“Very bad room service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Very bad room service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I use the hotel on business trips. Travelling alone this time I used room service for the evening meals. First night it was OK, but ages getting through to whoever it is on the end of the 'At your service' button. Second night when tired after a long day of meetings and a late internal flight I was told the meal would be over 45 minutes, despite the Room service menu guaranteeing service within 45 minutes. When the food arrived after the waiter left I realised the meal was not that hot and I had been left 2 knives and no forks. An age (nearly 4 minutes) to get back through to 'At your service' and advised a fork would come immediately. After 15 minutes it hadn't - the food had been with me for 20 minutes and so cold. I rang and cancelled the order and told then it was all outside the room and I did not expect any charges, and i expected the Manager to discuss this with me the next day. They did say they re do the roder, but at 10pm and the possibility of another 45 min wait, and being very tired as well as going to bed straight after eating did not appeal. I then put my laptop in the room safe which promptly came up 'Service' as i tried to reopen it, and wouldn't open!!

The next day the Head of Security opened the room safe using a device, was carrying on conversations in a loud voice on his mobile phone at the same time, and he then left without checking the sale worked properly.
Late afternoon whilst working in the room I received a letter from the 'Duty Superviser' apologising for the meal the previous night and giving me a voucher for a free breakfast the next day. No discussion as requested, and letter returned to check in as I was leaving at 6am for a flight, and breakfast doesn't start until 6.30. I tested the room safe before using it again, and yes it came up Service when locked and wouldn't open.

I used the Mid Town Grill (aka Restaurant) that night, excellent waiters and waitresses, but choice is limited - if you like a steak great otherwise choice is minimal. The desert menu is on a postcard, which bizarrely they offer to let you keep - why?

Overall it is supposed to be a 5star, some staff give great service and are freindly, especially in the bar and restaurant, but they should be able to do the basics like include forks with room service, and when one is missing get to the room in a matter of a few minutes - any staff could deliver that.

Reception staff were OK, but did seem far more helpful/freindly with air crews checking in and out than others - presumably as they are the obvious regulars.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Alesund, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I had high expectations for this hotel. Being in the design capital of Europe and having a 5 star rating, I was expecting a lot more.

All of this was ruined unfortunately by the immediate cold reception from the lady at the check-in desk. Showed little real interest in our being there, and just sounded fake. Compound that with asking me to pay 1 and a half times the amount for the hotel at the beginning of our stay as insurance. Having stayed in notable other hotel chains I have not had this asked for before. She also commented in an extremely stuck up way, as if this was totally normal.

The foyer was very nice, hallways were pleasant if remarkably dull. The room however, was to add to my disappointment. The furniture was old, knackered, and out of date. The beds were averagely comfortable, nothing on other lesser branded hotels. There was no coffee machine or even a kettle which I expected in a 5 star. The minibar was ridiculous, the breakfast was ridiculous and even the room service was totally awful!

I phoned up the service people using the button 'At your Service' on the telephone and the person on the end of the phone did not want to take my room service order... at 11am. He put me through to someone else, who then said he was merely the delivery boy, and I needed to phone the reception again. I phoned again, spoke to the same man who ended up having to get his manager to take my order. Ridiculous!

Oh, and for some reason they do not stock the bathrooms with hair conditioner. Given women practically live on the stuff, I know not why this was.

Otherwise, the hotel was well decorated if completely dull given the city it belongs, clean though I would have sacked our bathroom cleaner... the toilet being a brilliant white effort had deep brown limescale around the edge and back. The breakfast items we ordered were of a superb quality, the coffee perfect and danish pastries were no different to the delightful local examples.

However, I am unlikely to ever pay for a Marriott experience again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Just back from a one night stay at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel. The hotel was lovely but have to say for a 5 star hotel it lacked a few of the nice little luxury touches you'd expect at such standards. However, that aside, my big problem was with Suchada on reception. I travelled as 2 adults, 2 kids (age 5 and 14) and 2 newborn infants (3month old twins).
I booked a family room online with 2 x double beds and requested 2 x cots.
When i arrived, Suchada told me i couldn't put the cots into my room as there was a maximum occupancy level at the hotel. I asked was there any way around this as i didn't want to book another room for just 1 person to sleep in it. In asking this question she became quite rude and condescending to me. The remainder of the conversation was Suchada repeating the phrase 'like i said' in a dreadful and condescending tone. I couldn't believe how rude she was. I kept my calm as i have worked in customer service for over 13 years. I didn't want to ruin our 1 night stay with my family by having a row on arrival! My husband couldn't believe i didn't challenge her to have some manners but i thought i'd put my family before my principles! Anyway, would never recommend this hotel onto anyone after this episode and its such a pity as the other members of staff we encountered at the hotel were lovely. Just a pity Suchada (the front desk supervisor no less) didn't go to customer service school!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

The location is not so bad, both not the best either. The breakfast is very good. The hotel has nice gym and two saunas. The rooms are spacious but nothing special.

• Stayed January 2011
Epsom, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I spent two nights with my partner at the Marriot Copenhagen. To be honest the level of service that you would expect from a Five Star hotel falls on deaf ears at this hotel. No porter service was offered to help carry the luggage. I am not one to fuss over these things but after walking with two bags and being extremely tired it would have been nice for one of the 5 members of staff standing around from either concierge or the bell boy team to carry the bags. So bad start, the room simple and clean; not to my taste but overall a decent size. Everything stated on the hotel site you need to call AYS (at your service) if you want slippers or a robe etc. This becomes an endless task and you just get fed up with it. Had the do not disturb sign on my door and both mornings the mini bar guy knocked constantly screaming mini bar restocking can he not read the signs and then barged his way into the room absolutely disgraceful. As mentioned in previous reviews there is no kettle in the room if you want a cup of tea either pay 45DK or rent a kettle. For the price I could have stayed at other hotels in Copenhagen which had nicer rooms and would definitely have provided better service. The gym was a bit outdated in terms of equipment so world class fitness centre should be rephrased to 1970’s fitness centre in terms of its weights.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Clermont-Ferrand, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Excellent hotel, as always with Marriott.

The rooms are large and clean, the beds are incredibly confortable, the staff is friendly, ... The only downside is the breakfast, no very good, and the resturant prices which are too high.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

The hotel is not far from the city center (fifteen minutes walking) and from the train station (you can easily go on foot). It isby a canal so from the restaurant and some rooms you have beatiful views.I would remark the quality of the breakfast.
My room looks a bit old fashion, but it was funtional and the bed clothes are superb, and the cleanliness is good enough.
As a suggestion, free wi-fi and a more flexible restaurant timetable( I arrive at 11pm from a long travel and I cant dinner) would improve the hotel rating.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Copenhagen Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!