“Modern Hotel overlooking the water - ten minutes walk from Tivoli” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copenhagen Marriott Hotel

Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
north east scotland
“Modern Hotel overlooking the water - ten minutes walk from Tivoli”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

The hotel is one of the many glass fronted building on the waters edge, easy to find and a good base for those looking to explore Copenhagen. We arrived at central station from the airport by train - a 15 minute ride. The hotel is a ten minute walk from the station.

Check in was fine and we were given a room on floor 9 - looking over the city - a room overlooking the water costs more. The room was comfortable , big bed , flat screen TV and a powerful shower over the bath. No trouser press , robe or slippers - but the usual marriott soap , shampoo and bath gel with plenty of big white towels.

Breakfast was excellent - a good start for a day on the move - everything and more that you could wish - the herring , the pastries and the cooked bacon/eggs tasty and freshly cooked. Fresh coffee and more flavours of teas than to be found at Brooke Bond.

We ate in the restuarant on the Friday night - very busy - the locals appear to enjoy eating between 1800-2130. It is Denmark and it was expensive £50 each for a simple starter - steak and a shared bottle of the cheapest red on the wine list - a cheeky italian.

The bar is heated by an amazing open fire - a flamethrower that I feel the Health and safety brigade would ban in the UK. Not very busy - mainly business parties - again very expensive. There are tables outside and I am sure that it must be very pleasant in the late evening sun.

I enjoyed our stay - the staff were helpful if required - the waitress , the bar man and the front desk team came up with the goods when needed. I was able to download and print my boarding cards for our return flights.

We were in room 901 - the end of the corridor near the lifts - you can hear the lifts running up and down throughout the night - it was not a problem for me - I sleep like a log - however if you are a light sleeper ask for a room further along the hallway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I don't normally frequent 5 star hotels on business travels, but chose this one because of a very good weekend deal.

Considering how little I paid, the stay was fine.

But comparing the Copenhagen Marriott to other 5 star hotels that I have visited, it's below average. The staff wasn't really friendly or forthcoming - this was especially the case in the crowded breakfast room that seemed like Grand Central Station during rush hour. Getting a coffee or even a smile out of them was a struggle. But maybe they were just overstrained.

The breakfast itself was as standard as it gets. Hardly any danish specialities at all.

The room facing the harbour was the only highlight, the view was really nice.

Using wireless internet is a costly affair here, I can't believe that they still charge for something that most hotels, I visit, consider complimentary.

Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I was there for business.
the position is not ventral but very easuìy and fst to arrive with a taxi.
The concirge was a little rude at the check in but the rest of the staff was wonderful really really gentle. the room was fantastic: wide and clean, wonderful view on Tivoli Garden. I stayed just one night.
The breakfast is really a great experience: a lot of choice. when I didn't find croissant on th ebuffet they immediately prepared for me and the chef in person came at my table making their excuse for the delay, and bringing croissants! the hotel is really wonderful with a great hall ans all the building appears in very good condition. I'll certainly be back at Marriott during mu futures trips in Copenhagen. it trust every money!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Sandefjord, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

The first impression of a hotel is made in the redeption. Although the room and the sleep quality was fine, the way I was met upon arrival made me feel 100 % sure that I will not stay at Marriott again.
When I greeted the redceptionst and handed him my prepaid vouchers, he didn`t say "Good evening" or "hello" or "welcome". Just barked "Identification!!!", without even adding a "please ". And next" Credict card to guarantee extras!". Like a former reviewer I found it strange to have to actually reserve a rather big amount (DKK 1000) for extras. No more conversation, until he handed me the keycards without a word about having a pleasant stay, or pointing out the direction to the elevators aso.

Also the woman at the breakfast counter didn`t have a very service minded attitude. . When apporaching her, she handed us a paper and asked us to fill in the room number and signature. When I asked her whether breakfast was included, she repeated that I should fill in and sign. Had to ask her like 3 times before she bothered to check. It turned out in my case to NOT be included. As it is about DKK 220 per person, it can make a difference.
As already mentioned, the room was satisfactory, decently size, very nice bed. The bathroom, however, had a bathtub instead of a shower (i.e. you have to climb into it for a shower,)

The rooms facing the canals are extra (from DKK 200) for the view.

So if you come to the Marriott to have a good nights sleep and don`t care about the staffs attitude it is probably okay. If you think you payu for more than a bed, it is the wrong place. The friendly and good natured Danes as we usually know them, don`t work here.......

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I use the hotel on business trips. Travelling alone this time I used room service for the evening meals. First night it was OK, but ages getting through to whoever it is on the end of the 'At your service' button. Second night when tired after a long day of meetings and a late internal flight I was told the meal would be over 45 minutes, despite the Room service menu guaranteeing service within 45 minutes. When the food arrived after the waiter left I realised the meal was not that hot and I had been left 2 knives and no forks. An age (nearly 4 minutes) to get back through to 'At your service' and advised a fork would come immediately. After 15 minutes it hadn't - the food had been with me for 20 minutes and so cold. I rang and cancelled the order and told then it was all outside the room and I did not expect any charges, and i expected the Manager to discuss this with me the next day. They did say they re do the roder, but at 10pm and the possibility of another 45 min wait, and being very tired as well as going to bed straight after eating did not appeal. I then put my laptop in the room safe which promptly came up 'Service' as i tried to reopen it, and wouldn't open!!

The next day the Head of Security opened the room safe using a device, was carrying on conversations in a loud voice on his mobile phone at the same time, and he then left without checking the sale worked properly.
Late afternoon whilst working in the room I received a letter from the 'Duty Superviser' apologising for the meal the previous night and giving me a voucher for a free breakfast the next day. No discussion as requested, and letter returned to check in as I was leaving at 6am for a flight, and breakfast doesn't start until 6.30. I tested the room safe before using it again, and yes it came up Service when locked and wouldn't open.

I used the Mid Town Grill (aka Restaurant) that night, excellent waiters and waitresses, but choice is limited - if you like a steak great otherwise choice is minimal. The desert menu is on a postcard, which bizarrely they offer to let you keep - why?

Overall it is supposed to be a 5star, some staff give great service and are freindly, especially in the bar and restaurant, but they should be able to do the basics like include forks with room service, and when one is missing get to the room in a matter of a few minutes - any staff could deliver that.

Reception staff were OK, but did seem far more helpful/freindly with air crews checking in and out than others - presumably as they are the obvious regulars.

Alesund, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I had high expectations for this hotel. Being in the design capital of Europe and having a 5 star rating, I was expecting a lot more.

All of this was ruined unfortunately by the immediate cold reception from the lady at the check-in desk. Showed little real interest in our being there, and just sounded fake. Compound that with asking me to pay 1 and a half times the amount for the hotel at the beginning of our stay as insurance. Having stayed in notable other hotel chains I have not had this asked for before. She also commented in an extremely stuck up way, as if this was totally normal.

The foyer was very nice, hallways were pleasant if remarkably dull. The room however, was to add to my disappointment. The furniture was old, knackered, and out of date. The beds were averagely comfortable, nothing on other lesser branded hotels. There was no coffee machine or even a kettle which I expected in a 5 star. The minibar was ridiculous, the breakfast was ridiculous and even the room service was totally awful!

I phoned up the service people using the button 'At your Service' on the telephone and the person on the end of the phone did not want to take my room service order... at 11am. He put me through to someone else, who then said he was merely the delivery boy, and I needed to phone the reception again. I phoned again, spoke to the same man who ended up having to get his manager to take my order. Ridiculous!

Oh, and for some reason they do not stock the bathrooms with hair conditioner. Given women practically live on the stuff, I know not why this was.

Otherwise, the hotel was well decorated if completely dull given the city it belongs, clean though I would have sacked our bathroom cleaner... the toilet being a brilliant white effort had deep brown limescale around the edge and back. The breakfast items we ordered were of a superb quality, the coffee perfect and danish pastries were no different to the delightful local examples.

However, I am unlikely to ever pay for a Marriott experience again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Just back from a one night stay at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel. The hotel was lovely but have to say for a 5 star hotel it lacked a few of the nice little luxury touches you'd expect at such standards. However, that aside, my big problem was with Suchada on reception. I travelled as 2 adults, 2 kids (age 5 and 14) and 2 newborn infants (3month old twins).
I booked a family room online with 2 x double beds and requested 2 x cots.
When i arrived, Suchada told me i couldn't put the cots into my room as there was a maximum occupancy level at the hotel. I asked was there any way around this as i didn't want to book another room for just 1 person to sleep in it. In asking this question she became quite rude and condescending to me. The remainder of the conversation was Suchada repeating the phrase 'like i said' in a dreadful and condescending tone. I couldn't believe how rude she was. I kept my calm as i have worked in customer service for over 13 years. I didn't want to ruin our 1 night stay with my family by having a row on arrival! My husband couldn't believe i didn't challenge her to have some manners but i thought i'd put my family before my principles! Anyway, would never recommend this hotel onto anyone after this episode and its such a pity as the other members of staff we encountered at the hotel were lovely. Just a pity Suchada (the front desk supervisor no less) didn't go to customer service school!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Copenhagen Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!