“Excellent front desk support” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Sydhavnen

You added Scandic Sydhavnen to your Saves list
Scandic Sydhavnen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sydhavns Plads 15, Copenhagen DK-2450, Denmark (Formerly Scandic Hotel Sydhavnen) (Sydhavnens)   |
Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“Excellent front desk support”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I lost my phone and the three girls at the reception really stood up and helped me out. This was extraordinary customer support! This service makes me wishing to come back. So the next time I wil really concider this hotel over the Scandics in the city center

• Stayed June 2013
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear eihagen,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review regarding your stay here at Scandic Sydhavnen.
Reviews always helps us to notice things and services that we can improve and become better at.

I am very happy to hear that you had exellent support from our front desk staff when having lost your phone.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back here at Scandic Sydhavnen again another time

Camilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for a few days on a business trip.

It's about 10kms from the airport, so not a bad choice if you need to get to Copenhagen for a few days of business and then quickly get to the airport again.

The staff is friendly (in the Nordics, this is extra, even if in Denmark the atmosphere may be more positive than in other countries in the region). Check-in went easily, though the first room I got had no electricity -this was fixed quickly, but imagine if it would've been fully booked (as it happens in Copenhagen)... My second room was fine.

I got a room in the "new building", meaning a longer walk from the reception but a much newer room. This is what one could call typical scandinavian design: not many niceties, just the bare minimum, but in good quality.

In my "deluxe" room I barely had space for a few shirts in my "wardrobe" (which cannot be closed, in reality just two holes on the two sides of a wooden "box"). There was only one phone, with zero instructions (a tiny one on the wall above the desk, nothing next to the bed), couldn't call the reception by 0 or 1 so gave up and just walked there. There's no minibar, just a 24/7 small shop-like corner at the reception area -better prices and selection than a minibar for sure, still I would've liked to have the choice to just grab something without the walk... There was no complimentary water (though the tap water is fine to drink).

The bed was OK, the pillows are the usual, small and a bit too soft hotel variant. The AC worked fine, no strange noises. Setting it on automatic seems to mean that it runs on maximum all the time when it's on. The bathroom is OK but that's all. No shaving mirror and on the first day I had only 2 towels, one small and one big (got one more small after the first cleaning). The soap dispenser things are a bit overdesigned, it's easier to just open them and push the button below their cover directly to get more soap.

On one side of the hotel there's a huge construction site, if you want to look out of your window and see anything else than that, ask for a room that looks somewhere else.

The internet connection and the breakfast are both OK -nothing special or better, but not worse than any other hotel service that you'd expect from a place like this.

The food on the menu is a bit limited, but what is there is good, I tried a few things and everything was just fine.

The conference facilities are bigger and better than average, well-equipped and nice.

The bottomline: this hotel is the definition of nothing special. Usual Scandic environment, with a few small issues, but none of these are serious enough that should stop you from choosing this place if it comes at a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks at something else than the construction site.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear nOrdicguy,

I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly,that our room was in good quality, and we had nice conference facilities and good food in our restaurant.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Scandic Sydhavnen again another time

Belleville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

After a long flight with no sleep, we were exhausted when we arrived at the hotel . We had had problems with our car rental and had misplaced our check in papers. The staff checked us in and we settled in our room. Then I tried to use my nebulizer and it started smoking and blew the fuse. The staff responded quickly, brought us a fruit plate to make us feel better, and then one of the staff members went to the hospital and brought back a nebulizer for me to use while in Denmark. We had a lovely supper at the hotel, slept well and enjoyed the breakfast buffet. While my niece and daughter went on a tour of Copenhagen, the staff tried to find us a automatic car we could rent. While I waited it was nice to be able to use the computers to contact friends and family to tell them we had arrived safely. I will be telling everyone that I know who is headed for Copenhagen to stay at this hotel. If I ever get the chance to go back, I know that this is the hotel that I will choose. Thanks to the staff for the great visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Patricia S,

I am very happy to hear that our staff was able to help you and made sure you had a nice stay here in Denmark and that you enjoyed you stay here in Scandic Sydhavnen.

Sunderland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Came here for a conference. Given the booking site facilities - brought my wife and young child.

The hotel is situated out of town - not that much of a problem. There is a train station about 10 mins walk away and it is about 24k to get into the city centre - likely less to get to the shopping mall that is @20 mins walk away down the main street. Both are cheaper to eat and drink than the hotel - but you've got the walk/train fare there and back. Taxis are very expensive.

That said, the food and drink at the hotel are marvelous - delicious, plentiful. Sometimes not quite enough staff and service is slow: but it is very friendly. Just expensive. Choose the breakfast option if there is an option - great value for money, plentiful and tasty.

Now I booked a suite room. Turned out to be on the 5th floor. Gorgeous room - kitchen, balcony, chairs, comfortable bed. Wine, fruit... Wardrobe space. acceptable bathroom. But no aircon. As an east facing room when it gets the sun it gets incredibly warm - uncomfortably so - windows open to no effect. With a small child despite the lovely surroundings, had to move - the only way to get airflow was to open the door to the hallway (not good).

We did change rooms. We moved to an "upgrade" - which was an executive room. While cost wise it might have been an upgrade, for a family with a small child - rubbish. No fridge, no cupboard space. But it did have aircon. So we stayed.

This must have happened before - a portable aircon unit ..or a fan could have solved the problem. Neither available.

The gym is good. The conference facilities are excellent (from an attendee point of view). The staff are very helpful (if they have the resources)

That said, I've marked it down to average simply because I went specifically for the family room and without aircon, it was a nightmare when sunny. And my "upgrade" wasn't because (I think) some rooms don't have aircon.

Near the hotel are supermarkets, pizza and kebab shops - not a lot to be honest - get on the train and go to the neaby mall or the city

It was a nice hotel, But unless you have to stay here - I'd have to say pick somewhere else nearer the city. I wouldn't not recommend Scandic - the ethos of the hotel, the staff attitude was good - just my experience with the rooms was so poor and its that experience that degrades this review.

Room Tip: don't chose 5th floor rooms when sunshine might be possible
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear andymwood,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review regarding your stay here at Scandic Sydhavnen, these always helps us to notice some of the things we can imrpove.

All our rooms has aircondition and I am very sorry to hear that you got a room where it did not work, and that you where not offered to borrow a fan if that was what you would have prefered instead of an upgrade to a mastersuite.

I am very happy to hear that you liked our food, our rooms and gym.

Wuppertal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having been their for business reasons I slept there only for two nights and for not much longer it would be okay again.
The hotel is situated outside the centre of C´hagen. Reportedly it is conveniently connected to the centre by public transportation. There is no reason to walk around in the evening their. You either drive into the city or you just stay there.
For that reason the restaurant is of major importance. From the menu it looked promising, yet the results where a bit disappointing regarding taste, quantity versus price.
Things brightened up the next morning when the breafast showed up being nicely presented in a more than sufficent selection. Scandic assures a good start into a busy day.
The room was generally good. Not too large, but large enough and well layed out in a typically scandinavian style. Only the floorer should be better selected next time. The genuine parquet floor was a bit worn and still a redo would not be enough as there where large gaps between the panels already. And probably the same persons did the carpeting in the aisles as well. The carpet threw dangerous waves! The room itself was clean.
WLan was avaiable for free and offered a good speed.
On the upside I would like to mention the personel which makes the most important impression. They are competent, very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Supersupergrobi,

I
Thank you very much for the nice words regarding our staff, that was very nice to hear.

Vilnius, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel situated somehow little away from Copenhagen center, while it's still in the city. To get in by public transport, you need to use central train station as transfer point, as no direct metro line. Relatively new and modern style ( compare to some other CPH hotels ), it shall be a good value for both business and family trips.
Positive: clean, spacious rooms; large parking area; 3 PC stations in lobby for free use; children corner outdoor ( mini-golf, playground, outdoor giant chess ); small "emergency" shop - as everywhere in scandics; very polite and fast staff and reception; as they advertise - breakfast is always included; inner yard by lobby and restaurant - nice place to chill out outside
Negative: quite budget breakfast options ( compare to other scandics ); shower done in traditional nordic style - only curtains - so the floor is always very wet after shower; while reception ladies was very polite and efficient, it took a time to attract bartender attention, while he was joking with local bar-flies, however afterwards it went smoothly;

Overall very decent hotel in list of Copenhagen hotels. I would recomend it for others, however myself would prefare something closer to city center to make commuting easier ( taxi from Gamel strand area to hotel - appr. 110 DKK, taxi from hotel to CPH T3 - 215 DKK ).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Ekspertas,

I am happy to hear that you found our room clean and spacious, and liked our large parking area; 3 PC stations in lobby for free use; children corner outdoor ( mini-golf, playground, outdoor giant chess ) and our shop and place to relax outside and of course that you found our staff at the reception very polite and fast.

Coventry, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the Scandic for three nights whilst on Business. It was only a short walk from the office, hence the reservation. Not a lot to do in the immediate area, but there is a train stop a couple of minutes walk away, and from there its just a short journey to the centre. Good buffet style breakfast with choice of hot and cold food.
There is a small gym on the fifth floor, looking out over a building site. I chose to ditch the gym and went running outside, just watch out for the bikes as well as cars when crossing the roads !!
In the reception area there is a small self serve area for sweets, chocs, hot and cold drinks etc., and toiletries if you need any.
Food in the restaurant was very nice. Beer is expensive (As are most things) in Copenhagen, wine in the hotel was very expensive.
My only criticism would be that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
If you are staying for more than a few days a hotel in the centre may be a better bet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear TonyCoventry,

I am happy to hear that you liked our buffet style breakfast with choice of hot and cold food and liked the food in the restaurant.

We do have coffee/tea making facilites in all our superior rooms

Camilla

Been to Scandic Sydhavnen? Share your experiences!