“Pleasant affordable hotel in Copenhagen, Debnmarj.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vester Farimagsgade 17, Copenhagen 1606, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 20-30%
Ranked #51 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Rancho Mirage, California
“Pleasant affordable hotel in Copenhagen, Debnmarj.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wonderful location. Staff friendly and extremely helpful, especially Lauris and Monia. Breakfast is plentiful and tasty. Wonderful Danish mattress . Hotel is very clean with duvets and large towels. The room is very small small but adequate with a closet and no drawers. The bathroom has large towels and shower has powerful water pressure. There is a large window that opens. Short walk to Central Train Station. Taxis stand outside of this hotel. We would stay here again. The room price is low in this centrally located Best Western Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are 2 star. Fitness Center is being constructed. There is no swimming pool.. Correct the for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear FrannybabyFSM,

thank you for making time for a review of your stay at BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay in Copenhagen.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me via my email: es@hotelpropertygroup.dk.

Management Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I read previous reviews stating that it is an old, worn out hotel. It is indeed in the process of renovation (basement and 1st floor) but one thing should be mentioned and that is the cleanliness. Despite the shabby looking furniture and bathroom fixtures, it is very clean and in the end of the day that's what matters the most if you're having a short stay in Copenhagen. It has a very good location next to Vesterport S-train station and the Central Station is only a ten-minutes walk from the hotel. It is conveniently located for reaching the airport too, approx. 30 minutes by S-train + metro, but Copenhagen has a great transport system and the airport is probably easily reachable from every point.
Breakfast is pretty basic but good and the ladies in the cafeteria are very nice.
There are a couple of issues that can be addressed, for instance the fact that there is a single person covering both the reception and the bar, as one evening, there was a large group ordering beverages, us waiting for information and the phone ringing. We finally gave up waiting. The other issue, there are probably some problems with the sewer, as one evening a stale smell came from the bathroom and you could sense in in hallways too.
All in all, we recommend this hotel if you have a city break/ a week stay in the city as it is very close to everything you want to see.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that there are construction works in the basement and on the 1st floor
Dear Irinals,

thank you for making time for a review of BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel.

I cannot emphasize how great it is what you write here. We take pride in the hotels cleaniless, but also understand that some would associate not new with not clean, which is incorrect. We might not be the newest hotel in town, but as you point it out, we do everything we can to provide high standards in our services.

Lovely to hear that our location was satisfactory as well, it is indeed practical with the nearby stations to get to and from the hotel.

I am truly sorry the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

It is a standard that there is one person on duty covering all tasks when in low season, unfortunately sometimes everything adds all up in one moment, I can see how this was an inconvenience in your case, wanting some information.

I forward your comment immediately to the technicians about the smell you experienced, once again, let me apologize for that.

Piraeus, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel about 6 times now both on business and on leisure.
If you know the way it will take you about 8 mins to walk there from the central train station. Rooms are usually medium sized, clean and breakfast is nice also. Not too fancy but still good.
The staff are helpful and polite. The hotel has 2 elevators which are quite small though.
If you are looking for a simple clean hotel with a nice breakfast then Mercur will do just fine!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear colaboy7,

thank you for making time for a review of the hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty, it is truly great to hear that you enjoy returning to us.

To give you a good tip: there is a third elevator in the corner of the lounge area, it is less emphasized than the two others by the breakfast restaurant area, therefore not so many guests are using it ;-)

Have a lovely day and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Feel free to contact me directly via email: es@hotelpropertygroup.dk

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Best Western Mercur is located a short walk from Tivoli and the main train station in Copenhagen. It's only a 10 minute walk from the main street in Copenhagen and you can't really ask for a better location if you're flying in or out of Copenhagen and stay for a night - which is what I did.

The hotel looks good in pictures and when you arrive, but the rooms are actually quite tired and old. They are clean, but they desperately need an upgrade. If the price had been half of what I paid I would perhaps have expected the room I got, but at the 2000 DKK (£200) per night I paid it expected a lot more from the rooms.

The staff was however very friendly and service minded and were eager to help. I did not try the breakfast, but it looked great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear matsbs,

thank you for making time to provide us with your review.

By telling us what you liked and what you were less satisfied with helps us to improve our services.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and were satisfied with our staffs helpfullness.

It is true that the hotel is not brand new, but we are constantly making improvements to the guest rooms, when it comes to furniture, or amenities. Some rooms have recently been refurbished with brand new headboards. Having 109 (soon 119) rooms it is a never ending circle of improving our product.

I understand your dissatisfaction with the high price for your stay, weekends, seasons, happenings in the city such as concerts and conferences have all effect on prices. Also Denmark is a bit more expensive than other European countries.

Riihimaki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel one night at business trip. Coming to hotel was bit od, we felt like disturbing the guy in reception. And if guy for some reason thought we were odd, in customer service you should keep calm and not start talking to customer like he´s a kid. Rooms were very basic, but OK for sleeping. Only if beds would have not been so narrow! I had difficiulties when changing position and my smaller co-travellers told the same. Breakfast was good, hot chocolate and selection of bread etc. were available. Lady taking care of cleaning was very friendly, but she probably was not Danish.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Nefer075,

thank you for making time to tell us what we are doing right and what could be improved.

Let me apologize on behalf of the entire team for the inconvenience you experienced at the reception. I am sure that my colleague did not meant to be rude or chastizing.

Our beds are a standard width of 90 cm, we are sorry to hear that this didn´t live up to your expectations. In case you would like bigger beds, there is a possibility to book double rooms for single use.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

Our team at the hotel is very multicultural, there are of course a great deal danish employees and we have colleagues from all around the world.

We all thrive to provide the best service at all times, regardless from where we come from.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The good news is the location. It's right in the middle of the city, close enough but far enough away (if that makes sense).

The rooms are small and mine didn't have a bath. The room was also at the rear of the hotel and was overlooked, so the curtains were mostly shut!

I didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but the breakfast was decent enough.

The wi-fi signal was not great in the room.

There are also no safes in the rooms, they are located in reception.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear PDJDx3,

thank you for making time for a review of BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location in the city center.

The rooms are a bit different from each other, some have slightly smaller bathrooms than others, therefore in some there is space for a bathtub and in other we only have a shower.

We are sorry for the inconvenience of the weak signal, this should be fixed by our recent upgrade from 100 mbit to 200mbit fiber internet connection.

Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here three days prior to a Baltic cruise. Our room was tired looking; however, clean. The shower drain was plugged and the staff fixed it after we reported the problem. The staff was excellent and so was the breakfast that was included.

The hop-on-hop-off bus was only a couple of blocks away across from the train station.

The Tivolli was also close by as well as some beautiful parks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PamGurdHughes,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback here, it is essential to our business to know what is done right and what could be done better.

We are sorry for not exceeding your expectations, when problems arise we thrive to be as quick as possible at solving the issue.

We are delighted to hear that you found our staff excellent!

Management Assistant

Been to BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel? Share your experiences!