English and it was a short ride from the airport into the city. The Swedes in general while not warm, chatty and readily welcoming visitors are polite and efficient. The hotel is located in the heart of the city and is very convenient to access many shops, restaurants, pubs and attractions in the surrounding area. Our rooms were standard size and decorated by Ikea (literally) ... very sparse and just enough to ensure comfort. The bathroom and shower are actually one unit with a swing door that separates the room when you shower. There is no bathtub which actually gave you more space and made it logically arranged so you can do all your morning grooming in the bathroom. There are also no thermostats anywhere in the room as the hotel utilizes green energy and methods to regulate temperatures. This may make it inconvenient for some people who prefer a very hot room as you will not be able to achieve any temperature higher than approximately 69 - 71 degrees Fahrenheit. The views from the room were very nice on the high floors overlooking the entire city. The restaurant within the hotel was convenient, but food quality, selection and preparation was mediocre and service was definitely not with a smile ... our best meal was breakfast which had an extensive buffet selection. The surrounding restaurants turned out to be much better during our stay, and one place in particular The Bishops Arms became our favorite during the stay. If you happen to be in Umea this hotel is a good choice and I would use it again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Lukas S, Front Office Manager at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, November 24, 2014
Hello jbreach,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.
From your description of the hotel I think that you stayed at our other property in Umeå, Scandic Plaza. Scandic Plaza is located in the city center while Scandic South is a 15-minute walk away.
I'm sorry that our restaurant didn't live up to your expectations, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the rest or your stay with us. As you say, the view and our location is some of our biggest selling points. I do hope we get to welcome you back to Scandic Plaza if you decide to visit Umeå again.

Best Regards
Lukas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Finnish first
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

The hotel is located a distance from the city centre so you need to have a car. The hotel is quite old but redecorated and was very modern. The reseption area is stylish and leeds directly into the restaurant. The breakfast is the standard Scandic breakfast. Not as good as it used to be but good enough. They offered a buffet dinner. The fish and the meat was ok but the pasta was dry and tasted nothing.
The hotel has a pool and a gym
The rooms are good but not very big. The reseptionists were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback - I'm glad you took the time to give us som opinions to work with.
I'm also glad you liked our hotel and the service we offered.
I do hope to see you back at Scandic Umeå Syd soon again.

Kind regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Nice clean but dated hotel. Friendly staff. Must say $20 (Australian)for 1 glass of chardonnay is outrageous. Should have asked for price first before it was poured. Breakfast was ample. Location ok in fine weather nice walk.

• Stayed August 2014
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for writing about your experience at Scandic Syd.
We always try to deliver the best for all our guests and I'm glad you found our service living up to your expectations - that is really what we are here for.

You did come a long way but if you are ever in Sweden and Umeå again you are more than welcome to visit us again.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

we stayed 1 night before taking ferry to Finland. arrived in late evening, receptionist was very nice, room as well but without minibar and air conditioning, means terrible warm and opening a window was not really an option since there is no mosquito net on them. minimal food menu for "starved" children, which both are lactose intolerant, ordered a Cesar salad and to my surprise you have to pay extra for getting the chicken!!?? outside looks out of date but inside was much nicer.

Room Tip: as far as possible from the reception and towards the inner yard.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi,
Tank you for your feedback.
I'm glad you liked the hotel and I'm also sorry for the warmth at the hotel.
We are working on making the ventilation a bit better.
The menu is a Scandic menu and quite often people order just a regular salad with nothing more - so this is why we have add on's so that there is something for everyone.
I'm surpriset about the menu not being adapted for lactose intolerant and I do hope that we gave you several alternatives to choose from when you asked us.

Göteborg, Sverige
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The location is in an industrial area outside city centre. The area is ugly and the outside of the hotel looks bad. It doesn't feels unsafe or so, but very "off". The inside of the hotel was good and I have nothing to complain on. If you have stayed on a Scandic hotel before: I would say that this is a bit more than average "Scandic-standard". Very good breakfast with a wide range of food, as always on Scandic.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback concerning your last stay.
I couldn't agree more - the outside is not (by far) as pretty as the inside - I'm glad you liked our newly refurbished hotel and that the brekfast was a positive experience.
I hope that we can welcome you back someday!

saskatoon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is not half the Scandic downtown in Umea. The breakfast is very good and some good people working here. The receptionist, Kristin, on the other hand was beyond stressed. In one day we had to have our keys recoded three times and she seemed ready to blow het top! She also mocked us for trying to communicate in her language - this I don't think you could see in any other country. Talk about mean spirited. Rooms very tired although some renovation was ongoing. Would absolutely never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi,
First of all, I'm terribly sorry that we made you feel the way that you are describing. Hopfully this is a misunderstanding in communication between us - I sure hope that no one in my team would mock a guest staying with us.
I'm glad you found the staff and breakfast satisfying and I do hope to see you soon again in Umeå, and if not on Scandc Umeå Syd perhaps on Plaza.

Kind Regards,
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was recently in Umeå for the house of metal festival and to catch up with some old friends.

I booked the trip kinda late so most hotels were fully booked.

This hotel was a reasonable price for what I got, a clean, kinda small single room.

I didn't eat breakfast so I can't comment on that.

The night staff were fine.

The only thing I didn't like was due to the festival, I had to sign a contract saying I wasn't going to destroy the room or cause havoc with other guests bla bla bla. I found this to a bit a judgemental and prejudice of the metal community.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for the feedback on Scandic Umeå Syd.
I'm glad you like our hotel.
However I'm sorry if we made you feel less welcome with the information letter, this is not our intention. We hand this welcome letter out to everyone at weekends with festivals or other happenings in town to prevent things from happening and also to inform all our gests of what we are doing to prevent anything from happening at the hotel.
We want all our guests to feel safe when staying with us and this is why we hand out the rules for the hotel.
I hope that you want to come back to Umeå and to Scandic in the future.

Been to Scandic Umea South? Share your experiences!