“Touring Copenhagen” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“Touring Copenhagen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed at the Palace Hotel for two nights before our Baltic Cruise. It is located in the heart of downtown right across the street from City Hall. It is a very famous (i.e. "old") landmark and has been restored with modern conveniences. The staff is very friendly and courteous and made our stay very nice. The included breakfast was everything you would expect in Europe.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side have a great view of the busy square out front.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2014
Dear Nat T,

Thank you very much for staying with us in connection to your Baltic cruise.

I hope you had a fantastic time here, and reading your review it seems like you got the very best out of the Copenhagen destination.

I wish you all the very best, and hope your cruse was a great relaxing time.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
sarasota florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The Palace hotel is ok. Great location with a slightly condescending staff who, I believe, tries to help guests. Rooms (ours on the inner courtyard) was small & not especially well appointed
MORE to the point. The city is very dirty & crowded. Food is generally poor and very, very expensine. Wine & cocktails are outrageous. People on the street generally dower and charm is a very short commodity.
I would advise anyone who plans to visit Copenhagen That doesn't have to be there would be better off elsewhere.

Room Tip: A good room would be in another city.
Dear tappyt,

Thank you very much for staying with us!

I regret to read you didn´t find Copenhagen to meet your personal tastes - the capitol of Denmark offers a wide variety of things to do and see, and on top of this we are internationally renown for our top class foods (NOMA is for the second time voted best restaurant in the World).

Staying in any capitol, city center location, will most always include lots of happy locals and visitors from around the globe exploring the many things a capitol has to offer.

With our very central location, I praise the vibrant city life surrounding us however respect it is not for all.

I wish you all the very best,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel is located in the heart of the city centre, opposite the Copenhagen City Hall, very close to the Central Train Station. It is also within a walking distance to most attractive tourist locations and shopping centres; For example, 3 minutes’ walk to the “Stroget”, 10 minutes to the National Museum, “Tivoli”, and 15 minutes to Nyhavn, the ‘New Harbour’ with its dozens of restaurants and bars. The hotel itself is a historic building from early 20th century, which is carefully renovated with modern facilities and Danish interior design but keeps well the beauty of the original style.

The hotel staff, no matter at the reception or in the restaurant, are efficient, knowledgeable and friendly.

The room was clean, only one day they forgot to clean the cups we used. The food served at the generous breakfast is high quality with many varieties for your selection and many ecological alternatives. Of course, it is a bit expensive. We happened to have a dinner one evening and we have to say the food was delicious, close to 5 stars in our opinion!

We had a very good experience staying at the Palace Copenhagen. It is well worth a return visit.

Dear Zhao55,

Thank you very much for staying with us this summer!

- Thank you as well for your very positive review on our team members, I am really pleased to read they made a positive difference.

I am very happy to inform you, we have now decided to include breakfast in all our rates as per September 1st, and hope this will be a positive note for our many visitors.

I wish you all the very best and hope to see you back with us.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We departed the Palace in early June after a cruise. The location is superb and the building is a marvel of turn of the century Danish design on Town Hall Square. Are there problems? Yes, the advantages far outweighed the minuses. Upon our arrival busloads of people were departing from the hotel for a cruise and the lobby was standing room only and luggage piled 6 feet high. There was no doorman to help us with our bags but I went into the concierge and the young fellow came to our aid and stored our things in a separate room on another floor until the hotel was ready for new check-ins. They offered us coffee and WIFI and guided us in direction of a restaurant for lunch. They were overwhelmed but gave us all the attention we required. The front desk staff continued to be first rate throughout our 3 night stay. And, thankfully, no more cruise ship pre- or post-trip buses were to be seen.

Our rooms were ready in the early PM. We were shown to a room with a balcony overlooking the square and the Town Hall. The unfortunate part however, was the Anatolian Kulturfest that went on for Sat and Sun. The noise was unbearable each afternoon until 11 PM. On Monday morning (our last day/night) I asked to speak to the manager (if only I could remember his name). He was the consummate gentleman. He told us that he had no control over the calendar of events and permits issued by the town officials for the use of the square. And more important, they were unable to tell us at the time of our booking that this event was to take place. Granted, I could have lodged a complaint on Saturday but failed to do so. Perhaps they could have moved us to a lower-priced room on the courtyard (nowhere as nice as the front) or even another Scandic hotel in town. He asked what he could do to ameliorate my frustration. I said the front desk should inform guests of the problem before check-in and unpacking. He agreed it might be a solution (of sorts). However, he insisted we dine at the hotel on our last evening at his expense. Knowing the price of good food in the city this was no small favor. His graciousness and largesse are appreciated.

Our room was HUGE with a fabulous shower, huge closet, comfy bed/pillows. A few negatives? Carpet was badly stained in more than a few places, white walls needed painting, comforters were too small for a king bed. If it weren't for the noise of the festival all would have been perfect. The chimes from the bell tower did not bother us.

Breakfast was wonderful. Served in a bright room at the front of the hotel buffet style. The quality and quantity were excellent.

In Copenhagen, we would stay here again. Thank you to everyone.

Room Tip: On the square, great views, but could be a problem for light sleepers.
Dear Edwers,

First of all thank you very much for staying with us - I sincerely apologize for the VERY loud concert occupying the City Hall plaza, it was indeed intense!

I clearly remember us meeting in the lobby, and fully recognize your frustration about the concert - hosting visitors from around the world, I must admit, it wasn´t my proudest moment as the music indeed took everyone by surprise.

Thank you very much as well for all your kind words to the staff here at Scandic Palace, it warms me greatly they took good care of you all the way through your stay.

I hope once again to bid you warmly welcome, under more normal and less hectic circumstances.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My stay was less than 9 hours but still a pleasant experience. Checked in after midnight and left the next morning. Only word of feedback is that I'm not a big fan of the rain water shower unit. I prefer to control the direction of the water and the hand held unit just isn't the same. This is just a personal preference.... Still I like this hotel with its grand corridors and I will be back.

Stayed July 2014
Dear mrscmac2b,

Thank you very much for staying with us this summer!

- Even if your stay with us was very brief, I am pleased to read you had a good relaxing nights sleep.

Rain water showers are usually very popular, however everyone has their own preference - for this reason all showers are installed with a hand held option as well.

I hope to see you back with us again, and send you my very best.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Arrived before lunch from Paris and got a pleasant surprise to be told that our room was ready and available. We were given a room on the 4th floor with skylights - nice and light and airy and unusually large as well. Location was perfect - booked a castle tour and found the pick up point was just across the road beside the Town Hall. How easy was that! Down beside the hotel was a closed off street which went for miles with every type of shop you could imagine. My wife had a ball and we certainly helped out the local economy. We could thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A room on the 4th floor
Dear DuncanSydney,

Thank you very much for staying with us while visiting Copenhagen!

I am very happy to read you had a relaxing stay and it does seem like you had an overall great time here in Copenhagen.

- Yes, the shopping street "Stroget" is a very popular place to visit, ant it brings forward options of every taste. Thank you for "chipping in" it is very much appreciated!

I wish you all the very best and hope to welcome you back with us once again!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Its an easy walk from the train station where the train from the airport arrives. The hotel is typical in many ways for an historic hotel, the cheapest rooms look to be very tiny by American standards, difficult for two people to stay in unless they are very much in love. Although we are very much in love, we upgraded to a queen bed with a reasonably spacious room that looked directly out at the monument and City Hall. We had a door opened to a tiny balcony that was great for watching people in the square below. The amenities were modern, the room perfectly clean, and a very nice breakfast. We were able to walk to almost any site in the City Center, and had great access to public transit as well.

Room Tip: I would pay a bit extra for a room higher up with a view of the plaza.
Dear GoHawks5,

Thank you very much for staying with us while in Copenhagen!

I am happy you upgraded to one of our many rooms overlooking the City Hall Square, as this offers fantastic views of a vibrant and urban city.

I very much hope to see you back with us again, and wish you all the best!

Hotel Manager

Been to Scandic Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!