“Good location...only!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of CopenHagen Plaza

Save Saved
You added CopenHagen Plaza to your Saves list
CopenHagen Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   BernstorffsGade 4, Copenhagen 1577, Denmark (Vesterbro - Kongens Enghave)   |
Ranked #39 of 118 hotels in Copenhagen
Lisbon, Portugal
“Good location...only!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Last weekend i went to Copenhagen. After a terrible fight against the weather conditions, i went for the second time to Plaza. It's really an hotel with excellent location, near everything we want to explore in Copenhagen. But...
This hotel needs a lifting: services, rooms, confort...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

547 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Perhaps my expectations were too high?

In town for four days for work, I thought that putting myself next to the Kobenhavn Central station was both logistically smart (to get back and forth to work) and a fantastic base for exploring the city. I was right about the location--and you can't ask for better walking access to much of what is lovely about the city.

The bar is charming and the (included) continental breakfast is generous and tasty. Staff are largely professional and courteous.

I booked my flight at the same time as the hotel, so paid my room in full to the airline. Perhaps a mistake? It's hard to say for sure, but I was not impressed when the receptionist greeted my booking with "Oh, you've PREPAID your room with the airline?" I'm not sure what crime I committed, but I ended up in room 219--a room the size of a large closet, with a single bed and a view of the ventilation shaft. There was barely room to turn around in the bathroom.

Believing I'd booked at least a room with a double bed, I returned to reception to ask if I could move to a room with a larger bed. I was informed that I'd booked a "single" (an EU concept perhaps?) and there would be a substantial increase in the rate for a "double room". I said I didn't want a double room, just a larger bed, and after a minute of discussion, I finally said out loud that I travel often, and have rarely been less satisfied with a hotel room, and had no interest in paying more; that I was willing to take any other room at all in the same price point.

After a little effort, I ended up in room 612. This is a comfortable, reasonable sized room with a large bathroom is in the eaves, so has a bit of a slant, but is charming, overlooking the station. Perhaps ironic? There was a double bed with a single duvet and one pillow.

The room was very warm--almost sauna-like--when I walked in, so I turned the heat off and opened a window a bit. Unfortunately, even though I closed the window not long after, the heat never really came back to full strength, so I had a bit of a chilly night. I assumed I'd left the window open too long and blamed myself.

Returning late to the hotel after a second long day, I found the room chilly and immediately turned the heat up--only to find myself still shivering an hour later. I called to ask if there was a problem, but never heard back. Almost an hour later I called and asked if I could please at least have a second duvet. At 23:45 there was a knock at the door--and the receptionist informed me that the whole floor had no heat and they were working on it. Another chilly night--worse than the first.

Thankfully the problem was fixed on my last night.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this hotel, the staff are courteous and as others have indicated, the location alone is worth the cost--but there are a range of things that could be improved, from the shower doors being properly finished so the entire bathroom doesn't end up a puddle; to one additional pillow, duvet or towel being provided. The elevator was being repaired for most of my stay--making the staff/service elevator the only option. And frankly, if the heating isn't working at all, should I have to call down for an extra duvet when the temperature is hovering near 0*C?

I'd like to hope that the problems I had were one-off, but somehow, based on the range of reviews, I suspect they are not. It's too bad. There is real potential here.

Room Tip: Top floor is charming--esp facing the station. Perhaps ask when you check in what the room faces to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Killin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Absolutely awful,En suite smelly.Wallpaper peeling.tiny room for a triple room.Got room changed to 6th floor not much better.NotatLl 4 star,We stayed 3 nights only so was enough.Complained to staff,Charollota was to return call but have not heard!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at this Copenhagen hotel and overall the experience was good but with some disappointments for a 4 star hotel.

Good: the location is right across the street from the beautiful old train station so for day trips out to see sights using the train or for transportation to and from the airport it's literally a 2 minute walk. In addition, the hotel looks out on Tivoli Gardens which are directly across the street and it's only a 5 minute walk to City Hall and most of the central sites.

Bad: our Executive Upgrade room on the 5th floor was simply not up to European 4 star standards. There was mold in the bathroom (especially the shower curtain), weak water pressure for the shower, peeling wallpaper on the walls and tired old furniture in sitting area.

Good: At least the room on 5th floor was quiet and dark for sleeping, roomy, and had a nice balcony with views to Tivoli Gardens and train station.

Bad: The concierge was nice but simply not knowledgeable. For example, I knew from our guidebook that all the palaces except Fredericksborg were closed on Monday but he did not know this which is stunning. He provided incorrect information about local flea markets as well.

Good: Overall, the staff was warm, friendly, helpful (especially the front desk folks on check in and check out) and they strived to make experience a nice one.

Good: The buffet breakfast included with our rate was good and filling with large selection of breads, jams and meats.

So-so: The public areas of the hotel are ok but nothing special.

Good: The hotel bar (the Library) is excellent for a drink with dark wood paneling and candle lit tables.

Overall, we would consider staying here again but we would have to see the room first to make sure it was better maintained than our last room.

Room Tip: Our room on 5th floor had good views of city and was quiet and dark for sleeping. But, make sure yo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I booked this hotel for two stays the first one from Oct 28, 2013 till Nov 1st, 2013 then again from Nov 3rd, 2013 till Nov 05th, 2013.
I can say that the best thing in this hotel is the location, few minutes walking to the train station and very closed to Tivoli Gardens and downtown walking street.
Speaking about the service: My room at the first stay was room N.119 and I do not recommend anyone to stay in it as it was a horrible one with a very bad view (no view at all) the furniture looked very old and need to be changed, the minibar is not working and from day one I informed the front office but unfortunately no one cares and till check out nobody fixed it, changed it or even change the room for me. This is not acceptable at all speaking about a four stars hotel. Breakfast was ok and more than enough for anyone having different items and was tasty.
As for the second stay, the room was completely different - I guess this was because I did insist to see the room before check in and also because they have got my complaint for the first stay and they wanted to change my mind about the hotel.
In fact, this new room was totally different, meaning you feel that you change the hotel, it was a huge room (I have reserved a single) with a very nice view (2 balconies) just in front of the train station. I have got a working minibar, coffee and tea maker, sofa and a nice bathroom bigger than the other one.
The staff was nice but helpless, only smiling but cannot do anything to change resolve your problem.
I enjoyed the remaining 2 nights yes but still No one can guarantee to have this special room (upgrade room). Hotel needs to change old furniture to look better and to get a professional staff being able to absorb client anger and help him to continue the stay happy. As for the minibar and after reading other reviews, I think it is better to change all minibars as I am not the only one complaining about not working fridge or don't put it as a working service in the room features.
To hotel management: You have an excellent location, don't lose this with small issues which can show the hotel in an old shape.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Tbilisi, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

An excellent venue in an elegant 100 year old building, gracefully showing its age but definitely not in a state of decline. The old timey elevator is a trip in itself. Perfect location, superb breakfast buffet, across the street from the central train station, across the street from the famous Tivoli Gardens, within walking distance of many attractions, musueums, with lots of coffee shops and eateries to choose from. The wifi worked great. By European standards the room was fair size and livable. The bathroom, while somewhat dated in its equipment, boasted a large tub/shower combo. Who was the idiot who invented the 1/2 length shower door? The staff was very helpful with directions, taxis, tickets, and general good information. A tip of the hat to Simona and Claus who went the extra mile to be helpful. Be sure to take the train to Odense to visit the Hans Christian Andersen museum/home complex - tis wonderful. Would I stay there again you ask? You bet. The only negative that loomed over our visit to Copenhagen was the 25% VAT tax that helps to support all the social welfare programs. Virtually everyone speaks English and are quite friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Hotel Copenhagen plaza located just outside Copenhagen main train station and opposite Tivoli, the famous amusement park. There are lots of restaurant and convenient store around there, so easy to find something to eat. I booked family room which is big enough for four of us. The room and bathroom are clean. The fridge in the room is not working, I did ask the front staff to fix it but it still doesn't work until I check out. Some staffs are friendly but some staffs are cold.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to CopenHagen Plaza? Share your experiences!