“Uninspiring” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Krystalgade 22, Copenhagen 1172, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Ranked #41 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“Uninspiring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are small, with no luxuries or niceties. Clinical, characterless and utilitarian. But clean. Breakfast was a bun-fight with tables not set or cleared. Tables dirty. Again, basic and utilitarian, find your own cutlery etc. The whole approach designed to save costs rather than provide an engaging or memorable experience. Lifts slow and diddly with unreliable room key card. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. In summary - great location, good staff, clinical uninspiring concept.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Given the limited range of hotel choices in Copenhagen, we opted to stay here for the second time, having stayed a year ago without incident. I chose this hotel in part because they are a member of the Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) program, of which I am a Platinum member. Our group had a total of four rooms booked with staggered arrival dates. I was the first to arrive and, upon check in, I was tersely informed that the hotel no longer participated in the GHA program and that I would therefore not receive any benefits as a result of my status (see my photos of the massive GHA sign that was displayed in their lobby as well as the bronze Global Hotel Alliance sign on their front door). I was then informed that the hotel was in the midst of changing brands and that they "weren't sure" if they were still a part of the First Hotel chain (it's worth noting that First Hotel branding appeared everywhere from the sign on the front of the hotel, to the room keys, to countless branded items in the rooms). After arguing with the check in agent about whether breakfast was included in my rate (it was), he eventually acquiesced. Not a fun start to a hotel stay after a nine hour flight.

Not having received an upgrade as I had the previous year, I found my room to be small, in poor condition, and not clean. Huge "dust bunnies" were visible between the two mattresses that were pushed together to make the double bed. Dust and skin cells were also visible between the bed and the headboard. Furniture was generally in rough shape, a window in one of my rooms was cracked, and the bathroom seemed musty.

A member of our group arrived a day after me and, after booking and pre-paying for a junior suite, was informed that they had given his room away and that he would receive a regular room. They offered him no compensation. I called down and objected to the manager on duty and, after a lengthy and unpleasant back and forth dialogue, he offered to upgrade my friend to a junior suite the following day and, following my friend's departure a few days after that, he said I would be permitted to take the larger room for the extra night that I would be staying. After my friend checked out, I called the front desk to ask about being moved to the larger room and an unpleasant manager on duty informed me that I would have to pay a charge of DKK 800.00 (approx. $150) for the upgrade. When I explained that the upgrade had been offered to me by her colleague as a goodwill gesture, she initially suggested that she didn't believe me and then offered to call me back. She called me back a few minutes later and said she had spoken with her colleague and he had indicated to that I hadn't accepted the offer so it would not be possible to move me without charging the upgrade fee. By then, the experience was bordering on the absurd. These types of frustrating exchanges with management continued for the duration of the stay, but I did eventually receive the upgrade and was not charged.

I was left with the overall impression that the hotel was suffering from a serious management vacuum and that the changeover from First Hotels / GHA to whatever brand they will become was poorly planned and even more poorly executed. To their credit, at check out, the original manager who offered to give me the larger room recognized me and offered to reverse some bar charges from my folio, which I appreciated, but I will still not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The room has a comfortable bed. The room is not large nor unpleasant . however, it is nothing you would want to hang out in. The decor is not nice. There is no character. i i cannot imagine who wrote the reviews that this place is chic. the floors in the rooms are yellowed old cheap oak. however, there are nice big windows on the seventh floor so it is airy.The coverlets are white and are clean. Do not expect any amenties such as Kleenex which i take for granted, i suppose. It is not up to the standards of even a 3 star hotel. If this were half the price I would think it worth it.
Lobby is dark and has cheap ceramic tile and there is no furniture other than one long black sofa, (which may seat 8, )and one black rug which is askew. most train stations have more character. You have to stand in the dark with No place to sit, or read. I love minimalism but this place is just ugly. Going up in the elevator you would think you were in a slum.
This place is so lacking in design and charm and really needs a redo. The architecture has potential and a good designer can save the space with some art, color, furniture, lighting etc.
The pillows are tiny like little throw pillows. They brought us up 4 more instantly. The bed is decent, and this one is not stinky.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stay 2 night over the weekend.
Checkin was a breeze easy quick and no hassle.
Room on the 6th floor over looking the street below and a block of flats opposite.
Room 1st impression clean / minimalistic, no WOW factor to it.
Bathroom again minimalistic black and very clinically white ( almost bringing back memories of my childhood hospital visits ), bath had a shower but no curtain so the floor was very wet after a shower, for the entire stay I had only a hand toel and a towel next to the basin ( which has a hole in it which I have a pic of ) but no bath towel however a colleague in the same hotel did have 3towels including a bath towel.
On the saturday there was a wedding so hotel was pretty busy.
On the Sunday had to leave at 6.30am to get to the airport and as the hotel breakfast only starts at 7am we lost our DKK250.00 for the breakfast which was pre paid and not included in the room cost.
Sunday evening as we arrived late back from our VERY long day, to the hotel at approx 22:30 we decided to have room service the menu again VERY limited on offer and after several unanswered calls to room service I resorted to go and get a Shawarma from walking street.

On the whole I would not reccomend the hotel and would definitely not go back to stay.

HH - London

Room Tip: Make sure everyone get a bath towel atleast, I had to resort to my towel by the basin and the bath r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast was great because the breads, jam, blue cheese and sausage with mustard were scrumptious. Not huge choices but was included in the $250 rate and the cappuccino automatic machines were actually very good.

Room overlooking the lobby that anyone could look into it when using the open lobby stairs - and did. Had to close the curtains which left it rather dark and gloomy.

Lobby is with very little seating so lots if standing around. No where to meet people in that regard. Hotel bar is ok but furniture is worn,

Business center was closed entire 8 day stay and for foreseeable future and wifi was but on slow side requiring constant re-entry of code - not business friendly.

Location ok but several hotels are in the area so I don't get it - the rave reviews about this place. Wasn't terrible by any means but simply wasn't clise to 5 star.

Super famous star stayed during our stay - Justin Beever gf - sat next to her for breakfast. That was amusing, more so for her.

• Stayed August 2013
Vih
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The service I received at this hotel was absolutely incredible!! They helped me with some business documents by faxing them for me and offered even more help after.
The hotel is very clean, has a great ambiance and is comfortable. The locations is also perfect for visiting Copenhagen!
Wonderful!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Divonne-les-Bains, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

3 rooms booked. Arrived at 23:00: no room left. Reception proposed the presidential suite. 2 side beds were put, breaking the back of two of my colleagues. Cleaness is limited: stains in the bathroom as an example. Second night : we had our single rooms: very very small for one and windowless for the other. And that for 300€ per room: only good point: the breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Skt. Petri? Share your experiences!