“A very special place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manor House Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denstone
Manor House Farm
You added Manor House Farm to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Quixhill Lane | Prestwood, Denstone ST14 5DD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Denstone B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“A very special place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a real find and we hope we'll be able to go back for a longer stay some time. The countryside around is really gorgeous - deepest England at its most English! The house is amazing - dating from 1708, but going back even further, it has real character and is stuffed full of really interesting antiques lovingly collected by Chris. The gardens are splendid and we would have loved to have a whole day just to sit around and enjoy the comfort and beauty of it. The whole place is testimony to the work Margaret and Chris put into it. The latter couple are the type that are so hard to find, but so treasured when you do: they're down to earth and very genuine, and genuinely interested in making your stay as enjoyable as possible. Margaret is a really warm and caring lady and Chris is a mine of information about rare breed farming, antiques and a lot of other stuff too! Both of them are genuinely interested in their guests as people. I left the case for my mobile phone behind and they went out of their way to find it and post it to me, so I received it only two days after we got home. This B&B is in Alisdair Sawday's "Interesting Places" website and it merits the title much more than many others we've visited. There are some lovely pubs in the area and we did a really great 10 mile walk along the Churnet Valley disused railway line.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
manorhousefarm, Owner at Manor House Farm, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for this extremely generous review and so sorry it has taken me so long to reply.To say we are extremely busy is no excuse.! We are delighted that you found the area such a delight and we look forward to meeting you both next time your are in the area.I have lived here all my ljfe but still find the area a great delight.
Thank you also for all your very kind words regarding the house and garden.They are a passion that keeps both Margaret and Myself busy throughout the yearr, Athough looking outside now we do need to spend more time in the garden,
Thanks again Chris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stumbled across this wonderful B&B partly thanks to the great Trip Advisor reviews when I was looking for somewhere close to Alton Towers. The house is beautiful - a really quaint farmhouse carefully furnished so that it feels like you're stepping back in time when you enter, but cosy and homey so you never feel that you're in a museum. The bedroom we stayed in was large, with a cosy, comfortable four poster bed, ensuite bath and shower and comfy chairs and a sofa to relax in. The room came well equipped with lots of thoughtful touches - lovely toiletries, fresh milk and bottled water in the fridge and lots of teas/coffee/sweeties replenished daily.

The hosts, Margaret and Chris, were incredibly friendly and helpful - not only do they put on a gorgeous spread for breakfast (we just couldn't resist the full English!), but they're on hand with helpful advice and amusing anecdotes. Breakfast is held around a large communal breakfast table so you really feel as though you're family friends more than paying guests.

The gardens are lovely and if the weather's good then we highly recommend hiring bikes from onsite - Ben was fantastically helpful - and getting out to explore the local countryside that way. Ben gave us a suggested route, which was easy to follow and we spent a very happy couple of hours whizzing around. Although we weren't in the area that long, we would highly recommend the Tavern in local Denstone (booking advised!) where we had a gorgeous meal one night.

Clearly, one of the key attractions of Manor Farm is its proximity to Alton Towers and it is a very easy 15-20min drive away, but there are lots of other things to do in the local area and we hope to go back to explore further.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
manorhousefarm, Owner at Manor House Farm, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your very thorough and detailed review and for all the extremely kind words that you have written in this review..We are also extremely pleased that you decided to take up the option of the Bike Hire.
Ben who is my daughter`s partner runs the Cycle Hire and has purchased a fine selection of new bikes this year ,and i am pleased to say it has been a great success.The Churnet Valley is a very pretty and interesting place to cycle and has many lovely places to explore
It was also pleasing to find that you enjoyed having your breakfast on the one large table.We find that people love to be able to chat away together,and there is nothing better for us than to hear the roars of laughter coming from the dining room during breakfast.
Thank you again and very best wishes .
Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Don't normally stay in this area of England but needed somewhere to rest before longer journey the following day; after visiting, intend to go back for a short break sometime soon. Amazing house and gardens, friendly and attentive hosts, excellent breakfast, choice of gastro pubs close by.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are very pleased that you decided to break your journey with us.and equally pleased that you had an enjoyable time at our B/B.Although we are about 30 mins from both the M6 and M1 we are very pleased with the number of travelers staying with us..
Thank you very much for you very kind words and we look forward to meeting you again when next in our area..
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This place offers everything, comfort in a fascinating building and environment, very friendly hosts and superb breakfasts using all local ingredients.
For those who want to regurgitate their breakfast Alton Towers is very nearby, but there is plenty of places to visit nearby, for those who prefer a more gentle holiday.

Room Tip: The Family room is the largest and is very good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your excellent review.I am getting fairly long in the tooth but it is very obvious that Trip Advisor reviews are playing a large part in peoples choice of places to stay and so we are very proud of all the lovely reviews we have received.Thank you very much indeed and we look forward to meeting you all again,when you are next in our area.
Best wishes Chris and Margaret
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay for our anniversary prior to going to play at Alton Towers. What a fantastic find! The house and gardens are beautiful. The place is isolated, so very quiet. Chris recommended two good pubs within a short drive for dinner (Booking advised). The interior is a bit dark, but totally fits with the age and decor of the house. Probably more noticeable in the summer when the weather is nice as it was when we went.

The bed was very comfortable and the whole place was very clean. Mobile signal was weak, as expected in the middle of the countryside, but the WiFi worked well for planning our day at Alton Towers.

The breakfast was very good and served whenever we wanted. Which is nice, because some B&Bs insist on certain time slots. One big table also makes it nice for visiting with other guests. We did not take advantage of the sitting room as it was so nice outside, but imagine it is very warm and cosy if the weather is not so nice.

The garden is worth mentioning as it is large and set into the side of a hill. There are many levels and it is divided up, so there are lots of places to sit and enjoy the view without having to know there is anyone else about. There is even a grass tennis court at the top! I imagine smaller kids would love playing hide and seek in it. I know ours would if they were with us.

We found this place on the Enjoy Staffordshire website after balking at the price of the Alton Towers Hotel. As Chris will tell you, they are only four left hand turns and about five minutes away from the AT entrance. Although the surrounding area is so beautiful, and the stay so enjoyable, that it is worth visiting even if not going to AT. I'm sure we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your anniversary at Manor House Farm and thank you for taking the time to write your review. I know i keep saying this but when we get reviews of this quality it makes everything extremely worthwhile.We are so privileged to have so many truly great guests staying with us.As i am writing this response the weather is just starting to change and so that the season of sitting room fires is about to begin which although more work does lift the sitting room to a different level so we look forward to hopefully seeing you back and relaxing beside a roaring fire
Thanks again Chris and Margaret.
Northampton Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'll start by saying that Manor House Farm was not my first choice for our overnight stay between two days at Alton Towers (the AT hotel being a little extortionate for basic accommodation). However, after a little searching, and Tripadvisor reviewing I am so very glad we found the Manor House Farm. I'll also say, being an avid user of tripadvisor to help me select accomomdation, holidays etc, I do like to give my own reviews back to help others - and this is hopefully detailed enough to help everyone.
The Farm itself is about 10 mins away - a really easy series of right turns out of the Alton Towers Exit - easily accessible. We needed a room for 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers) and Chris & Margaret were very helpful when we contacted, advising us that we could either have two twin/doubles, or their family room, which has a 4 poster, and 2 single - easily big enough for an overnight stay for us and the kids (who after a day at the Towers didnt move much from the beds !).
The Farm/Farmhouse - tranqil, lovely gardens, grass tennis court, croquet lawn - wife and I had a cup of tea and a biscuit in the Arbour in the garden within 5 minutes of getting their as it was so inviting. As soon as Chris showed us in we felt at home, he explained everything perfectly - and that familiar small of an open fireplace in the seating area/lounge just made me feel at home.When chatting with Chris after breakfast it seems like some of the records would suggest the farmhouse dates back to 17th century, but some 18th/19th - but essentially a couple of hundred years old - and its magnificent that Chris has used his antique dealing knowledge to acquire a whole host of furniture that absolutely looks like it was part of the orginal house itself - whilst having breakfast I could Imagine being Henry VIII (bit too far back I think but thats what it reminded me of)
The Room - 4 Poster, 2 singles...... right here goes, this is what I can remember..... Tea/Coffee facilities, wine glasses, biscuits, fridge with fresh milk (Is it sad that I thought full fat milk is a luxury, as I usually drink semi or skimmed ?), bottles of water, cartons of juice, sweets, luxury towels, bath robes, bathroom bottles of shampoo, shower gel etc, but also hand wash, Radox bath foam, cotton wool, earbuds, everything you would ever want I think.
The room itself though was beautifully quirky, sloping floor with the odd creaky floorboard, fireplace, separate bathroom/ensuite with bath and shower attachment. It had everything my wife would'v chosen, and in fact she was so pleased with what I'd found, I did get a kiss, so that shows how pleased she was !!!
The Breakfast - First the room, like I said - I was Henry VIII..... ;-) , panelled room, huge table and wooden sideboard, dressers, expensive crockery, proper napkins (with napkin rings) - a really great room to have breakfast in. Fantastic bacon & meaty sausages, farm fresh eggs (you can tell by the taste and colour), toms, mushrooms and fried bread - the kids even commented on how nice it was (particularly compared to a Premier Inn breakfast which we had the day before in Blackpool). However, easy to comment on your traditional cooked breakfast, but when you also have a selection of cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurts, orange/grapefruit juice, freshly toasted proper bread (not pre sliced stuff), proper butter (again, we are generally Flora people, so butter on our toast is a treat) its easy to feel spoilt. Obviously tea/coffee, fresh milk, local honey, marmalade etc - in fact everything you would ever want/need was there, and if it wasnt Chris or Margaret would find it for you.
The Hosts - Chris and Margaret...... before we even arrived, from when I made the enquiries, both were extremely helpful, gave advice on pubs to eat at (which I would suggest everyone listens to, we didnt and did not choose wisely (Blacksmiths Arms in Alton, very average - not recommended and in hindsight, if it was any good, then Chris or Margaret would probably have suggested it). Anyway, on arival Chris was very friendly, and showed us around, said we should ask for anything if we needed it, said we can feel free to use the garden/facilities etc - available when required. We asked for breakfast at 7.30 which was absolutely no trouble. We were chatting with Chris about thr history of the Farmhouse at breakfast and its very intresting.

I've rambled on, and I know (as does Chris) that the quirkyness and character of the Manor House Farm will probably not be to everyones liking, if you want something very black and white, basic, crisp and square around the edges - the place is probably not for you. Just take a look at the reviews though, and if you could see it, read all the reviews in the guest book, I did, Many British folks from far flung corners of the country.... plus.....Americans, Norwegians, Germans, Swedish and many many others, lots who have returned again and again...... they cannot be wrong........ and neither was I. When we go back to Alton Towers, or in the region generally - we will stay again. Thanks Chris & Margaret.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wow.That is one hell of a review.Thank you very much indeed.If anyone needs to know anything about our B/B THIS IS THE REVIEW TO READ.Such detail in every possible way.We were delighted that the Alton Towers Hotel priced itself out of the market and equally delighted that you choose to stay with us.Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you all when you are next in our area.
Regards Chris and Margaret.
Kinston-Upon-Hull, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Manor House Farm B&B is not just somewhere you stay while you visit tourist attractions. Manor House Farm B&B itself IS a tourist attraction.
We have stayed there twice now and during our first stay we identified more places nearby for future visits to give us another opportunity to stay in this beautiful, characterful, steeped in history, gem of a house and extensive, well-maintained gardens: and we must emphasise the charm, generosity and welcoming nature of Chris and Margaret, the owners.
AND we are so happy we have identified more places to visit in this area so that we can return again (nd again..) .
It is the only B&B we have stayed in where we have been reluctant to leave in a morning to go on our planned visits and would be perfectly happy to spend the day soaking up the atmosphere and relaxing here- either in the house, or one of he secluded nooks in the garden.
We can only echo the positives of what others have said about this perfect country retreat.
The negatives…? There are none!

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellant. The front ones do have the advantage of an excellant view of the gorgeo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
manorhousefarm, Owner at Manor House Farm, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
It is obviously always extremely pleasing to get excellent reviews but you have definately pulled out all the stops with this one.Thank you very very very much.
Margaret and I have as you know spent an awful lot to time creating what you find here and so it is very pleasing indeed when you find it equally enjoyable.I have been very lucky to have lived here all my life and absolutely love the place.but we would soon be in a mess if people stopped coming to stay.So thank you for visiting us again and i am very pleased you have found extra places of interest for your next visit.
Best wishes Chris and Margaret.

Been to Manor House Farm? Share your experiences!