“Probably one of the best B&B's in the UK!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   College Road, Denstone ST14 5HR, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Denstone B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Probably one of the best B&B's in the UK!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the first review I have ever bothered to give for a hotel/B&B I have stayed at…….

Myself and my partner visited Heywood Hall last Sunday, 5th May, as we were having a 2 day trip to Alton Towers. I had checked out quite a few B&B’s in the area from various web searches and many were fully booked (bank holiday weekend was always going to be busy). I stumbled across Heywood Hall and telephoned them to check availability. The gentleman I spoke to was very nice and to my delight had a room available – so I booked it! Whoop!

I’ve stayed in many hotels and B&B’s over the years, and all of which have been pretty poor, so I really wasn’t getting my hopes up for a £70 a night B&B…...

After a fab first day at the Towers, we went off to find our B&B – which is ideally located in a little village called Denstone about 2 miles from the park (you actually pass it on your way)! Perfect! The grounds are lovely with plenty of parking and we were greeted by Joseph who kindly showed us to our room called ‘Victoria’.

What more can I say….The room or should I say suite was absolutely stunning! It is basically your own little self contained flat with separate bedroom (with four poster bed), shower room, and lounge/kitchen. The decoration throughout was modern and lovely! The fridge is fully stocked with bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, bread, milk, orange, fruit, various jams/spreads – the cupboards with tins of beans and mushrooms etc, plus plenty of tea/coffee sugar. We had soooo much food! : ) . Making breakfast for ourselves was great and the local produce tasted amazing!

Our room overlooked the court yard where there is a Jacuzzi and sauna – unfortunately we didn’t bring our swim wear to take a dip. Next time we will : )

Other facilities in the suite include:

Good sized TV's in both lounge and bedroom (with inbuilt DVD player)
Selection of DVD’s
4 seater kitchen table
Large sofa
Oven
Toaster
Dishwasher
Plenty of towels
Hair dryer – loads of mirrors in the suite to use (for the girls)
Iron & board
Fireplace in lounge
Plenty of kitchen utensils i.e. pans, plates, cups, washing up liquid, tea towel and sponge.

I would definitely recommend anyone to visit Heywood Hall! This place is beautiful and Joseph and Alison are delightful – they sure know how to run a great B&B!!! We will certainly be back for our next visit and have also told friends and family to do the same!

Don’t waste your time looking at any other B&B's in the area – you will absolutely love this place! Guranteed!

Room Tip: Victoria Suite is ideal for couples!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

What a lovely place to stay! We had a small suite (Called Victoria) for around £70 per night (not the family suite) and it was lovely! The place was like a small apartment and had everything you would need to move in and live there for a while! The bedroom was really lovely, with a four-poster bed and an en suite shower. The toilet and basin are along your hallway (within your suite I mean, not shared), which leads to the living room / kitchenette. This has a table and four chairs, plus a decent TV with freeview channels and a sofa. There is a jacuzzi and sauna housed outside in huts, which I did not use, but seemed really nice. For breakfast, the owners fill your fridge with all you need to cook your own. This included: Eggs / Bacon / Sausages / Milk / Bread / Cereal / Tea etc etc and all were fresh country produce from local suppliers. The nicest egg I've eaten for years actually! My only small, strictly constructive criticism would be,

More utensils needed such as tongs for cooking breakfast
Oven gloves really needed
Really missed having a spatula too!

And, wifi would have been the icing on the cake. But, as I say, that's being a little fussy :-) as I could not otherwise fault Heywood Hall and would absolutely definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Alton Towers or the surrounding area. Some of my local tips would be,

Uttoxeter is a 10min drive and has many useful things such as large Tesco, Boots and Argos if you need something.
For food, again in Uttoxeter, there is Frankie and Bennys, KFC, McDonalds, Little Chef etc etc if you're desperate. If you want something nicer, go for one of the local pubs in Alton or maybe Oakamoor direction. Loads of places with pretty views and nice pub lunches etc, especially on Sunday.

The reviews for Heywood Hall speak for themselves and they also have a certificate from trip advisor for excellence for the year 2010 displayed in their reception area. I have no doubt they fully deserve this and I hope my review helps others to save time looking for anywhere else - Book it now! :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

A very nice B&B, well set out, comfortable rooms in a good location. We had been to Alton Towers for the day, we arrived after a very tiring day to a warm and friendly welcome. The Jacuzzi and sauna were ready to use and we made full use of them. What a fabulous way to end a day out. We will definitely be going back for a 3rd visit, the new owners this year are excellent.

• Stayed April 2013
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is the first time we have stayed at Heywood Hall. The new owners, Joseph and Alison were very welcoming and accommodating throughout our stay. They have reduced the cost of the accommodation considerably since I had booked it with the previous owners and they reduced the price to match theirs accordingly. The reason for the price drop is they supply a hearty breakfast, but not a 'full shop' as was previously supplied. The new owners are updating the accommodation. The new heating system is brilliant, hot radiators and piping hot water. The electrics are being done too. The televisions have all been updated with flat screens and what a lovely picture we received on all of the 4 televisions supplied! The 'Sally' Suite was spacious, immaculately clean and the breakfast was still more than enough so you could still have a snack later on in the day. We had bread, bacon, excellent quality sausages, free range eggs, yogurts, tomatoes, selection of jams, butters, etc., fruit, juice, milk, canned beans, mushrooms, tomotoes, gratefruit, etc., assorted cereals, biscuits and pastries as well as coffee, hot chocolate, tea, etc. This supply was stocked up on a daily basis and the room cleaned on a daily basis. The hot tub and sauna were an added bonus, opening from 5 pm daily. The hot tub can hold about 8 people and the sauna will hold about the same. We had our own key to the apartment and could come and go as we pleased (although you need to vacate between about 10 am and 12 noon for the rooms to be cleaned). This was the best accommodation in England that we have stayed in and we will definitely be going back, especially as Alton Towers is only about 8 minutes away! 5 Stars for everything!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

What a great place. And fun. The suites are a great size and the whole set up works really well. As a base for visting Alton Towers this place is perfect, and is also a great location for visits to the Peak District. I am sure the new owners A&J will do great things with Heywood Hall !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here over the Fireworks weekend as we had tickets for Alton Towers. We were looking for somewhere close to the park to stay and I am so glad we picked Heywood Hall. As soon as we pulled up the house looked well kept and very pretty. When we went in we were greeted by Louise and her husband, John, who are absolutely wonderful. They are so friendly, welcoming and helpful - pointing out the best places to eat locally, directions on how to get there and so on. Now, my boyfriend and I had both forgotten our swimwear and were gutted we wouldn't be able to use the hot tub - Louise then offered us some swimwear we could borrow for the duration of our stay - a gesture above and beyond the call of duty. She then showed us to our suite - explained how everything worked and then left us to it. The bedroom was decorated beautifully, and the kitchen was stocked up with food and drinks.
We went out for dinner to the Dapple Grey - it's so cheap and the food is really good!
The following morning we cooked our breakfast - there was everything you needed to make a lovely cooked breakfast. We then went off the Alton Towers for the day.
When we arrived back from a long, cold (but fun!) day the room had been tidied, the fridge re stocked - my boyfriend's t-shirt was even hung up in the wardrobe. The attention to detail was immense.
I don't have a bad word to say about this place - without a shadow of a doubt we will come back and stay here again and again.
Thank you very much for such a lovely stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sarah Jane which was lovely!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Heywood hall, we stayed for a night but now wishing we stayed longer. It was my daughter's birthday and the owners made us feel so welcome and even got my daughter a box of chocolates and put a birthday banner on the door for her. The room was amazing and the layout with lovely. And we found out there was a hot tub and a sauna which we all loved!!! :D

Room Tip: Jenifer room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Heywood Hall? Share your experiences!