“5 star service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Finland
“5 star service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was in business trip in Copenhagen last week and decided to stay somewhere else than normally. I chose Palace and was really happy about it even my "normal" hotel has been really good.

The personnel was really nice there. In our own travel-booking system I put that I need allergic room because I can´t stay in rooms with wall-to-wall carpet. That information wasn´t sent to Palace, and they had there some renovation going on. But still with some effort from personnel and some tiny effort of me, I got so beautiful room with wooden floor. With nice view of rooftops and clock towers. So I would certainly recommend this hotel.

It is located beside the Town hall just in the beginning of Stroget, the walking area in the city center. Also Tivoli is across the square.

Be aware that this is also Scandic hotel but taxi drivers don´t might know that and they drive you to the wrong place, which is also quite near the Town hall.

There is also health center but I didnt visit there. Breakfast was all good Scandinavian breakfast with fruit, veges, youghurt, eggs, bacon, sausages, bedrolls, buns... Good way to start your day :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at the Palace Hotel for a long weekend over the Easter break. The hotel has a great location - we travelled from the airport by train to Copenhagen city centre, and from there we were about 5 minutes walk away. Contrary to the previous review, we found the hotel easily -in fact you can see it from exiting the station looking straight over Tivoli.

During our stay we walked practically everywhere. The hotel is right next to the pedestrianised shopping area, it's opposite Tivoli and super close to the design museum. Copenhagen is pretty small to be honest.

The only con with the location of the hotel is that it is right next to the town hall, and therefore, you are subject to the loud clock bongs every quarter of an hour from 8am to midnight. A little annoying if you want a little lie in.

We had originally booked a standard double/twin room. I recommend you specify if you want a double, as we had two twin beds pushed together with two single duvets which I'm not a fan of. The room was pretty small, with only a shower cubicle rather than a bath tub. We discovered that the shower did not drain at all, and rapidly flooded our bathroom. On raising the issue, we were immediately offered a different room - an upgrade to the superior king at no extra cost - and they were extremely flexible with letting us go out for the day before coming back to move. Our new room was so much bigger and included a bath tub, not to mention the huge super king double bed.

I recommend you request a room that is not on the first floor as there is fairly loud music playing from below until relatively late. It does get quieter but if you are a light sleeper then this could be disturbing. Also, there was no chance of an afternoon nap pre big night out.

We didn't eat any meals in the hotel because we thought breakfast at DK160something was a bit steep. Instead we went back over to the station and at at Andersen's bakery - excellent pasteries, coffee and the most amazing hot dogs from the gourmet hot do shop next door. A must! We didn't eat dinners near to the hotel, but instead went to Restaurant Radio (20 mins walk away) and Geranium (cab drive).

If we were to go back to Copenhagen, I would be tempted to stay nearer to the night life over the river. Albeit you would be further away from the sights, but I think the atmosphere in the evenings and selection of bars would have been better. But this part i'm just guessing.

Room Tip: Higher floors are likely to be less noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Had a short break with my son in Copenahagen. Came to city-center by train from airport and we walked towards the town hall (where the hotel situated).
So we were trying to look around to find Scandic-sign and were very confused when not finding any. So after 10 minutes strolling we went in to a hotel (which had some other hotel-chain mark in the doorway). I asked at the reception, if they knew where our Scandic-Hotels is, and they replied "you have just arrived". Personally I did not like the the way Scandic is doing this in this location. From my point of view, it is obligatory to have some sign (even small) to tell patron where we are. This is important part of the customer-experience (customer-journey planning) - to ensure your customer is able to find you. Very basics!
However, the hotel was quite unique; old building with special atmosphere. Same time we felt good about old-fashioned interior, some parts of walls and ceilings seemed to be very worn-out.
The room itself was good with funny separated shower-rooms. Enough space for luggage and stuff. Nice linens and beds plus decoration. Scandinavian style. We liked it.
Breakfast was VERY good, huge amount of different items to choose from and good service attitude. Same attitude with receptionists. And barista, who prepared one of the best cappucinos in town.
So I´m sure we come back when in Copenhagen. At least now we know where it is.:)

Room Tip: Superior twin was very good choice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Very convenience location, very helpful and friendly staff. Rooms are very clean and modern, I had a very pleasant stay. Just the weather is not too good due to strong freezing wind. Hence suggest to have visit in Copenhagen during May instead.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Scandic Palace and the first thing I have to say is the location is great. The walking street is only steps away and train stations are a 5-10 minute walk. The breakfast is good and the service is friendly. Since I was alone and had no status, I can say the room was very, very small with an average size bathroom and a single bed. If you are older, I would suggest that you request a room with a walk-in shower. Getting out of the tub/shower could be dangerous if you have any physical disabilities. The room was very Scandinavian in design (nice) with a Plasma on the wall (not really much to watch unless you Pay-per-View). I did get another room the last night with a King size bed and a walk-in shower with a seperate tub. My other room was very cold and they accommodated me when I asked for the heat to be turned up. I plan on returning to Denmark and would have no problems with staying there again....hoping I have better luck with the room they put me in. I have stayed at the SAS Radisson and the Scandic by the lakes. The other two I have had better luck in room sizes, and are closer to the trains, but the Palace location is closer to the walking street. That's a plus for going out after a day's work.

Room Tip: If you have any physical issues be sure to request a room with a walk-in shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved the Scandic Palace Hotel! I can't say enough about the great location. We had easy access to Tivoli, the train station, shopping, food, etc. We were able to walk everywhere around the city. Our room was clean and large. The bathroom was very nice. The toilet was in a separate room than the shower, so that was nice. It was not a typical European type room. Our room overlooked the public area where there was construction being done, but it was very quiet in the morning and at night. The only construction noise was during the day when we were out exploring. We did not get breakfast at the hotel, because we enjoyed going to different pastry shops in the morning. There are several options very close to the hotel. We were very sad that we had booked another hotel for the second half of our trip....it didn't even compare! I would definitely recommend The Scandic Palace Hotel and would stay there again if I return to Copenhagen.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Had to book last minute and my usual first choices were all fully booked and the Palace looked like the best available option in the center.

First impression was not good, the hotel exterior and public areas looked old and tired and there was construction works going on in front of the hotel. Thankfully check-in was smooth and my room was actually very modern and clean (a strange contrast to the "rustic" look elsewhere in the hotel) so it balanced slightly on the positive...

...until the next morning, when the front desk staff told me to get a taxi at the stand next to the hotel rather than have them call one. According to them, this was supposed to be quicker (although I suspect they just wanted to process the checkout quicker as there were a lot of people in the lobby at the time). Well, I ended up waiting 20+ minutes for a taxi, and arriving late to my meeting. So much for that advice.

Overall, I was left dissatisfied considering how expensive the place is. Definitely not worth it, especially if you're traveling on your own money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Scandic Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!