“Poor... Smelly... Deathtrap.. CRAPOS!” 1 of 5 stars

Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa
Catalkoy village, Catalkoy, Cyprus   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Catalkoy
London, United Kingdom
“Poor... Smelly... Deathtrap.. CRAPOS!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had a family wedding at Cratos earlier in September. Without expressing exactly how poor the wedding was organised by the staff at Cratos I have so many negatives regarding our stay its unbelievable.

First and foremost we had one of the villa suites for myself, wife and our 2 young children. Our room stank of sewage, after complaining the best they could do was provide us with air fresher.. not a change of room.. but air fresher!

The amenities for children are a joke, nothing to keep the children active whilst you enjoy a nice relaxed stay.

My mother inlaw who was in a room in the main Hotel fell in the bathroom and cracked her face open after trying to get out of there deep baths...why have a such a deep bath in a small bathroom still bemuses me. Anyway when she went to Hospital the Doctors and nurses informed her that he was not the first person who had encountered a bad accident from Cratos as it was a regular occurrence.

Ive never reviewed before and this is my first as usually I travel many countries and I dont mid the odd hiccup in Hotels but these guys were the most ignorrant Ive ever encountered.

Stay here if your 20-40... and just want to relax, its nothing special.. and its soo not worth the money.

Room Tip: Do not even attempt to book a small single room, the bathroom is a death trap!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ozan_okcu, Guest Relations Manager at Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are so sorry to hear your dissatisfaction about the family wedding earlier in September, which we had no negative comments neither during nor after the wedding from the marrying couple or from their parent-in-law at all. On the contrary we had many appreciation from the participants.
We do apologize about the inconvenience that you had in your room. We were unfortunately not able to change your room, due to the high occupancy of club suites.
Although we don’t have a kids animator in CRATOS Premium unlike in other resort hotels, our mini club of 70 m2 is big enough to offer various options to keep children active during their vacation from 9 am till 12 pm with its multinational staff.
We are deeply sorry about the unfortunate accident that your mother-in-law had experienced but we cannot accept the exaggerated term “death trap”. Our rooms have a bathtub in a standard height of 22 inches.
We are looking forward to see you back in CRATOS Premium in order to change the negative opinions of yours about our hotel.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this FABULOUS resort in September and have been thinking about it ever since. The accommodation was fantastic (our view could have been a little better though) and the food service was really first class. I think I put on about 5 kilos in 3 days!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Cyprus!

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea or pool view would probably be the best!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one short week in Cratos! Everything was very, very good! Stuff was friendly, helpfull, had no problem with English! Clean pool and everywhere around.. the spa is perfect! Delicious food, every day some new dishes, life music for diners!
Our TV was broken but the plumber came in 5 min after we called reception! Perfect stuff....
I love to came back there again! Olga

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
izmir turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My daughter and I have visited Cyprus last August and we stayed 4 days in Cratos Hotel.The hotel is very clean,the front desk and guest relation is very helpful.We found the beds a little bit small and wanted to change the room.The next day they gave us a very comfortable suıt room and didn't charge any more extra.
The food was delicious and the waiters were very kind.The weather was really not very hot although we were in August,and they have shuttle fast every half and hour to Girne both ways.If I go to Cyprus once more I'd definetly stayed there again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 5 days at Cratos and were with a group of friends for a wedding. We all had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, the pool is lovely, and the food is good. However by the 5th day I had enough as it is the same everyday. There is a good salad selection and I loved the pasta station, so veggies will be be ok!

Our room overlooked the pool and had two bathrooms, a balcony, Queen bed (I think it is meant to be king but not quite big enough) and a living room area. We loved it even though we were not in it much. My only thing with the room was the towels. There was the two of us with 2 bathrooms, however we only had one towel each and, no hand towels or wash cloths. And the towels were a brown/beige colour. For me towels in hotels need to be white and if it is a 5 star hotel there should be 2 bath towels, a hand towel and a wash cloth per person. There was also no bathrobe, however there were slippers. I am guessing it was just a mistake in our room.

My experience with the staff was good. Friendly at check in and helpful bellman on arrival. The waiters at the restaurant were a little slow but that didn't bother us too much. I know other guest in our group that were Turkish had a very different experience with staff and thought the service was terrible, but this didn't effect us. One night us girls ordered room service in the brides room and it took almost 2 hours and then the food was cold! That obviously was not good, and we never ordered again.

There are no irons in the room so you have to call housekeeping to have your things pressed and they bill it to your room This was a little annoying as if you change your mind on outfit last minute there may not be time to get it pressed if yo need it! So just get everything done on arrival and hang it up just incase.

There is a club called the Cage at the hotel and we had 2 really fun nights there. Not sure how busy it would have been if we weren't there as we did bring a crowd. But a good time was had by all.

We had our hair and make up done in the salon for the wedding and they did a fantastic job. Everyone looked stunning and they managed to fit us all in and we were all very happy with the results. My husband also used the spa and said it was good.

We really enjoyed our stay and it is a great hotel, especially for groups however if they paid a little more attention to the small details it could be fantastic and get its full five stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I do like Cratos it is one of the better Kyrenia Hotels BUT they could easily be the best.

Where to start, firstly the double rooms are just that, they say they can take 3 adults but you wont have room to swing a cat or get access to the balcony.
The rooms over looking the pool are fab but they come with a more hefty price tag.
I think the the food is out of this world, fresh, plentiful and great value for money. There was a singer and band most nights which made the atmosphere really lovely.
The staff are inconsistent, some couldn't do enough for you where as others had attitude and couldn't even be bothered to smile .
The music around the terrace bar at night was the same every night. When we asked them to change the music, ( we were there 12 nights) they said they only had two CD,s!!!
During the day the music by the pool is far too loud, you can't hear yourself think. It's like being in a night club. They should turn it down a tad but no matter how many times we asked it made no difference.
We found some of the weekend guests, clearly there for just the gambling, disrespectful. They would literally sit on our beds wet from the pool and have a smoke without batting an eyelid. The hotel needs pool butlers to ensure everything is kept in order. It would also be nice if there were waiters around the pool offering to get you drinks rather than you having to go to the bar.
The Spa at the hotel is superb, it is first class, the facilities have the wow factor and so do the number of treatments on offer. I think for a 5 star hotel the prices for the treatments were very reasonable.
The Cage club , which is part of Port Cratos, over looks the sea and has four poster beds to chill out on day and night. We absolutely loved having sundowners there every night. This place was awesome. The water sports from there were also top notch.
What Cratos needs is to improve on its customer service and to make their guests feel special. They have a long way to go on that front. It is as if they are doing you a favour by letting you stay their and it is such a shame as the hotel has some fantastic aspects too it.

Room Tip: Book the rooms overlooking the pool, they are far more superior than the standard main hotel rooms...
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Due to technical problems, the first our room immediately changed. Despite the difficulties had to be given a new room. the phone was not working. shower curtain would not close. not going to the toilet water. reception staff very uninterested. the sea is beautiful. the right side of the beach is a nasty smell i dont understand this smell . a single side of the hotel's excellent meals. operation has been spending a lot of money but that this not so good . I dont stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa? Share your experiences!