“Lovely hotel, attention to details could make it fantastic” 4 of 5 stars

Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Catalkoy village, Catalkoy, Cyprus   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Catalkoy
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, attention to details could make it fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 5 days at Cratos and were with a group of friends for a wedding. We all had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, the pool is lovely, and the food is good. However by the 5th day I had enough as it is the same everyday. There is a good salad selection and I loved the pasta station, so veggies will be be ok!

Our room overlooked the pool and had two bathrooms, a balcony, Queen bed (I think it is meant to be king but not quite big enough) and a living room area. We loved it even though we were not in it much. My only thing with the room was the towels. There was the two of us with 2 bathrooms, however we only had one towel each and, no hand towels or wash cloths. And the towels were a brown/beige colour. For me towels in hotels need to be white and if it is a 5 star hotel there should be 2 bath towels, a hand towel and a wash cloth per person. There was also no bathrobe, however there were slippers. I am guessing it was just a mistake in our room.

My experience with the staff was good. Friendly at check in and helpful bellman on arrival. The waiters at the restaurant were a little slow but that didn't bother us too much. I know other guest in our group that were Turkish had a very different experience with staff and thought the service was terrible, but this didn't effect us. One night us girls ordered room service in the brides room and it took almost 2 hours and then the food was cold! That obviously was not good, and we never ordered again.

There are no irons in the room so you have to call housekeeping to have your things pressed and they bill it to your room This was a little annoying as if you change your mind on outfit last minute there may not be time to get it pressed if yo need it! So just get everything done on arrival and hang it up just incase.

There is a club called the Cage at the hotel and we had 2 really fun nights there. Not sure how busy it would have been if we weren't there as we did bring a crowd. But a good time was had by all.

We had our hair and make up done in the salon for the wedding and they did a fantastic job. Everyone looked stunning and they managed to fit us all in and we were all very happy with the results. My husband also used the spa and said it was good.

We really enjoyed our stay and it is a great hotel, especially for groups however if they paid a little more attention to the small details it could be fantastic and get its full five stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I do like Cratos it is one of the better Kyrenia Hotels BUT they could easily be the best.

Where to start, firstly the double rooms are just that, they say they can take 3 adults but you wont have room to swing a cat or get access to the balcony.
The rooms over looking the pool are fab but they come with a more hefty price tag.
I think the the food is out of this world, fresh, plentiful and great value for money. There was a singer and band most nights which made the atmosphere really lovely.
The staff are inconsistent, some couldn't do enough for you where as others had attitude and couldn't even be bothered to smile .
The music around the terrace bar at night was the same every night. When we asked them to change the music, ( we were there 12 nights) they said they only had two CD,s!!!
During the day the music by the pool is far too loud, you can't hear yourself think. It's like being in a night club. They should turn it down a tad but no matter how many times we asked it made no difference.
We found some of the weekend guests, clearly there for just the gambling, disrespectful. They would literally sit on our beds wet from the pool and have a smoke without batting an eyelid. The hotel needs pool butlers to ensure everything is kept in order. It would also be nice if there were waiters around the pool offering to get you drinks rather than you having to go to the bar.
The Spa at the hotel is superb, it is first class, the facilities have the wow factor and so do the number of treatments on offer. I think for a 5 star hotel the prices for the treatments were very reasonable.
The Cage club , which is part of Port Cratos, over looks the sea and has four poster beds to chill out on day and night. We absolutely loved having sundowners there every night. This place was awesome. The water sports from there were also top notch.
What Cratos needs is to improve on its customer service and to make their guests feel special. They have a long way to go on that front. It is as if they are doing you a favour by letting you stay their and it is such a shame as the hotel has some fantastic aspects too it.

Room Tip: Book the rooms overlooking the pool, they are far more superior than the standard main hotel rooms...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Due to technical problems, the first our room immediately changed. Despite the difficulties had to be given a new room. the phone was not working. shower curtain would not close. not going to the toilet water. reception staff very uninterested. the sea is beautiful. the right side of the beach is a nasty smell i dont understand this smell . a single side of the hotel's excellent meals. operation has been spending a lot of money but that this not so good . I dont stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Room was not ready on arrival. The porter (!) got lost taking us to our room!! The room keys didn't work so we had to wait another 10-15 mins while he walked the miles back to the reception.
The room was a twin with no cot (requested double with cot).
Bathroom had mould growing all round the bath and up the wall.
On opening the balcony door I was greeted by probably the largest spiders (+ web) I have ever seen out of a cage!
Bed was clean, but the tiled floor was filthy, realised after walking round the room for a few mins my feet were black.
Requested a different room and was told there were none available due to the poker tournament.
Decor was shabby and upkeep of the hotel neglected.

Rude, discourteous, overworked staff at every turn, food looked good with plenty of choice, but is soon became apparent that same food was layed out day in day out until gone. I had stomach upset second day so stuck to only the freshly cooked meats that i could see them cooking.

I took my niece bowling, they would not put the €13 charge on the room, they would not accept card. So I walked the mile back to the bedroom and got some money. Paid the attendant, waited half hour for my change, went back to find out why it was taking so long to find that the attendant who had taken my money had finished and gone home, my change no-where in sight. The new attendant tried to argue that I'd had my change (€87)! Manager called, video played, given change, in YTL not €, they made no apology for the mess so I caused stink about being given change in YTL when all prices in hotel quoted in €. Change given in Euros.

I had booked the room via the casino and was told that the room would be complimentary subject to me making a $5,000 cash deposit in the casino and playing every night; win or loose. On the last night I went to check the room service bill (not inluded) and to my horror the bill was €960 (3 night stay)! I complained. I had to wait 20 minutes before a manager came to tell me that I needed to go to the Casino... Down to the Casino I went to be told that the room price was only free if I played certain games, poker excluded! They offered me a discounted rate of €110 per night... PLUS I was told if I didn't pay, it would be taken from the deposit cards given by the other guests in our party (14 of us in all)!

Prior to our arrival at the hotel they had offered complimentary pick up and drop off. Considering the previous issues, I spoke to the casino manageress the morning before our return and confirmed the time of departure, and that the transfer back to Larnaca would be complimentary (I have family in Cyprus who could have picked us up if it was not). During the ride back to Larnaca it became clear that this had not been communicated to the driver who was demanding €95. I called & was told that the Casino would not pay the bill and that I would have to pay. The line went dead, I thought maybe I had lost signal so I called back, waited in the queue, eventually answered only to be hung up on again!! I paid the taxi driver as it was not his fault. Unfortunately it does not end there, 2 days later when my cousin checked out, the hotel tried to charge my him for my connection back to Larnaca claiming that I had refused to pay the driver! Truly unbelievable.

Forget about Cratos, even with the €240 per night discount it was still vastly overpriced and a complete waste of money and time, barely a 3* hotel. I have never had a more stressful experience than staying at this hotel. The service was beyond poor. Quite frankly I would rather have an enema once a week for the rest of my life than go back to this hotel ever again.

If you want to stay in a beautiful hotel in Cyprus with excellent service and food that is out of this world then stay at the intercontinental, APHRODITE HILLS; and it is cheaper!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel must have been built as a factory or something. I think it has the least welcoming architecture I have ever seen in a five star hotel. It is supposed to have been built to the highest standard. They even tried to bring J Lo to the opening!!
I suggest the place is a monument to decoration with opulant and tastelessness in mind. It mainly caters for rich ussions coming over to gamble I think.
The rooms are decorated in red and black, no privacy in toilets as the seperations are glass. Gold glitter in places where you don't really expect. Not for me, not for a tasteful hotel by the sea as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
İstanbul, Türkiye
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Cratos hotel is a little piece of heaven on the waterfront in cyprus..
The service when we arrived at reception was professional and extremely friendly. The food was also fabulous( except desserts ) . Excellent beach and pools ( ecxept beach was small ) Would love to come back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the Cratos on Friday 1st June and Saturday 2nd June with my partner and child as we were attending a wedding. We had booked a family room but when we got to Reception and checked in we were told the hotel was full and we were only having a double room with a pull out bed. To be honest I wasn't impressed but we were only there for two nights so I couldn't be bothered to complain.
I would say If you are looking for a luxury hotel with the wow factor looks wise then the Cratos is the place to stay. However you will pay for the privilege. The hotel entrance is stunning and the whole hotel is breath taking it has the usual shops but at a much better quality from the full spa, gym to the shops and hair dressers. The bar prices reflect this quality too so beware if you are fancying a night on the tiles here it will cost you. We stayed in a double room here with a pull out bed the room was a fair size nothing to write home about but was clean and well presented. The bathroom was spotless and comprised of 2 parts, the toilet separate to the bath/ shower and was very useful. No view really though and it would have been nice to have sea, pool or mountain view, however you will pay big time for a view. Also beware using anything from the extensive but very expensive mini bar. I think a bottle of water from the mini bar was £5.00. Buy your own for 25p from the supermarket down the road like we did.
The staff are the biggest disappointment for me they just don't live up to the reputation or the quality of the hotel. They ignore you at the bar leave you waiting at reception and are generally just not interested. We waited over 20 minutes just to get a cup of tea at breakfast and then got coffee and a shrug of the shoulders. Not what I would expect for the money. Not impressed at all.
We only stayed room and breakfast and have to say the food was very good quality.
The pool here is extensive and also has a beach area below so you decide where you prefer.
All in all it's a very good hotel. Very expensive but certainly one of the best in Northern Cyprus but don't expect the staff to go out of their way for you - unless you tip them heavily. Would I return - yes but not in a hurry!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa? Share your experiences!