“Scandinavian style fine dining at its...well, finest” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Scandinavian style fine dining at its...well, finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had a divine 5 dish tasting menu here on Friday, March 8th. From scallops via lump fish and beets to super slow cooked beef, the starters and mains were unbelievably tasty and with that rustic look that Scandinavian cuisine has become so famous for.

We opted for the wine pairing, and were treated to an oenophilic trip through relatively undiscovered European wine regions. Although not inexpensive, the wine servings were large, and we were left with several glasses at the end of the meal. Had there been an option of a smaller wine serving, I would have chosen it.

Service was attentive, polite and friendly enough to be comfortable, yet not intrusive. As we were there on a Friday night, the restaurant was fully booked and busy. This did not in any way detract from the service, though it did mean that the noise level was rather high.

The restaurant itself is 'hyggelig' ('cosy') and informal, with small tables and chairs relatively close together. The food really takes centre stage, in a relaxed and laid-back attitude.

Compared to fine dining restaurants around the world, Restaurant Radio provides very good value for money. I would recommend it very highly, and hope to go back again soon.

• Visited March 2013

Derbyshire
“Faultless from beginning to end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had Saturday lunch here, arriving at noon to be sure of a table, though it surprisingly didn't get more than a third full right through to when we left at 2pm - I'm sure its a lot busier most evenings. They do what seems to be the Copenhagen 'thing' of a number of small dishes all at exactly the same price, and you choose as many as you want. At lunchtime it is even easier - there are just five dishes in total, all of which you can have for 400kr, or if you want less they're 100kr each. We took the lot; my recollection of the menu descriptions being - turbot with charred spring onions and roe sauce; squid with rehydrated potatoes and cheese foam; chicken with a prune and smoked marrow sauce and beetroot shavings, a cows' milk cheese with pureed quince; and finally caramelised white chocolate crumble ice cream with caramel cracknel, syrup and wafers. The brown sourdough bread with caramelised onion butter was sensational too; plus you get a couple of amuse-bouches to start off. They will happily recommend a wine for each course and this commendably also works on a fixed price whatever wine they suggest (though at 85kr a glass they aren't giving it away). Our waitress was really friendly, knowledgeable and attentive throughout, and we couldn't believe that there were so few people in here. Made up for not getting that 'cancellation booking' call from Noma !

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lausanne, Switzerland
“What an experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Eating at Restaurant Radio was the first thing we did after arriving in Copenhagen. And we didn't want to go back. The staff is super friendly, with a perfectly timed service. The food is really creative and incredibly delicious. And all this happens in a cosy and casual atmosphere. I simply loved it, and would go again without hesitation!

• Visited February 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The place is simply but nicely decorated. Unfortunately as almost everywhere in Cph, the acoustic is terrible so the noise level is a huge disturbance, Danes have the tendency to speak extremely loudly especially after some drinks.
I had dinner there with two chefs and I’m myself a good cook, so we decided to have the complete menu and the menu of the day plus the wine menu going with as we wanted to taste everything.
The food tasted really good, fine quality and presentation, all the dishes were excellent and the coffee was really good too. The service was efficient, though our waiter spilled wine or water each time he poured us a glass, not so good, and he was a bit rude in his manners, talking a bit down to me especially. The others were fine and nice.
The bill was quite high at the end but it was worth the experience. Definitely a place to discover.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Tasting Extraordinaire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've just got back from my meal at Restaurant Radio and I'm itching to sing from the rooftop about it. However, sense has taken a hold and I've resorted to frantically typing away on my laptop instead.

In the kitchen of this tiny restaurant they create, no, craft a selection of perfectly balanced meals with bursting flavours and textures that surprise you with every bite. I went for the 5 course tasting menu without wine (some people have to work the next day, boohoo) and I decided to pass on the juice matching. The courses included: pork (cooked at 69 degrees for hours), langoustine and salted cod however, the course that really blew me away was the desert. Quince with white chocolate, nuts, parsley and a sprinkle of fairy dust. I just wasn't expecting it and the first bite just blew me away.

The waitress serving us was very polite and did a great job listing the ingredients as well as how the dish was orchestrated. They were well staffed for such a small place and I think it really paid off and made it an enjoyable experience.

The atmosphere was very relaxing and comfortable, you could quite easily sit there and talk for hours.

Two special shout outs that are rather odd: 1) amazing crockery; 2) putting caramelised onion in butter is inspired and I'm definately going to give it a go myself one day.

Radio vs. Den Lile Fede. I'm not entirely sure who is the winner but Radio is a great restaurant in its own right.

If it wasn't for Trip Advisor I would never have found this place, so thank you to those who contribute and recommend gems like this.

• Visited January 2013