“THE ADMIRAL HOTEL IN COPENHAGEN IS AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Copenhagen Admiral Hotel

You added Copenhagen Admiral Hotel to your Saves list
Copenhagen Admiral Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Toldbodgade 24- 28, Copenhagen 1253, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Special Offer
free WIFI
Ranked #21 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Brisbane, Australia
“THE ADMIRAL HOTEL IN COPENHAGEN IS AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Last weekend I spent an amazing weekend in Copenhagen, staying at the incredible Admiral Hotel on the waterfront.
The hotel is impressive from the first view, with huge canons and piles of canon balls to greet you.
The interior of the hotel is unbelievable, with the biggest wooden beams on ceilings, walls, uprights...in fact everywhere. Some of these beams were more than two foot thick, anchored with massive steel plates.
My room, on the fourth floor had a magnificnt water view of the impressive Opera House, and a warship newly in port, as well as tall masted ships.
Everything I needed, and much that I didn't, was in my room...a very soft, clean bed, with ample pillows and quilts. There was a note telling me that I could ring or more pillows or blankets if I needed them.
The bathroom was spotless and spacious, with huge fluffy white towels, and, surprisingly, in this day and age, they provided shampoo, conditioner, show gel, hand cream, and soaps.
My room also had a fridge (which I did not open) a lovely leather couch and matching easy chair, a desk with writing paper, envelopes, a pen, a menu for room service, and so much more.
There were two wardrobes, and plenty of coathangers.
I made a mistake of going down to Nyhavn, to the waterfront restaurant and bars, for dinner, and I chose badly. I should have stayed at my hotel for dinner. I did go back there for a divine dessert....Lime and lemon Creme Brulee.
Breakfast was a huge spread of every imagineable breakfast food you would ever want, and it included a huge array of the lightest Danish pastries.
There are seval computers for guests to use free of charge. If you prefer, you can pay a small amount for WiFi on your own computer.
The staff were very friendly and helpful in so many ways, from posting letters, to showing how to use their computers, and advising about tours etc.
I had a wonderful weekend, and would love to return to the Admiral Hotel in Copenhagen ay time. Of course, the city itself is out of this world.
The staff

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view, but I think any room would be excellent.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Had problems booking the hotel through my agent friend last October. They wouldn't offer good rates or the rooms I wanted for/via agents and I booked through thomas cook on expedia in the end. I tried to contact the hotel to get them to confirm my request for adjacent double deluxe rooms facing the water/away from lifts and high up but without success. Strangely inaccessible. The week before I went I got an email back saying my request for a harbour view etc were noted.
MARCH 8th-11th 2012 -On check in I was told that I would have to pay an extra 28 euros per night per room for that view. I was incredulous and refused. Miraculously we got the rooms I had asked for without extra charge. I have written to the management but it left a sour taste.
The rooms were clean, everything worked, good size, had a BATH (many don't in Copenhagen) and were quiet except for the odd dog barking (pets are allowed?!!) in a room nearby, a 60th birthday party blaring music from inside the hotel til 1am and the navy ship moored outside the window with generator going all night. Despite this I would recommend the hotel as it is the best of a bad lot while the Hotel d'angleterre is closed as it has the location and has some character and the service is good.
BREAKFAST-overpriced and nothing to write home about! Approx 140Dk I think. You can go out to cafe Oscar around the corner and get a full brunch for 102DK but if you are like me and just want a coffee and a danish or croissant you only want to pay about 42DK all in and there isnt this option at the hotel. NB. No in room coffee making facilities.
RESTAURANT-Ate at Salt for Sunday lunch before leaving for airport. Good food, good service but small menu (lack of choice for non meat eaters) and good wine list failry well priced by Danish standards. eg 2007 Burgundy 370 DK.Down side is there is no view of the water until the summer months when they open up their annex room which therefore bocks the restaurant view..shame.
BAR-Barman made excellent dirty martini..cost approx 100DK

Rooms were hot so had to have window open hence noise being mentioned. I think this lack of aircon is common in Copenhagen and therefore the aspect and location of the hotel is v important as sound carries through the streets.

restaurants recommendations: FISKEBAR (Meatpacking district, location from THE KILLING),
Nimb, Cafe Zeleste off Nyhavn, Carlsberg Glyptotek winter garden for lunch, restaurant by Rosenburg palace for lunch.
Cultural sights; National Museum, National Museum of Art, Danish Design museum (near admiral hotel and Russian Church NOT the one near City Hall), Carlsberg Glyptotek (great for lunch), Rosenburg Palace, walk to Little mermaid (got to be done) via palace and fortifications,
City Bus tour hop on hop off from oppositeTivoli Gardens and opposite Admiral Hotel (at about 10 or 15 mins past the hour once an hour)
Stroget for shopping

Room Tip: Ask for high up, away from lifts, harbour view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Great location, very clean and comfortable. Located next to the nicest part of Copenhagen (Nyhavn), this hotel looks like a prison from the outside but is great inside. beds are comfortable rooms are warm and clean. bathroom is very good and nice flat t.v. They charge extra for a room facing the bay (200 Danish Crowns for a double room).Our only problem was when checking in. The receptionist chatted away to her fellow workers and was less concerned with actually checking us in. There are free computers in the lobby but no free wifi. It can get a little noisy on the street side, especially on Sat Night/Fri Morning

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We recently spent the weekend in Copenhagen, and wanted to stay close to the center of the city. Choosing the Admiral Hotel was a great choice. The place is very centrally located, has a great atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff, and well-appointed rooms. On top of this, the restaurant downstairs (Salt) is phenomenal, though pricey. (The creme brulee dessert was the best I've ever eaten, and that's my benchmark dessert)
We stayed in a Junior suite, and the loft arrangement of the bed, with the spiral staircase was a unique treatment I haven't seen anywhere else.
Being there in very early spring/late winter, the room was a little cold, with the radiant heater turned all the way up, as we were on the back side of the building where it's windiest. It's also not the best sound-insulated hotel I've been to, but nothing unbearable. Besides those two niggles, the rest of the experience was really good, and I will choose this hotel again whenever I have to stay in Copenhagen in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the back side of the building (waterside) and above floor 2 if possible.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

A hotel full of character and charm. The rooms are very basic, a wide choice of food is available at breakfast and staff are friendly enough; although that could go for the Danes in general.

The hotel is well positioned on the harbourside oposite the Opera House. It is far enough out of the city centre so not too noisy, whilst being only minutes away from Nyhavn, the Little Mermaid and a bus (11A) that will take you to the city centre and beyond if you don't fancy the 20 minute or so walk. the rooms on the road side (like mine) do suffer from the early morning traffic starting to get going at around 7:00. Rooms on the harbour side are far quieter and offer better views. My room also suffered some wind noise from the window even though it was shut tight.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms facing harbour get all the wind off the sea......a corner room is the best choice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Heidelberg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My husband and two of our friends stayed here over the last weekend in February. The room we had was beautiful, with some of the old beams inside, however my friends left something to be desired, although it overlooked the water, the window was slanted so you couldn't really see anything anyway. The place was clean and the beds were lovely and above all the staff was fantastic! We loved how friendly everyone was. The hotel was s 200 year old refurbished grain drying warehouse and it sat right on the water, across from the opera so there was a lot of history inside. Runners have the ramparts and boardwalk to run down and through and most sites are a short walk from the hotel. We didn't try the food since prices were very high and it did take over an hour to get glasses sent up to our room the last evening we were there. Overall I enjoyed the hotel, however if I were to go back I'd probably look for someplace that included more amenities for the price. Everything was extra, internet, breakfast and there was no fitness center.

Room Tip: Don't get a top floor room. Also streetside rooms can be very loud.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Entering the lobby with its wooden, hearty feel I immediately thought of the hotel in the Twin Peaks tv series and guess what song just played on the PA (yes, the Twin Peaks theme song). The rooms are nice with lots of wood details, the location is great for both tourists and business travellers like myself and the staff is friendly. However, one thing that baffled me was that I had to pay five dollars for a toothbrush and all other basic amenities such as razors etc have to be purchased. Given the hefty room price and the four star rating that is just plain cheap.

Also, had an awful dinner experience including a fish swimming in fat and waaaay to many ingredients ruining the taste. The best part was that another person dining next to me leaned over after I'd finished my dish and and simply stated "I'm sorry, I ordered that last night and if I would have overheard you ordering that I would have told you not to, it was horrible wasn't it?"

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Copenhagen Admiral Hotel? Share your experiences!