“Typical Very Expensive Euro Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ascot Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Studiestraede 61, Copenhagen DK 1554, Denmark   |
Ranked #80 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Houston, Texas, United States
“Typical Very Expensive Euro Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We got off of a cruise here and decided to stay one night in Copenhagen before flying back home the next day. We went from the sea port to the hotel arriving at about 11:30 AM. " You cannot check in prior to 14:00 (2:00 PM)". Bummer! They do, however, have a luggage storage room that you may use. This room is in an awkward place with flights of stairs and bending corners involved. In other words, wheeled luggage is outta luck here. At 2:00 PM you may check in, but beware! This hotel must be the standard place where bus loads of Asian tourists book via the internet. And they all check in at 14:00! So check in is a problem here because everyone coming I to the city that morning is checking in at the same time. At any rate, our room was down the street a block or two and again we fought our luggage over a long term construction project in the street and sidewalk in front of the hotel. The elevator was a tiny Euro lift for one person and luggage at a time. The room was fine, but nothing to brag about. There is a breakfast buffet (not included). They do have an Apple computer and printer off the lobby to print boarding passes which was nice. The desk person called a taxi for us when we checked out and the cab was there in about five minutes. It was a 20-30 minute ride to the airport with little traffic and there is a straight fee from hotel to the airport. If you are a penny pincher you can take the train from the hotel area, but if you have luggage, etc, just take a cab - it's not that expensive and well worth it. The hotel is okay. The construction and stairs, etc would make it difficult for the walking challenged. I had to help ladies with their luggage because it was too heavy for them to lift up and down stairways, Remember, there is no ADA in Europe! In short, the hotel was okay for a night. If I were to go to Copenhagen again, I would consider the Marriott as I noticed it was on the Open Top Tour Bus stop. I didn't go inside the Marriott, so I don't know much other than it looked nice, it was at the bus stop, and a lady from our cruise told me she checked in when she got off the ship rather than waiting until 14:00.

Room Tip: The hotel has rooms in the hotel and they also have multi room suites down the street, but they are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
Montréal, QC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location is the best feature of the hotel - 5-minute walk from Central Station, Tivoli Gardens, Stroget, City Hall, etc. It is also walking distance to most main attractions in Copenhagen. I had a single room with bathroom. The room was clean and with enough space for my suitcase and walk around. The bathroom was spacious and they fix the problem I had with the toilet right away. The room was facing the interior yard and it can get noisy with deliveries at night. There was a good selection for breakfast and it was good quality. The staff at the front desk can be rude. My flight was delayed by 24h and I've called to advise them and ensure I wouldn't lose my reservation. Once I got there, they had lost my reservation and gave me a lecture before finding a note on file. Fortunately, the rest of the staff was great and willing to help.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The spa did an awfull bikini wax and agread to return a sum. They asked for bankdetails, wich they got, but did never return any money. Even after several mails, both to the hotel and the spa. The woman who is running the spa, Louisa, can not be trusted and the hotel will not take on any responsibility even when they call themselfs "Ascot hotel and spa". Both the name, and holding back the money, is FRAUD.

That the surroundings are noisy, the rooms worn down and the 24-7 roomservice is not telling you what they charge (30 DKR to bring a beer for 35 DKR) does not give them more stars in my book. This hotel might be used if you just MUST have a bed for one night but NOT if you want to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Ascot Hotel and Spa was a charm about 3 blocks from the Central Station Terminal and a block away from the busses. A grocery store was approximately a block or two away as well.

We were lucky. The front desk staff let us check in early. Our room was updated and sparkling. We were on the 2nd floor with 2 double beds in a larger than normal European room, spacious bathroom, quiet and facing the parking lot (not a lot of cars made it very quiet). We had a small amenity kit and our small refrigerator worked beautifully! **We are not sure if this is because we put in a request upon booking for a quiet room and early check in.** Due to the time of year, the climate in the room could get cold, but otherwise, it was perfect!

My mother lost her credit cards in Sweden and the front desk staff went above and beyond to call around to the stores we stopped at and the busses we took. They have 2 Apple computers to help you check in for your flights and do your other web business. It's a little tough to read in Danish, but I'm sure there's a way you can change it, we just aren't Apple people. Yes, the elevator is small (European standards), but at least there's one there!

We didn't partake of their offered ($$$) breakfast but went instead across the Central Terminal to Andersen's Bakery. OMG this place was heavenly! The hotel had water in the lobby and I once saw bakery treats later in the afternoon offered to the guests. We would TOTALLY stay here again! GREAT SERVICE and ROOMS!

Room Tip: Upon booking, if the travel site you're booking on allows it, add a note requesting early check...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I popped to Copenhagen on business and decided to spend a couple of extra days there, checking out the City. This hotel won't be on your list of hotels providing great amenities, even at £120 or so per night. My room was serviceable, but no double bed, relatively poor quality mattress, no tea or coffee facilities - none of the basics really. However, the location is very good, right next to the Hans Christian Andersen Boulevard, 5 mins walk from Stroget and Tivoli and the main Civic Square - all that was just great. It just needs updating and modernising to compete. I went out to eat so can't comment on the food quality or price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

A shame that no note was left in my "upgraded" room (3 nights stay) to tell me there were overnight construction works right outside my bedroom. No in room water bottle, mini bar or coffee making facilities ..... It was a long stay!
The location is great, the noise, lack of amenities and air-con, not so great :-(
The room was not cleaned properly, my wine glass and coffee cup (brought up to my room myself) were not cleaned out of the room at all during my stay - they were still left there when I checked out this morning.
Breakfast is ok, nice pancakes, that's about it - machine coffee, machine juice ....
Not what I woudl consider a 4 star hotel, and sadly lacking in rememdial activity to compensate for very little sleep due to noise!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel itself is quite nice but it's nosy. VERY NOISY. I'm a light sleeper so do note recommend it.

Single glazing windows, which is odd since its next to Copenhagen's main road. My room has a door to the next room - why do old hotels still do this??? and the fckers next door won't be quiet. The hotel is full so no alternative available. The guy on the desk wasn't bothered.

Good location. No kettle or drinkmaking facility in the room. The TV remote control doesn't work.

I'm tired and in a bad mood. Got an all-day meeting and now I can't sleep. Thanks Hotel Ascot.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ascot Hotel? Share your experiences!