“Pre- and post cruise stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ascot Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Studiestraede 61, Copenhagen DK 1554, Denmark   |
Ranked #80 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Eastern Canada
“Pre- and post cruise stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

As with everything in Copenhagen, this hotel is expensive. It does have all the necessary amenities, but the decor is rather plain. Both rooms were very clean and upon our return after our cruise, we were given a small suite which included a small kitchen.
Its greatest asset is its location minutes from Tivoli Gardens, Strogget Street and the canal area. The price of the hotel did include a wonderful breakfast which, in a city where a burger can cost you $30, is a big plus. Except for one clerk at reception, the staff was pleasant but none of them was overly helpful. Even when checking in, they could not guarantee a non-smoking room. It seems, however, that most rooms are smoke-free.

This hotel is roughly 15 to 20 minutes from the airport and 10 to 15 minutes from the port. Outside of the hotel (in banks and stores especially) we found the Danish people to be very pleasant.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Overpriced
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
Copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Beware of the Ascott. We had a confirmed and guaranteed reservation with a credit card. Although we booked two months in advance, when we arrived we were told there was a mistake -- but they had our name -- and there was no room for us. We were sent instead to the Richmond Hotel, a two-star hotel at best, about five blocks away. When I asked the desk clerk if the Richmond was a nice hotel, she said yes we use it all the time. As a free-lance travel writer that suggested to me that it's not unusual for the Ascot to overbook, then send people to the Richmond at an inflated price.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

I paid for a "Superior Room" and upon arriving, I was told all those rooms were full, despite paying for the room in advance. I was given a much smaller room than I paid for AND told that it was the equivalent in theory even though the hotel staff acknolegdged that I didn't get the room I paid for. I was told that I had to deal with hotels.com since I paid them in advance. When I returned from Europe,I called hotel.com and after a lengthy hold, they told me that the hotel informed them that I got the room that I paid for even though it was not on the same floor as the class of rooms that I paid for my stay. Bottom line- I paid for a much larger room and received a much smaller room. Despite paying Hotels.com in advance for a large room, I was not able to get the room I paid for and was not reimbursed for the difference. I am never using Hotels.com again and definitely will never stay at the Ascot Hotel in Copenhagen. They do not know the work "service"... and hotels.com is not far behind in that too.

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — Service is terrible and room is not what I paid for
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

Ascot hotel is very centrally located, which is nice. The overall look of the hotel is decent too, looks like a converted building where you can see the old beams and a lot of character from the stairs and breakfast room. But the bedrooms are a big let down and can really do with a major update. It's not tiny but it's just old, not well decorated, equipped with worn down fixtures and has a very cold feel to it. The bedroom kind of reminded me of one in an European boarding school (I went to one as a teen so that's just the first thing that came to my head). At least it was clean though, it's just a shame because with the location, the building itself and the room size, they could have quite a special place here.

Staff were ok, they get the job done but a 3 star hotel in Europe is not like in Asia where you still get the good service, even in a 3 star place. Here, you can expect to carry your own luggage into and out of the storage room (they just hand you the key and there you go). The main door doesn't really open properly and there's no one to help with the door when you are dragging your big suitcase and carrying other bags.

The price was not too expensive compared to the alternatives in CPH. Wifi internet is free and breakfast was decent. But it could've been so much better if they do something about the rooms. Overall it's not a bad hotel, and we had a smooth stay here (we just came from Stockholm and stayed at Hotel Rival, which was excellent and a lucky find, so maybe our expectation was higher because of that), but Ascot Hotel is nothing you would write home about .

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

Booked this hotel a couple of months in advance of the trip. At the time of booking I requested a double room in a quite area. I rang them a 2 weeks in advance of the trip to request some soya or rice milk as I am lactose intolerant. They said they would and told me that I had two rooms booked. My confirmation email confirmed that i only had one. It two more additional phone calls and a request to speak to the manager to get the second room cancelled.
When we arrived at the hotel - we were told we were upgraded to the penthouse - great we thought. But ... the penthouse was in the roof of an adjacent building. It was penthouse by name but not by nature. You had to go outside the hotel and go two doors down the street, go up a very narrow lift to the 6th floor and go outside onto the roof and walk across to the end of the building and up an additional flight of stairs - all outside.
It it was raining we were going to get soaked. I decided this was too far removed from the hotel and there was going to be no room service and no stroll to the breakfast room and back to bed.
We returned to reception and declined the offer of the penthouse The room we ended up in was not by any international standard a double room. The bed was a fold up camp bed in a single room. Thank God we were only there for two nights. Very disappointing.

Breakfast was very good except they had "forgotten" to order me the soya milk - i was assured it would be there the next day. The next day I was told it was not policy to order such additional items!
I wouldn't recommend this hotel. I would if they offered double rooms with comfortable beds and listened to what their customers are looking for. Great location pity about the policies in place... my back ached each morning from the very thin mattress... staff were good, but management needs to take a long look at their product offering

• Liked — The location or maybe the breakfast
  • Disliked — Quality of the accommodation in paricular the bed was very poor
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Meath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

Recently stayed in the Ascot hotel for 2 nights on a weekend break with
my husband. The hotel has a wonderful location, approx 8mins walk from
central station, right in the centre of things. Tivoli is on your
doorstep as is the Palads Cinema and Strogret shopping street. Check in was
very quick and staff spoke excellent English and where very helpful.
What lets this hotel down is the standard of the room, they are
certainly not up to 4 star standard. They are run down and could really do with
some modernisation. The bed and covers where warn, although clean. The
only modern thing was the TV!! But as we where only there for such a
short stay we didn't't spend a great deal of time in the room. I had
read previous reports about guests experiencing noise but we didn't find
this to be a problem at all & our room faced towards the front of the
hotel.

As an overview on Copenhagen, what a great city to visit. It is on the
expensive side but once you overcome that it's great. The train from
the airport costs 30Dkk per adult and takes a max of 15 mins to reach
Central Station. The Carlsberg brewery is worth a visit, it costs 50Dkk
and you get a choice of 2 free drinks at the end. The no 26 bus will take
you there an adult ticket costs 20DKK. This ticket lasts for one hour
so if your quick you can make a return journey with the one ticket.
DFDS Canal Cruises offers about 3 different canal cruises with the option
to hop on hop off, prices per adult are 60DKK, which is very
reasonable. They start from Nyhavn. Nyhavn itself is lovely, full of restaurants,
bars and cafes. It can be expensive for a drink in the café bars but
it is perfectly acceptable to buy your own beer and sit along the canal
enjoying your drink along with the throngs of tourists that flock there
at the weekends. The Round Tower is off the main shopping street and
costs 25Dkk per adult. This however was closing just as we got to it.
Unfortunately the tourist bikes only run from May so we didn't get to do
that but you can hire bikes form a number of places. Also Tivoli is
opening up April 17th!!

• Liked — Excellent Location
  • Disliked — Rooms where not 4 stat standard
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

We were desperate for a decent hotel to escape the European winter and needed somewhere close to the Railway station. We paid about AUD$180 through the web site the day before. Arrived early and check-in was easy. Staff very pleasant. Single lift that is not really large enough to service size of hotel. Building seems to have a bit of history. Lobby is quite opulent. Room was a little different to what we expected but clean and plenty of space. We were on the top floor so ceiling was sloped. Given the heavy snow we spent a lot of time indoors so found the room quite cosy although have to agree with other reviews that the corridor was creaky. We used the free internet terminal in the breakfast room several times which was very handy. The location is very close to the railway station and many pubs and restaurants nearby. Breakfast was the real highlight. I don't think we've ever seen so many varieties of meat, cheese and breads for breakfast-along with all the usual breafast items. There seemed to be many Danish couples there from outside of Copenhagen (it was a Sunday morning), which is always a good sign if the locals frequent the hotel. The mostly Russian service staff were very efficient. the hotel allowed us to store our bags until late that night and even use the internet once we had checked out. We enjoyed our stay but given the price some might expect more from the rooms. Would definitely stay here again if we ever go back to Denmark !

• Liked — Snow on the skylight & the fantastic very European breakfast!
  • Disliked — the creaky hallway
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ascot Hotel? Share your experiences!