“Don't bother” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,321 of 1,539 Restaurants in Copenhagen
IOW, UK
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a very poor excuse for a place to eat. My set meal teppanyaki took 2 and a half hours to deliver. It was mediocre at best and that's generous. I love food and in particular Japanese food.

Do yourself a favour and go somewhere else.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Malmo, Sweden
“The realist”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I thought that I would take the time to write a real and proper review of this restaurant.

Despite the fact that I read a lot of reviews of this restaurant in beforehand, I was still being quite optimistic about visiting this Japanese restaurant for a chance to experience real Teppanyaki and a taste of authentic Japanese cuisine (as being seductively bragged about by the restaurant's webpage), so I decided to take a chance and make a reservation for New Year's Eve in hope for something special.

With that being said, I can honestly say that I was convinced when I walked out of the restaurant that this experience indeed was something special, but unfortunately it was in the other way I was hoping for.

The interior looks somewhat similar of an old and runned-down, cheap chinese restaurant you can find around the corner of every city street. The appetizers, presented in a bento-box containing some small “fine” Japanese cold starters did not only look unoriginal and Chinese, but the small pieces of sushi was totally mediocre. Having lived in Tokyo, Japan, for a good period of time to experience a majority of its Japanese cuisine, this restaurant's pieces of badly prepared rice and fish pressed together should not be allowed to be called Sushi in the first place.

After having finished the unsatisfying starters, the menu said that it was supposed to being followed by a lobster and salmon from the teppanyaki. It turned out that we literally had to wait well over 30 minutes, sitting in front of the teppanyaki plate completely empty-handed except for the drinks, until the slow-paced chef started to cook the lobster and salmon for us. It was not only rude, but also very unprofessional to see how the unenthusiastic chef cooked the food for the other guests (that was sitting at tables well inside the restaurant) before serving us. A real teppanyaki experience is supposed to be personal, between the chef and the guests sitting around the teppanyaki plate only. The other guests sitting at the normal tables should be serviced by the real kitchen behind the doors.

The lobster was just “ok” and the salmon tasted good but was way too overcooked and dry. It was definitely not worth the wait. In normal cases, I would have just payed for my drinks and starters and then left, but it was New Year's Eve and I did not want to make a scene even though I was constantly being pushed to the limit of what is considered to be accepted.

The fillet of beef was right after and it was way too over seasoned with soy sauce. Also here, a real Japanese teppanyaki would never drench a piece of nice beef in soy sauce, only a pinch of salt and pepper and let the beef taste like beef. Of course, not only the interior and food tasted Chinese, all of the chefs and waitresses were Chinese too! Not very surprisingly, they all spoke Chinese too and couldn't even understand any Japanese at all, only English. The owners seems to be Chinese as well, which is totally misleading from the restaurant's webpage which makes you believe that you will have a pure authentic Japanese experience.

The last and worst part of this evening would be on our way out of the restaurant. We had to pay 1100 DKK per person, about 195 USD or 147 EURO, which is totally out of this world overpriced for this bad quality food! The beef was not even real Wagyu, like someone would believe it would turn out to be if they saw the price on the menu. The restaurant was almost half-full at it's best, something that would be considered very odd for a New Year's Eve when the two other restaurants right beside were completely fully packed. I guess that pretty much sums up about what kind of reputation this restaurant has by the Copenhagen residents.

My guess is that this restaurant is basically being artificially kept alive by it's income from the hotel's tourists, who are mislead and tricked inside by the restaurant's name “Kyoto”. The truth is that a better fitting name for this restaurant would be something more like “Shanghai”, after all, the chefs and waitresses are all Chinese, the food is badly presented and tastes like cheap Chinese food too and the waiting time is, well, let's just say that we spent more time waiting for the food than eating it.

Do yourself a favor in life and don't waste your time and money for this overpriced crap, don't do as me and believe that it will turn out to be something else from what the honest reviews on TripAdvisor says it is. This restaurant is an insult to Japanese cuisine.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oswego, Illinois
“OK Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

More of a fixed price menu, definitely not hibachi like americans are used to. The food wasn't bad, but I felt it was overpriced - even for Danish standards.

Visited November 2012
“Worst Teppanyaki place ever!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The service was very poor. The staff extremely unorganized.
I did not check any reviews prior, as i was expecting a decent restaurant located at the Radisson Blu.
Dont waste your time and money on this as it is as bad as it can be.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Santa Rosa, California
“Good but not great, service needs work!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We enjoyed our meal here tonight. The teriyaki chicken was very flavorful and enjoyed, The Sukiyaki was cooked at table, but the wait person got it going and went off to serve other tables. There were only two staff to wait tables tonight. When the fire went out on our pot, due to my husband trying to help, we waited and no one came to check on us. So I eventually went to find help. She did restart our pot, but never returned until we flagged her down to get the bill!

• Visited September 2012