“Don't believe the hype” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen

Save Saved
You added Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen to your Saves list
Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vesterbrogade 107, Copenhagen 1620, Denmark (Formerly Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden, Copenhagen) (Vesterbro - Kongens Enghave)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 118 hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami Beach, Florida
“Don't believe the hype”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel based on the TripAdvisor reviews. I travel for business globally 10-15 days per month, and so have some basis from which to make an assessment of worldwide hotels. This hotel is not worth your time and money.

First, this hotel is not in a "quaint" part of the city; it is in a rundown part which requires the front doors to be locked at all times. Moreover, a city bus stop is located five feet from the front door, so you will have to walk through a group of near-vagrants to even get in the front door. As a single man, it was uncomfortable; I could not imagine doing so as a single woman.

The owner/manager greeted me once I made it inside, and seemed nice enough. The place is small and old, but that did not really phase me (this being Europe). The fireworks really started, however, when I went up to my room to find it stifling and without air conditioning. In fact, the only way to have any air circulation in the room at all was to leave the single balcony door open at all times--this in a "quaint" (read unsafe) neighborhood.

I was not going to stay in a hot little room without air conditioning, and booked another hotel online that had air conditioning. I made my way back to the front desk to inform the owner/manager that I would be leaving, and found him to be extremely rude and unfriendly. He informed me that he would be charging me for my room, since I had "booked it in good faith." This is a ludicrous approach when dealing with global travelers--if there is a major problem with a room a customer is never charged for it. This is apparently not the way this hotel does business. It is too bad that some businesses value greedy small-mindedness over courtesy and customer service.

There are some nice hotels in Copenhagen, but this is not one of them. Don't believe the hype, and save yourself the grief.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Brian N

I thank you for posting a review of your half an hour stay with us. I respect the fact that you did not find our location to harmonize with what you were seeking, but your description is far off from what other TripAdvisor users describe, and how residents view the area.

Your decision to seek alternative accommodation was one that actually pleased me, in that I in no manner feel that we could live up to your expectations - you being a global traveller.

We do not have, and will not have airconditioning - as it is doe not harmonize with our environmental policies and is not necessary with the mild Copenhagen climate. I though pleased to learn that you did find accommodation in one of the few hotels in the city that have airconditioning.

I am though saddened in the manner you chose to communicate this to me when you departed, and the arrogance displayed in your subsequent correspondance with me through your assistant.

I hope that your trip to Copenhagen was successful despite the challenges that our lacking airconditioning posed.

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a very pleasant four nights at Bertrams Hotel at the end of June and would certainly recommend the hotel which is clean, well appointed and very friendly. Nicholas, the proprietor, made us very welcome and couldn't have done more to help us find our feet and our way around the city. Breakfasts were excellent with a huge choice of breads, fruit and an excellent offering of cheese. The walk into the main part of Copenhagen is a decent stroll but there is a bus stop immediately outside the front door while bicycles are available to rent from the hotel. Our advice would be to lean on Nicholas for local restaurant recommendations, Copenhagen is not a cheap city so probably trial and error isn't the best way to find out which are the good and bad restaurants. Also make use of the Copenhagen card straight away to save on the major attractions while take advantage of the free travel and take the train to Roskilde and visit the Viking museum and the amazing cathedral. Well worth a visit and really easy to get there and back. Thanks Nicholas we wish you good luck for the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Monkeys40th

I am pleased to read the review you have posted, and I am sure that other TripAdvisor readers will do so as well. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

Copenhagen like many big cities, can be a challenge when it comes to dining. We are blessed with a number of fantastic restaurants in the immediate vicinity - from simple danish to Michelin starred.

Your advice to other readers with regards to expanding their scope to include greater Copenhagen is great, in that many forget about the gems that are to be seen and stick to the city center.

The compliments that you pay myself and my staff, as well as our product, cements our beliefs that we are on the right track.

Have a pleasant summer.

Nikolas HALL - owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Went with my better half on our first trip to Copenhagen. Lovely hosts and excellent service. Breakfast was yummy. Location was great. Recommend to hire couple of bicycles and cycle around Copenhagen. After a long ride, you can escape back to this beautiful Sanctuary and enjoy a glass of wine in their beautiful lounge. Only criticism that rooms are on the small side but it doesn't feel cramped. Will be back whenever I visit Copenhagen.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Jamie_tours

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. Like so many before you, you really seem to appreciate the ambience we have created, and our style of good old fashioned hospitality.

It would be the greatest compliment to welcome you back.

Wishing you a fantastic summer.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Out bed eas a bit wonky sloping to one side in our room and the shower was not fantastic but otherwise a great little hotel. A friendly owner who was very happy to help us with everything and a fabulous breakfast spread on offer. Would stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2013
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Skramit

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that your overall impression of our facilities and services was positive. I am sure that other TripAdvisor readers will appreciate your honest feedback.

Have a great summer and we hope to be able to welcome you again on your next to Copenhagen,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here over two nights as I was celebrating my birthday in Copenhagen. From the moment we arrived at the hotel, Nicholas (aka Mr Charming) was funny, cheeky, helpful and a little bit ornery. We knew it was going to be a special stay when we met him! A friend had flown over from London to stay here too - she loved her room with the big windows and claw foot bathtub. Our room had a balcony overlooking a courtyard and tiled rooftops, a gorgeous four poster bed with divine linen and the best bathroom we experienced in our Scandinavian adventure. The luxe organic bath products are such a far cry from the usual soap dispenser combo gel that we showered at twice a day! Breakfast was very good (but we found that about most every Scandinavian hotel) and the cowhide chairs off reception were a great place to relax and drink coffee. The hotel has a charming dragonfly motif throughout and they are committed to being as eco-friendly as possible. I would recommend this hotel for couples and singles alike. The #6 bus stops right outside the hotel and there is a supermarket and laundry within two blocks. Lots of cafes and boutique shops are nearby - it may be a little away from the city centre (and resulting tourists) but you can walk there in 20 minutes and the neighbourhood gives you a much more realistic sense of how the locals live. Don't hesitate - stay here on your next trip to Copenhagen and you'll love it. We did! And thanks Nicholas you made us laugh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear DaisyFire

I had to smile when I read this review, and I am sure that other TripAdvisor users will do so as well.

I am pleased to learn that you understood the dry danish humor, and that you all managed to have a great trip and celebration in Copenhagen.

Thanks for staying and see you next year for your..... hmmmm.... I promised I would not reveal your age.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is not your ordinary chain hotel. It's not even your ordinary botique hotel.

We had a lovely three night stay at Bertrams Hotel in June 2013. The staff were friendly and the rooms gorgeous. Nothing looked like the ordinary polished impersonal chain hotel, everything actually had a nice feeling to it. Our room actually looked like it could actually be in someone's home. The same feeling came back in the breakfast room – you actually have breakfast in a nice, big kitchen. And for the breakfast buffet, all praises. Wonderful options, that you, again, won't see in most hotels. Everything organic and really tasty.

A really good choice for those of you searching for something else than the regular "polished chain" hotel feeling. Well worth every Danish krone!

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear augustekman

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Myself and my staff appreciate the praise you give us, and consider it all in a days work and part of our concept of good old fashioned hospitality.

I am sure that other TripAdvisor users will value your review.

Have a great summer

Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel bia tripadvisor, and I must admit, it's a charm.
Very friendly staff at checkin and breakfast.
Very nice room, clean, nice details, very charming.
Bathroom was a little small, but it was very clean and everyting worked just fine.
Breakfast was superb! Maybe €18 euro is s little bit too much, but since we are in Denmark it's not too expensive for what you get.
5 stars!
Normally I don't give 5 stars if the shower has a showercurtain, but in this case i gladly make an exception!!
And don't be fooled.... It's a 20 minute walk to central station and 15 minutes more to downtown Strøget (shopping street) and 30 mimutes to main attractions.
But, a bus stop is right outside hotel entrance.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear m1st3ryGu3st

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us, I am sure that other TripAdvisor users will find it helpful.

Secondly, thank you for highlighting our location. We are not a city center property, but are just of center - 1,2 kilometers to be exact. Many of our guests appreciate this, as we are located in residential Copenhagen, which entails getting the local feel of the city.

Have a great summer

Nikolas HALL - Owner

Been to Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen? Share your experiences!