“Great little museum” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The David Collection

The David Collection
Kronprinsessegade 30-32, Copenhagen 1306 , Denmark (Indre By)
33-73-49-49
Belfast, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Great little museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Very good collection with great exhibitions. The location is also excellent, near the Statens Museum, so it is very easy to do both at the same time.

Visited January 2012

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aarhus, Denmark
“Interesting Small Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Newly restored museum - great lighting of artifacts. Interesting stories. I believe they have free entrance every day - but is closed on mondays.

Visited September 2012
Genoa, Italy
219 attraction reviews
“Astonishing!-Thanks TA Reviewers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I’ve been to Copenhagen several times in the past and I usually return to my favorite places (Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek Museum) but I was looking for something different to do on this short weekend visit. After consulting TA, I settled on the Davids Samling Museum or the David Collection, which I had never heard of.

The museum is just across from the park at Rosenborg Castle, an easy walk from the city center. Like other reviewers, I was absolutely amazed by this museum which is in his private home and privately funded thus free admission. The museum contains European 18th century Art which is displayed in the original rooms on the first two floors, a collection of Danish Early Modern Art and a massive collection of Islamic Art. I have never seen a more richly displayed collection, each item presented beautifully, in beautiful room after room of creatively displayed panels, painting, tiles, miniature paintings, calligraphy, ceramics, coins, textiles….just amazing! I had planned about an hour there; not enough time even to get just a vague idea of the importance of this comprehensive collection. I also had my husband with me, who isn’t a fan of museums and is a “drive by” participant, so my time was limited, but I was surprised, how taken he was by the way each item was so carefully displayed in such beautiful surroundings. We loved it!

The museum is closed on Monday and each day the opening hours are different, so check carefully. All belongings must be left in the lockers in the cloakroom and require 1eu or 10 DKK, coin which you receive back! Pictures without flash are permitted, but when I wasn’t taking pictures the camera had to go into a see through plastic bag or my pocket! They offer free guided tours on Wed/Sat/Sun in the “spring and autumn”-check online. Yes! Get the audio guide; there is limited information in other languages other than Danish. I really enjoyed this museum; it’s not the kind of art I usually like, but I was completely won over and would love to return again when I can spend more time and learn more about Islamic Art.

Visited September 2012
London
12 attraction reviews
“breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The most amazing collection of pricless Islamic art : jewelry, clothes , gems, books , fabrics all exquisitetly presented in a gorgeous old private home by Rosenberg park ,which also has traditional 19th century rooms filled with rare china and first rate Danish art ...much better than the National Gallery! .. world class and free entry!!

Visited August 2012
UK
11 attraction reviews
“Don't miss The David Collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This museum has an amazing collection of islamic art, well displayed though all in Danish. The staff are friendly (not that common in Copenhagen in my limited experience!) and we were free to wander the museum at will once we had checked all our possessions into a locker. It's more like being in a home than a museum which adds to the atmosphere. I can't imagine that anyone would not find some objects to fascinate them here and in particular the glass, ceramics and textiles were impressive in their age and range and quality. There is also a small collection of paintings by Hammershoi, a little known Danish artist whose work is simplicity itself. The museum is free which was a surprise. I'd go back for another visit because it's hard to take it all in. Like the V and A in London it's best to dip in whenever you can.

Visited August 2012