“Okay hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Scandic Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuspladsen 57, Copenhagen 1550, Denmark   |
Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
“Okay hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Yes it is a classic and many may like that. We thought it was okay. Rooms very reasonable but nothing spectacular. We were on one of the upper floors and had a view over the roofs of the neighboring buildings towards some of the historic locations, surely better than towards a street.
The room was fairly compact but it was comfortable.
The breakfast was good and the buffet style had all the options we hoped. Service in the restaurant was nearly non existing leaving some spots on the buffet empty and plates on the various tables still standing around.
Front desk was actually very helpful for all our needs.
Location is great as from here we got to experience everything with just a few minute walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Armenia, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed 3 times at Palace so far, and had the following pro's cons:

1st Time (Superior Plus room)
Pros: Really nice room, quiet in the top of the building, really nicely decorated, sofa-group.
Cons: It smelled during the afternoon, and looked thoroughly to find... The last guests room service food in one of the drawers.. yuck .. I called and noone picked up in reception. Ended up actually going down with the plates to the reception (just to show). Not even an "excuse us". Also the pringles pack in the minibar was opened and eaten before I checked in, but they cancelled it on my bill.

2nd Time (Superior room)
Pros: Good room, clean
Cons: You could hear everything (walls leaf-thin). I handed in 2 suits for drycleaning, was told everything would hang in my room at 10, the next day. I had another suit I used, but told the reception while heading to work if they could carry up the laundry, which they once more agreed to. After 2 days (no laundry), i tried calling.. Obviously there is a problem picking up the phone at the front desk. I ended picking it up myself (when going down right after: no people checking in, 3 people in the back part? why not pick up the phone?)

I would say highlight is the breakfast buffet. Since the hotel is nowadays Scandic, I hope they keep their scrambled eggs and quality ingredients along with fresh pressed juice and not put up that scandic standard junk food & juice machine.

Also the proximity to the main shopping street, restaurants make it attractive..

I'll surely give it one more shot..

Room Tip: Choose a superior plus room (more expensive, but worth it)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travel to Copenhagen several times every year, and now I know where to stay. I had a weekend stay last week with my sister. We had a Superior plus room with a balcony on the townhouse side, and the wiew was lovely. The room was well heated and the heating system was easy to adjust. We were able to pop in to the Hotel with our bags quite often, as the Hotel is situated right by shopping area Strøget. Very convinient. lovely breakfast, and lovely cosmo in the bar. Nice and helpful straff in the reception. I plan to return in december, and have chosen the same room category again.

• Stayed November 2012
piajak, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for the very positive review of your recent visit to Palace Hotel Copenhagen! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business for one night, it was lovely. Room very clean and bed so comfortable - bathroom very modern and again spotless. Didn't sample any evening food at this hotel, so can't comment but the breakfast was fab, it's the only hotel I have stayed where they bring you your tea and tell you how long it will take to brew.. very impressive! We did use the bar and the beer was very expensive, however I think this is the case in Copenhagen anyway.

The hotel is situated on H C Anderson Boulvard this gives you great access to all sightseeing sites, Carlsberg Brewery definately book a tour the site is huge and very impressive, round tower is a must visit fantastic views over Copenhagen, and obviously the little mermaid, which is quite a walk too get to this, might want to jump a taxi and walk back along the pathway overlooking the sea.

We had an evening meal and lunch at Nyhaven Faergekro Restaurant, the food was fantastic and I would highly recommend this restaurant. Set overlooking the canal lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
piajak, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,Thank you for the very positive review of your recent visit to Palace Hotel Copenhagen! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The location is great. Just looking to the town hall and in the beginning of the walking street. But I'm not sure if I would say the same if we had been here a day ago. Because we learned that the night before we came was the last night of the Gay Festival. And for a week there were lots of parties in front of the hotel. So I dont know if it would be possible to sleep then. So I advise you to check the party schedule before going, since the area in front of the hotel is the street party place.
The hotel is very old, but it is well preserved. You feel as if you travel in time and stay in 19s.
The breakfast was also good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

very nice one night business stay with my wife, room clean tidy and in good order
tried to get a drink in the bar.. barman very sharp with my wife waited a very long time at the bar and never got served as our group had to leave for our dinner reservation elsewhere.
apart from this a very pleasant stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Was staying in Copenhagen for the weekend, and stayed at Palace Hotel. It is an old hotel with an old and elegant entrance hall. The room we got was recently refurbished and was maybe a bit "modern" for the style of the hotel. Still very nice and functional. The bed was excellent, but the blanket was a bit small, so it was a bit chilly.

Breakfast was not included, but we paid for it and it was excellent.

Free wireless wifi, but on our room we couldn't reach it. Thankfully the public network came to rescue.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. We was able to put our baggage in the storeroom after check-out because of a late return flight. When it a bit later started to rain, we returned to fetch our umbrella, the staff responded; "why don't you just borrow one from us, so you don't have to unpack you baggage. The small things that makes a stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Scandic Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!