“A gem in the heart of Copenhagen!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Windsor

You added Hotel Windsor to your Saves list
Hotel Windsor
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Frederiksborggade 30, Copenhagen 1360, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Ranked #49 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A gem in the heart of Copenhagen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Well what can I say about this gem of a hotel. In a city where the cost of living is high, and the cost of hotels in particular, is extortionate! When looking for hotels I was unable to find anything below £130 that was 3 stars and close to the city centre. Then I came across this hotel, whilst the toilet and shower facilities were shared, the price was more acceptable, and this together with the very good reviews and extremely central location persuaded me to opt for this; I am so glad I did!
Upon booking, I received a very helpful and personal email from Gukki, the hotel manager, thanking me for the booking and advising me of directions to the hotel together with attached maps. As the reception at this particular hotel is only open until 3pm, the email advised that if arriving later I would need to pick up the keys from their sister hotel, hotel Jorgensen, a few minutes away and a map was provided showing the location of both hotels.
The email also helpfully stated that if I paid by Credit card, this would incur an extra charge.
On arrival, I went straight to Hotel Jorgensen as it was well past 3pm and this was very easy to find -being a 5 minute walk from Norreport Metro station. There I checked in, made payment, and the receptionist kindly gave me the keys and pointed out the Hotel Windor building from outside the hotel – which was only a 2 minute walk away.
The hotel is a black door from outside, but is easy to miss. You will notice the door is very heavy and secure, and shuts by itself after you.
Upon arriving in my room, I was greeted by a small single room, but one full of character and a very modern flat screen television! The room also had a spacious sink with space for toiletries, a chair and table, and a small wardrobe.
In addition to the toilet and 2 shower cubicles, there was also a large kitchen if needed. I always found the toilet and shower to be free whenever I needed one. From what I could make out, it was 5 rooms to 2 showers and 1 toilet, although I presume not all of these would have been single rooms.
The toilet was compact, and whilst clean, it always had a funny smell. The showers on the other hand were clean and didn’t smell.
You should note, that you must take your keys with you whenever you leave the room, as the door locks, especially when you go to shower, and especially if after 3 as you would then need to go across the road to get a spare key!
Delicious doesn’t even begin to describe the breakfast! Despite the hotel’s budget nature, the breakfast in comparison was very luxurious! My personal favourites were the freshly baked warm crusty rolls that were kept on rotation and were available in both white and wholegrain. These together with the unbelievably rich Danish cheese, wide selection of fresh and locally produced jams, marmalades and local Danish speciality spreads made breakfast one of the real highlights of my day.
For those who simply want to stick to typically English items, fear not, biscuits such as Digestives and white and brown toast were also aplenty. The coffee was very fresh and had a lovely rich taste. There were also a wide variety of teas to choose from for those tea drinkers out there.
As if the above was not enough, there were also some luxurious Danish chocolates on offer every morning, which tasted absolutely amazing and justified their undoubtly high cost.
Other key advantages include the free wifi, which was absolutely rapid for browsing and the hotel is just across the road from the world famous Israel plads building – so that is one of the sights just across the front door meaning you don’t have any further travelling to see this. Also across the road on the way to Hotel Jorgensen is a very historic splendid looking church which I strongly suggest you check out.

For those foodies out there, the hotel is just across the road from the most amazing fresh food market out there, selling fresh cheeses, fish, and coffee and pasteries. The produce is so good in fact, that they even do food tours where you can go around all the different stalls and sample various cheeses, chocolates etc.
The superb location also means you are walking distance from the main shopping street in Copenhagen, the Rosenborg Palace, the Round tower and there is a nice long manmade lake behind the hotel for a nice morning (or evening) walk.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the lower floors if possible so you don't have to take the stairs al...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

A reasonable hotel for the price asked. In a city with not that many budget options, Hotel Windsor offers an 'okay' quality in a very convenient location. If you don't mind climbing the stairs everyday, sharing the bathroom and having an unstable WiFi connection, this place will please you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is very close to city centre. Norreport station is only 50m away. It takes less than 20 minutes by train from the airport. The metro runs 24 hours a day.
Staff is very kind and helpful. I was put in a cosy and clean room with lots of natural light. Although I stayed street side it was not noisy at all. The toilet is a bit tiny and the showers are in a separte room. But I liked to have a hand basin in my room.
Breakfast was good. When I made my reservation I mentioned I have an allergy. They provided me with special food. I really appreciate it.

Overall a very positive experience.

There are lots of stairs. I would not recommend it if you do not walk very well or if you carry heavy luggage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We chose this hotel because of its location. It is an easy metro ride from the cruise terminal, and the metro stop is just a short block away from the hotel. You can get to the airport using the metro too. The metro is supposed to run 24 hours a day. However, it was shut down for a few hours due to maintenance when we were there and needing it to go to the airport!!! The hotel is also close to city center. The room was nothing to write home about. There were no elevators and several rooms had to share a bath room which was VERY tiny. The showers are in another room. The bed was comfortable and towels were provided. This may be a good value for a hotel in Copenhagen, but it was the most expensive of all the hotels we stayed in during our backpacking trip throughout Europe. I feel like I did not get my moneys worth here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Communication from hotel was good and we knew we had to pick key up from another hotel as we were arriving after 3pm. The walk is just across a market square and takes about 3 minutes. Steps up to room as others have mentioned. Room a good size, clean, with sink and lots of sockets. On same floor was one quite cramped toilet, and two showers in a separate room. The shower area is not gender separated, so getting out of shower to reach towel requires a bit of strategy! Breakfast was adequate with bread, meat, jam and cheese. Staff prepared to help and we were able to leave our bags in the other hotel to sightsee before our evening train. Location is excellent, very close to train/metro/suburban train stop where you can get to Malmo and Airport directly. This area is being renovated at the moment so is a bit confusing. The ticket machines for trains are on ground level before you go into station. The blinds were not very good and let in lots of light which may be annoying for some. 11am checkout is too early compared to most European hotels we stay in (in Malmo it was 6pm checkout which was wonderful!). There is wifi but we couldnt get it well from our room. They have a voucher to rent a bike from a bike place relatively nearby, we used it but wouldnt recommend as poor customer service and bikes can be rented for cheaper elsewhere. Be careful in Copenhagen about extra credit card fees for using a foreign card, we paid by cash at hotel so dont know if this is an issue there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is good value for money.
Very centrally located. 1 block from metro station (direct 15-20 minutes ride from airport). Most attractions are only short walk away. There is grocery store half a block away.
Hotel located in 3rd floor! They truly have huge very narrow flights of stairs. If you are staying for few days, I would recommend leaving baggage at train station or airport, and just grab essential things for that time. Staff is nice. Hotel is nice and clean. There is 1 bathroom and 1 shower room on the each floor. Internet connection was good. There is small fridge in the room. There is also sink in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Definitely A Great Value In A Very Expensive City. The Location Is Prefect And Within Walking Distance of All The Major Sights. Loved The Open Market Across The Street. We Actually Had Our Best Meal In Copenhagen At The Open Market (Smog). Can't Wait For Our Next visit. Lastly The Host Was Very Nice And Helpful.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!