“The best restaurant in the world and I agreed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Noma

Noma
93 Strandgade, 1401 Copenhagen K, Copenhagen DK-1401, Denmark (Christianshavn)
+45 3296 3297
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 1,423 restaurants in Copenhagen
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Christianshavn
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“The best restaurant in the world and I agreed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was very lucky to get a table for 4 in less than 2 months in advance. I learned some people have to book Noma well in advance, like over a year. Believe me, their foods are not something you can get anywhere else in the world. It is purely gastronomic and they kept bring pieces of arts to your table. The foods taste surprisingly wonderful and need some courage for some people on some of the foods. The pairing wines and juices went great with the foods. I don't want to ruin your surprises by telling you too much details about the foods. The service is unparallel and top of the class. When the staff learned that my 9 year-old son had birthday two days ago, they brought a really special chocolate cake for him (and us). We all enjoyed very much the time spent at Noma. To dine at Noma is expensive, but well worth it. You are not eating there everyday. Highly recommend whenever you are in Copenhagen, but book early!

• Visited June 2014

85% Recommend
London, UK
“What an experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Managed to get a table here for a weekday lunchtime, and planned out Copenhagen visit around this.

Got soaked on the way there as there was an unexpected thunderstorm, but staff were welcoming and helpful from the moment we arrived.

I won't go into detail on the 20 small courses, but we loved the whole thing. Afterwards we got a tour of the kitchens and tasting area, where they try out new flavours and dishes.

Our waitress was fantastic and I wished I could remember her name so I could thank her on here. She was extremely knowledgable, friendly and engaging. You expect good service for the amount of money you pay but she exceeded our expectations.

We won't go again, as it's a once in a lifetime experience, but will recommend it to others.

Visited June 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
“A Performance that provides a Feast for your Senses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

A wonderful 12 course extravagance with complimentary wines for each course. Pickled vegetables and bone marrow, razor clams with dill and horseradish and the pike with cabbages and verbena were particular taste highlights. Meal was so special and was further enhanced by having the opportunity to experience the back room technical areas were the food was being carefully and so considerately prepared by the team. Magical.

• Visited July 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
“Still very fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is my second time at Noma and it is still a fantastic dinner experience. If you want to try the nordic food in a very high skilled complex way this is still the number one restaurant.
The food they are serving are more like nordic art, very amazing. If you are used to visit fine dining restaurants you will definitely experience something very different in a positive way.
You could wish more of the wine list but it is well combined with the food.
The service is fantastic.

• Visited June 2014
Rockville, Maryland
“Memorable dining experience? Yes. The best restaurant in the world? Up to you.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

It is hard to review and rank noma on TripAdvisor. It’s not a meal that I (or anyone) have on an average trip. So, it is hard to fit noma in the standards of the star system, but I will do my best.

The food. They don’t make food here. The conjure it. They take the simplest ingredients and transform them into something that wake up your five senses. You eat with your eyes, ears, nose, hands and taste buds. The epitome of sensory awakening was the frozen red currants with young spruce and olive oil, the very first dish that we had. The taste and sensation hit me with such a surprise that if I hadn’t yet allowed myself to arrive for my noma experience, this first bite got me strapped into my chair and focused. The dishes here let the flavors of the ingredients come out. For example, juices and desserts use very little sugar, so you can taste the fruits, the vegetables and the other ingredients that make them up. This doesn’t mean that you taste what you see, however. The dishes are full of visual surprises.

The drinks. You have an option of pairing your meal with wine or juice. We went with the juice option because we curious, and those juices turned out to be very unique and delicious. One benefit of the juice pairing is that the juices are light, had little sugar and gave refreshing acidity to cut through some of the dishes. So, you don’t feel full too early. (You will be there for three plus hours, so pace yourself!) If you opt for the wine pairing, you will get to sample unique wine selections – small batches, unfiltered, etc. In retrospect, one of us could have done juice and the other wine, but no regrets.

The service. Professional, yet informal and friendly. It felt almost like a friend is serving you a meal and talking to you about different dishes, ingredients, techniques and about food in Denmark, Danish customs, etc. Our main server was very knowledgeable and was passionate about his profession and the restaurant.

The experience. The two of us shared a table of eight with three other couples. The couple next to us are young chefs from Germany, and we had fun talking about food, about their trip and about everything else. We had fun over lunch. The clientele here is there because they love food, and through food, you can connect with them. After all, it took us three plus hours for lunch. (We arrived a bit after 12 noon and didn’t leave until a bit after 4:30 PM!) The restaurant also gives you a tour of the kitchen (indoor and outdoor), the private dining room and the food lab. You get to see the beautiful things that you just ate being made for others. You get to witness the innovation, the dedication and the hard work that go into each bite. It makes the bill looks more reasonable.

The price. Besides being able to get a table, I feel fortunate to have the means to pay for this experience. It is expensive – more like $$$$$ or $$$$$$ - but I think it was worth it. For me, I paid to experience culinary innovation and restaurant excellence.

Despite my raving, noma was not one of the best meals I have ever had in a restaurant. “Best” is such a big word. It is subjective. It is context-dependent. For Copenhagen alone, I have had more memorable experiences elsewhere, from low-key places like Sankt Annae 8 or Klint at the Design Museum, to higher-end places like Geist and Geranium. Also, foraging and cooking with insects, both used at noma, are not new to me. I grew up with those, and the novelty didn’t work on me. If anything, the label “the best restaurant” distracted me from the full experience. Instead of being there and enjoying the experience, my mind occasionally analyzed and evaluated whether it was indeed the best restaurant.

How to get a table? Be flexible. We did not plan to eat at noma at all. When we booked the trip three months prior to our departure, it was too late to book a dinner at noma. It turned out that noma was a few blocks away from where we stayed, so we thought, “Let’s give it a shot!” So, we went online and put our names on the waitlist for lunch on a Tuesday. They called Tuesday morning, but we couldn’t pick up the phone in time. They didn’t leave a message, and when we called back the number literally a minute later, the table was given away. So, we went back online, put our names on the waitlist again, this time for both Thursday and Friday, and wrote them a nice note that we didn’t get the table because we didn’t pick up the phone in time. The phone rang the next morning, we picked up right away, and we got two seats at the communal table. So, if you stay in Copenhagen for a few days, have a flexible schedule, are open for lunch at the communal table on a weekday, you might have a shot. Just remember that when your caller ID shows an unrecognized Copenhagen number, it may be noma!

• Visited May 2014