“Great place to stayin Copenhagen!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Savoy Hotel

You added Savoy Hotel to your Saves list
Savoy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   VesterbroGade 34, Copenhagen 1620, Denmark (Vesterbro - Kongens Enghave)   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #22 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Virginia Beach, VA
“Great place to stayin Copenhagen!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I know there are some negative reviews and I can see where they are coming from if comparing to US properties but this is Europe and things are bit different. I would give facilities a 3 star rating. Breakfast and staff 5 stars. My wife would concur and her idea of camping is a Holiday Inn ( not a HD express mind you). Location, location, location , need I say more and a great restaurant next door. We booked a junior suite which was 2 rooms with full bath (shower) and a half bath. the whole suite was about. 25 sq meters total and had room number 311 which was great and paid about 795 total with taxes and breakfast included for 3 nights. We are early risers so the construction starting at 6:30 am was not a problem.Thank you the staff for your wonderful attitude and the ice 24 hrs a day.

Room Tip: Room 311 is a good choice
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Xphua23,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Savoy Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed the stay, and I will let all staff know that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to see you again in Copenhagen.

Christian Oxlund

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Media, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We only needed one night in the hotel, and for that it was fine. The room we had was teeny tiny, as a matter of fact, when we got into our cabin on the ship, we were astounded at how huge the cabin felt in contrast. But, for us the friendly helpful front desk was of greater importance than the size of the room, and the staff was really wonderful. One other consideration though was the construction right next to the hotel. The afternoon we were there it was very loud and not pleasant. The breakfast buffet was a real plus, a lot to choose from and everything was fresh and delicious.

The walk from the train station to the hotel with luggage was very doable- although it must have been 90 degrees on our arrival morning.

All in all the hotel served our purpose well.

Dear TravellerBER,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed the visit to Copenhagen, and also the stay with us.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Savoy Hotel again.

San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Alas we came from the best hotel in our Scandinavia trip to the worst. Don't let the picture of the exterior fool you. I have know idea how some of the reviews for Savoy were rated as positive. As soon as you walk through the front door, you can immediately see the poor up-keeping of this hotel, torn "leather" chairs, dirty walls, unfriendly atmosphere, unfriendly people. We were told we got "upgraded" to a nicer room. After getting into one barely working elevator that can barely fit two small people, we were shocked at what we saw was a "nicer" room. The room was as old as the building itself, probably 60+ years. We were afraid to tough the walls for fear of lead paint chipping off. There was no air-conditioning whatsoever (only heater). So it was stuffy and smelled of mildew. Opening the window there was loud construction going on next door. There was no shower curtain to the old tub so you wet all of the tiny bathroom when you take a shower. Breakfast, if they can call it that, had a few items and even those were not fit to feed a stray cat. Coffee was bitter and not consumable, "orange juice" was like Tang. This hotel reminded me of a nasty hotel we stayed in Amman Jordan, not as bad, but almost. The city of Copenhagen needs to condemn Savoy Hotel to be uninhabitable. Heed your fellow tripadvisor member advice and stay away from this hotel.

Dear VD Long,

Thank you for taking time to write a review.

Yes the hotel is more than 100 years old, but the rooms were refurbished two years ago.
And so was the lobby. Yes we are looking for new chairs for the lobby, but they do not come overnight.

I do not know which hotel you came from. But I do not feel that you respect the other reviews from guests that have enjoyed staying here!

We love to have happy guests, and we tend to go far in getting that. But I do not think that we would have been able to convert you into being a happy guest.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us.

Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is probably the first time I´ve been really disappointed by a hotel. I can´t for the life of me understand how this hotel can be rated #20 in Copenhagen.

To start off the room was tiny and worn out. Yes, European hotel rooms tend to be small but this felt more like a 1 star budget hotel than anything else. Same goes for the bathroom, the toilet wouldn´t even flush completely. Even the toilet paper was of the hard, cheap type! Not to mention the walls - they must have been made out of paper! We could hear everything going on both in our neighbors rooms and in the hallway. And if that wasn´t enough there was some major construction work going on next door and the workers there started as early as 6am, even during the weekend and on a public holiday. I know that this construction probably has got nothing to do with the hotel itself, but a heads up from the staff would have been nice since it was impossible not to be bothered by it. We ended up going to bed super early because we knew what was waiting for us the next morning - not really how you want your vacation to be.

The WiFi is also the worst we have ever encountered at a hotel. Two out of four devices couldn´t connect and the connection on the to devices that did connect was super slow and kept timing out.

But there are however a couple of pros with this hotel.

The location is great. Hovedbanegården (Copenhagen Central Station) and Tivoli is a 5 min walk away, add a couple of more minutes and you´ll be at Strøget. The area around the hotel offers a great deal of nice resturants and bars, and there is also some decent shopping nearby.

The staff in the reception were also welcoming and polite.

The hotel also offers free breakfast. However we opted for brekfast somewhere else to get away from the construction site.

Dispite this I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It may just ruin your stay in Copenhagen!

Room Tip: Avoid room 201 or the hotel in general!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear I.Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review although it is not a good one.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt your room is worn out and that it felt like a 1 star budget hotel.
Would you be so kind to send me the room number you had via my e-mail cox@savoyhotel.dk
I will have to have a look at the room to make sure it is up to standard. Also regarding the toilet not being able to flush.

Our toiletpaper is not the most expensive and thickest soft kind, but it is not the cheapest hard type either.

Regarding the wifi, we have had some problems, and for the time being it is working fine. I apologize for the inconvienence you had during your stay.

The construcion site is not the best neighbour to have, and I am glad they stop working by the end of June. They are not allowed to start working before 8.30, so 6 am is much to early.

I am glad about the pros you mention.

I look forward to hear from you, and do hope I am able to welcome you back again in the future.

Christian
Rancho Cucamonga, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

After reading some good reviews and doing our homework, we settled on this hotel for our Copenhagen vacation. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed.

Negatives:
1.) Service was mediocre. Depending on who is at the desk, you get different service and travel tips. One person in particular was very bad (a red headed young lady), she could have cared less whether you were there or not and at times I felt like we were bothering her. Yes, some desk workers were good but unfortunately too many bad experiences left us not wanting to return.
Also the housekeeper never came to our room. I am not exaggerating. Not once did a housekeeper come clean our room. The first time, no big deal. But by the third day you need more than just clean towels to keep your stay refreshed.

2.) Horrible internet. Yes we are on vacation and I am not here to watch movies. However, having internet is a great tool in order to research your spots/trips during your vacation and also keep in touch with friends/ family. The internet service was very bad and I was constantly asking every morning and night the staff to re-start the server. The internet is supposed to be included but I did not get my money's worth.

3.) Bad sleep. They put us in a room next to construction site. The workers were there at 7 AM pounding with heavy equipment. No chance of changing rooms and we were not happy.

Positives:
1.) Location. Walking distance to Tivoli, close to the main train station, and close to the Hop On/Hop Off bus site.
2.) Breakfast buffet. The buffet they provide is very good and would easily cost you $10-15 US dollars per person.

Bottom line: Cannot recommend this hotel at all and would have rather gone to a different hotel. If you are reading this review, please book your stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lionel86

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about my hotel.
Unfortunately it was not a good one.

I am very sorry to hear that the housekeeper did not come to your room. Would you please send me information about the room number? please send it via my e-mail cox@savoyhotel.dk, so I can talk to the housekeeper about this.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of service you experienced in the reception. It is vital to us that all our guests feel welcome and are happy to come forward for advice.

Our internet connection has not been working properly for a short period, and I assume that was unfortunately during your stay. It is good and stabile for the time being, so it seems to have passed by. We are looking into upgrading the system during the coming months.

Regarding the constructin site next door, I can only apologize on behalf of them. According to the Danish regulations, thay are allowed to start engine work just after 7 am. We do have an agreement with them, stating that they cannot start before 8.30 am. Some of the noise that you can hear in the rooms, it is not possible for us to hear in the reception. Therefore it might not have been obvious for us to go next door and ask them to stop.
The construction is finished in two weeks, by end of June!

I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, and that you enjoyed Copenhagen.

I hope to see you again in the Savoy Hotel, Copenhagen.

Punta Gorda, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

When you check in, they tell you that the hotel is 100 years old and the rooms are small. They are right on both counts. The rooms are tiny, really tiny. They have a charming little elevator that came with the original building; this in addition to the main elevator. The staff is very helpful, although one desk person didn't seem to know all of the services. Breakfast is the usual for Europe, so no complaints there. We had an early flight, before the dining room opens. The man at the desk called to ask when we would be down to check out so he could have some breakfast food brought for us. We appreciated that at 3:30 a.m. The location is a ten minute walk from the central station, Tivoli Gardens, and the main shopping/dining area.

Abijc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Recently stayed at The Savoy for a long weekend with 5 friends. Firstly it's in a great location, just a 5 minute walk from the station; also easy walking distance of Tivoli, great restaurants and bars, sightseeing buses and the centre of Copenhagen (everything is within easy walking distance!). Between us we had booked 3 rooms of different standards/sizes - my friend and I had booked a small room and it was very small but very clean, well equipped with tv, hairdryer, tea & coffee making facilities, safe, 2 comfy single beds and a small bathroom with shower. The breakfasts were great - continental but a great selection of fresh bread, pastries, cereals, boiled eggs, fruit, cold meats and cheeses, yogurt and various accompaniments. Kept us going to lunchtime! There is also free tea and coffee in the reception with complimentary fruit and Danish pastries. The staff were great and really helpful. Would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again if I'm lucky to visit Copenhagen again.

Room Tip: Worth getting an uograded room if you want some space, but if you just want somewhere to lay your he...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!