“Cant wait to go back again” 5 of 5 stars

Malpas Hotel & Casino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cesur Sokak No 4 | KYRENIA, Catalkoy, Cyprus   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Catalkoy
Ayia Napa, Cyprus
“Cant wait to go back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

What a fantastic time our party of 13 had at this hotel for a 40th birthday, we only stayed 1 night but loved it so much we are definitely going to book again and stay for longer, this hotel has so much facilities to use including a beautiful indoor pool, spa and fitness centre and we didnt have the time to use them.

The staff were very helpful, the food was excellent, so much to choose from, we spent 3 hours in the dining room at breakfast time, and the rooms were lovely and clean and i slept all night without waking up once, something i have not done for years !!! This hotel gets a big 5/5 from me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have just returned from a one week stay, on a half-board basis, at the Malpas hotel. Hope my comments are helpful.

The good: Staff were brilliant. Friendly, courteous and helpful - exactly what hotel staff should be but are often not. Surprisingly, most of the staff I talked to came from mainland Turkey and not the 'northern republic'. In short we were made to feel very welcome and that (with one exception below) nothing was too much trouble. The staff deserve 10/10.

General amenities good. Given it is December, nobody used the outside pool and (luckily for us) very few used the jacuzzi, swimming pool, sauna and turkish spa in the basement. You could pay for various exotic types of massage and have manicures, pedicures etc. There was also a gym with a wide range of equipment. The whole 'health' area was definitely far better than any other of the many hotels I have stayed in. There was an attached casino in its sister hotel next door. I didn't use it but if that is what people want to do with their money then good for them. Amenities 10/10

The not so bad: All food was self-service buffet with a decent range of international cuisine. You could have fried egg and beans for breakfast or choose a dish of fruit, humous and yoghurt. Dinner was the same - lots of beef, lamb and liver with rice and vegetables. The only surprise was that there was very little fresh fish on the menu. It didn't worry me as I hate the stuff but my wife loves it and was disappointed about this. Food somewhere around 7/10 to 8/10.

Accommodation: The hotel has the usual rooms over three floors but also has 'bungalows' in its grounds separate from the main buildings. We were given a 'bungalow' but it was actually a spacious living area with a bed on a mezzanine level. The problem with this was that I had to walk downstairs at about 3.00 am for my nightly pee - middle aged men with enlarged prostates will understand. The bed was comfy and queen sized. Now the problem. I do not know long ago the hotel was built but the en-suite areas are looking very tired and would benefit from a refurbishment of all ceramic wear. Bathroom tiles could do with being re-grouted. I will award 7/10.

Another reviewer has referred to the cats in the grounds. There are quite a few of them but they are not feral and their coats indicate that they are being well cared for by someone.

The ugly: There is a room at one corner of the outside swimming pool which would normally be used for serving drinks, ice-creams etc. Given it is winter the hotel was (I found out later) experimenting with using the room for Saturday night clubbers who like to keep going until 3.00 am. On the one Saturday I was there I was woken, at 2.00 am, by the constant thud of the bass coming from this 'club'. After one hour of not being able to sleep I got up and went into the hotel reception to try and do something about it. The night receptionist seemed largely disinterested and went through the motions of pretending to ring various managers to try and assuage my annoyance. Eventually the music did stop at about 3.30 am. I complained to the guest liasion team and they were sympathetic but said I was the first person to complain about the noise. As the building was 30 metres from my bungalow I was surprised to hear that. Score 1/10.

Overall impression: I would definitely go back to the Malpas but would insist on having a room on the top floor at the furthest point from any nightclub noise. In terms of value for money it was excellent. Northern Cyprus if very cheap and just as pretty as south if you bother to explore the place. Car hire was unbelievably cheap. 8/10 would be my overall mark.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from outside pool. At the front you will get a lovely sea view. At the back you w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

All in all, we enjoyed our week at the Malpas, there are a few drawbacks that are mainly the location, there is very little around the hotel, the town of Kyrenia is about an hour and a half walk away, a bus is supplied twice a day, but it is very over-crowded.
We used the air conditioning, but awoke to the smell of stale cigarette smoke that enters the system from the casino under the hotel.
I would not reccommend this hotel to a family with young children, there is simply very little for them, no sandy beach, no kids club, and also whole area is a safety minefield for toddlers.
Now to the food, we were on a half board basis, breakfast was good, great selection for all,
the evening meal was often lacking in the main course, lots of Turkish stews, and all the fish was very boney, but there was always somthing to satisfy.
Our spacious bedroom had a fantastic sea view. The maid service kept the room spotless, but take your own kettle, as nothing is provided to make your own tea etc. The mini bar was well stocked,but rather expensive.
We found the staff to be helpful in general, but it is difficult to get a smile, or even eye contact from the head of reception.
The indoor pool and spa area was fantastic, but the pool and jaccuzi were not heated sufficiently, and therefore under-used.
The holiday was booked through Cyprus Paradise and we are very pleased with their service and fantastic deal.

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must, but the sun did not shine on this side
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Birchington, Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Having read a number of negative accounts for the Malpas, my wife and I were more than pleasantly surprised following the enjoyable 10 days that we spent there.
On our evening arrival, we were ushered into the restaurant, even though it was about to close, for refreshment after our journey. Check-in was easy and we were shown to our sea-view room with balcony on the second floor. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well presented with plenty of towels. We brought our own travel jug for morning cups of tea and coffee – why do some people always expect to find these facilities in foreign hotels?
There seems to be much discussion regarding rooms with a mountain (sun) or sea view (no sun). Personally, we preferred the sea view room. With temperatures averaging 25° - 30°C, who would want to risk sunstroke sitting on a baking balcony. With the hotel being a few kilometres inland, as well as the splendid sea view, we were able to watch life going by in the Kyrenia suburbs.
The majority of the staff we encountered were helpful and eager to please. Special mentions must go to: Cynthia, the Guest Relations Representative who provided valuable assistance on a number of occasions and, most importantly, always followed up to ensure we were happy. Mehmet is a credit to the hotel. His friendly and willing nature proved popular with all guests whether it be at the poolside cafe or the main restaurant and bar. Asaada, a waiter in the main restaurant, always provided a smiling welcome.
Comments have been made about the food. Perhaps, it was somewhat “samey”, but remember this is Turkish style cuisine. There was plenty of choice and I defy anyone not to be able to find something to their liking. We found no problems with “cold food” – the restaurant displayed requests for any problems like this to be brought to their attention. My wife, who has dietary intolerances, was taken care of by the restaurant manager, Mr Mustapha, who proved very helpful in discussing her requirements and instructing the chefs to prepare suitable dishes for her.
The swimming pool area is one of the hotel’s best assets. With more than enough loungers and parasols to go round, we encountered none of the “reserved” sun-bed problems that one sees so often in hotels. The pool attendant was amazing, spending much of his time racing around the pool area preventing guests from having to move sunbeds or open parasols. He seemed truly dedicated to the guests’ welfare and comfort.
The only disappointment is the guests’ Beach Club. A complimentary shuttle is provided, but sadly the area has seen better days and has suffered the ravages of wind and waves. We believe that there are plans to provide much needed investment in order to bring this back to an acceptable beach relaxation area.
Car hire at £20 – £23 (depending on hire duration) which includes full insurance is real value for money. Cynthia of Guest Relations kindly advised and researched the best deal. Take the opportunity to explore - Bellapais Abbey, Kyrenia Castle, Famagusta and Nicosia amongst others.
In conclusion, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Malpas and considered it to be very good value for money. We would recommend this hotel for those not requiring constant entertainment, but simply enjoying peace and relaxation in a pleasant location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Crayford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Thinking of going to Northern Cyprus for your next holiday? Then think Malpas Hotel & Casino, NO! don't think it, DO IT! Our initial reception was brilliant. Our room was superb, with magnificent views of the ocean and the pools and the room service was excellent. Now I have to admit that I'm not a lover of 'self-service' (I don't even really enjoy carveries when at home) however, the lay-out of the restaurant, the variety of foods (both local and international), and the attitude of the waiters and waitresses left absolutely nothing to be desired. The pool area was kept in an immaculate condition and the supplied towels were always freshly laundered and
readily available. The food from the pool-side bar was excellent and the waiters ever-ready
to serve you at your loungers. The hotel laid on transport to both the near-by town of Kyrenia and their private beach and restaurant which was both free, clean, punctual and frequent. Should you ever need assistance,as we once did, Claire and Cynthia are both caring and excellent negotiators. Was there a down-side? Yes! the Casino was my down-fall, may-be next time!!

Room Tip: We had a sea view which suffered from no noise from the evening entertainment. Our friends had a mou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The bed was the most comfortable, the food was nice and the staff were incredibly friendly. However, I went on a package deal for a week which cost over £1600, Mercury claiming that it was 5*. This is not a five star hotel therefore not worth what we paid but this is a shame as I really liked it and would like to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Was at the Malpas Mid September 2013, Let me say at the start of this review, we had a nice time. It could have been great if my expectations was not 5 star !!! But as this is rated a 5 star I thought that's what we would get ??
In a few ways the Malpas was 5 star, but unfortunately in many ways it wasn't.
I'll start with the really good bits..........
Staff are fantastic, from the reception, dining room to the pool staff who were lovely all the time, nothing too much trouble.
The views from the pool are amazing, see attached photo's
Clean throughout, lovely entrance and reception/lounge area
Nice size rooms, nice and quiet, we were in the block to the side of main hotel, really nice. We travelled with Mercury Direct, Rep was really nice and very informative, just enough not too much.
Courtesy buses, very good, always on time, to the town and the beach club. If the drivers saw you walking they would stop and ask if you wanted a lift.

Now the poor bits................ See photos;
No activities at all, none, not even the odd water aerobics.
No animation team, there is an amphitheatre around the pool but this was never used ( we were there for 10 nights from 11th -21st Sept, hardly out of season. The only entertainment was one guy with a guitar out on the terrace, he wasn't bad but same songs, similar entertainment for the whole 10 nights (cab down to the town was called for a few nights, which was reasonable charge £8/9 each way)
Bar staff was very polite and sweet but too slow, even if you went to the bar yourself it took an age to get your drink and they wasn't even busy. Only one barman, so if he got an order with a few cocktails you had to wait and age.
No newspaper on sale, one little shop with empty shelves, which we never saw open.
Bed linen not changed enough, after 5 days, I had to tell maid to change, which she did without question. I would expect at least every 3 days in 5 star!
TV Channels rubbish. no DVD
Beach club is advertised, but actually there is no beach at all, only decking with access to sea. bar staff at the beach club really nice, once again nothing too much trouble. Unfortunately towels and furniture let the beach club down big time, also very messy ( see pics.) you will understand why we think its not 5 star. (probably was when new, but had been left to rot)
Food was Ok, but only ever warm, never hot. Good selection.
No tea/coffee facilities in room, not done apparently in Cyprus !! again not 5 star, Take your own kettle and tea bags etc.,
I would have loved to have a treatment in the spa, but when I enquired the lady in the spa only had a photocopy of all treatments and price list and I could take away to browse, so I didn't
Overall an ok holiday, would go back probably, with own kettle and lower expectations.
Beach club badly needs a revamp.
Malpas could easily be a 5 star but at present I would say a 4 star overall.

Hope this review helps

Room Tip: Rooms in the block to the side of main building is nice and quiet. if that's what you like. We...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Malpas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!