“Great time in danish design” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Alexandra

You added Hotel Alexandra to your Saves list
Hotel Alexandra
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   H.C. Andersens Boulevard 8, Copenhagen 1553, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Ranked #13 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersGold level
Regensburg
“Great time in danish design”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Very friendly staff, grat breakfast.
Great locations, in the city center. Located next to a big street with a lot of travic, while the windows are closed, it is not to loud. But if possible ask for a room to the court yard.

We had a great time and would choose the hotel again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I was another that got sucked into the idea of this Hotel as I have a great love of Scandinavian design and wanted to be 'amongst it'. After traveling for several weeks on my honeymoon I have got to know what to expect from hotels when you are paying a premium, and an Internet service is one of them.

On arrival they informed me that the only Internet service was 'paid for', and when they said 'paid' they really meant it. 125 of the local currency, approximately $25USD for 24 hours. When I scoffed at the idea of paying for it on top of the room cost the reception staff said "everything in Denmark is expensive". They do offer wireless in the lobby through a free provider and an Internet terminal which is where I am writing this, but I would hardly call it's performance stellar.

After frustration with the lobby Internet, I decided to yield and pay the Internet tax to have access from my room (I was queried multiple times by Hotel staff why I was hanging around the lobby as I obviously wasn't dressed up enough to use the wireless). After connecting and getting online I was astonished that they could call the connection broadband. 2mbit down.. get ready for it.. 0.06mbit upload.. yes, oh point oh six. So sending photos to relatives at ~5k/sec is what you get for your $25.00. I contacted reception and told them how entirely useless the Internet situation was in the Hotel and after some convincing and fulfilling their request to unplug and plug it in again they conceded and assured me it wouldn't be added to my bill. This is atrocious for a Hotel in a capital city.. I feel sorry for any business travelers (which I usually am) trying to use the Internet link for work.

I also want to echo the sentiments of another review on here. The key policy is strange, and does feel extremely insecure. The key bucket in the foyer usually has 5 or 6 keys in it before anyone bothers to empty it so it would be very easy for someone else to pick up a key when they are dropping their own in the bucket. Anyone can also walk in off the street and request a room nuber and the keys are handed out like candy. To combat this I ended up taking the key with me everywhere I went, much to the receptions frustration.

So to make it short and sweet, if you don't want Internet services.. the hotel may be alright (they do have a few collector chairs you can appreciate). If you are young, have money and expect Internet services when you pay a premium look elsewhere.. this hotel is to cater for the oldies which is quickly apparent by the tone used by the staff when speaking to 'younger' patrons.

P.S. I'd happily upload a photo (I have a stack of the furniture) if the broadband was actually fast enough to handle it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Århus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I have stayed at the Hotel several times. It is always a pleasure - service minded people who always welcomes you with a smile. Nice rooms and cozy atmosphere.
I like the place and can give it my best recommendations

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We arrived at midnight having flown from Paris and were afraid that we would get inferior service. We couldn't have been more wrong. The desk was manned by a delightful young German fellow speaking impeccable English who made us very welcome. We checked our email at the computer in the lobby while enjoying a Carlsburg beer available at the desk before retiring. Our room was just as advertised, with a nice live plant in the double window sill. We booked this on Agoda.com that I found on Kayak.com for about $144, a lot better than the $200 plus at comparable hotels. So the breakfast staff doesn't speak English, no problem for us. Just across the street is a huge bus stop which allowed other guest to take their luggage straight to the cruise ship that we were sailing on. Be careful though there are two ports now and be sure to get on the bus that takes you to the new port if that is where you are going. The driver even took American dollars. I give this hotel a five star rating on charm and cleanliness.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Browsing Hotel Alexandra gave us a good idea of what the hotel claimed to offer guests, but in all fairness, the website really cannot come close to describing the excellent service, decor and standard of cleanliness at the hotel itself.

This modestly sized hotel must be Copenhagen's best kept secret and offers a standard of service above and beyond what we have met in other more internationally aclaimed hotels in Copenhagen.

The retro styling of the hotel was a treat to behold. The Hotel Alexandra website goes into great detail as to the history of the furniture in the hotel. While a lot of the pieces are collectables, we didn't feel we were staying in an exhibit. Hotel Alexandra exudes a feeling of warmth and friendliness, a kind of relaxed class. Real style.

We had chosen a basic room but we found it to be luxurious and spacious enough to feel like we were treating ourselves. A peek into the larger rooms and suites proved that Hotel Alexandra keeps an exactingly high standard of cleanliness throughout.

The buffet breakfast included in our price was very well planned and we had a lot of choice. All foods were fresh and nicely presented. This buffet breakfast was a cut above the usual buffet breakfast one finds in Copenhagen, with lots of special additions and a great selection. The coffee was brewed to perfection. The decor and ambience of the dining area (The Bistro) was perfect for a leisurely breakfast. We could listen to the gentle tinkle of an unobtrusive jazz music and watch the world go by through the windows of the bistro that look out onto the street.

The evening menu at the Bistro of Hotel Alexandra is top class. Prices are what you would expect for a high quality eaterie, with a round of desert and coffee for three people costing over 400 kroner, but the price was well worth it. The serving staff in the bistro were approachable and efficient. Everywhere in the Bistro was spotlessly clean.

The price of our stay at Hotel Alexandra for two nights was very reasonable and beat many of the competition. It would be worth paying slightly more than the cheaper hotels ask to experience the delight that is a stay at the Alexandra. Hotel Alexandra is an environment friendly hotel and we were offered a discount for deferring the maid service if we were staying for more than one night.

We left the Alexandra for the next leg of our trip feeling sure that we would return again, and that we probably wouldn't want to experiment with another hotel in Copenhagen, since we had a faultless experience.

Swiss
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

The hotel is very nice. It is in the centre of Copenhagen, near the downtown and near the central station. All facilities are near in a walking distance.
The service is super, with very nice, friendly and kind receptionists who will help you in every situation to find what you need in Copenhagen.
I had a single room, clean, with TV, and bathroom. All was confortable. Moreover, the danish breakfast offered is very good and aboundant. Also the restaurant offer few but delicious dishes.
I recommend this hotel to everybody.

Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Service reception: Excellent - felt very welcome when we arrived :-)
Service restaurant (at breakfast) The staff wasn't very "happy" - not smiling at all..
Missed that little "good morning", and a litle smile..
The breakfast was okey, even my daugther (17) felt satisfied :-)
The room was okey, trafical noise from road outside - but still, okey (we're in a big city)
Over all, I like to come back sometimes, an will recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Alexandra? Share your experiences!