“Nice modern hotel, convenient location” 4 of 5 stars

Scandic Copenhagen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vester Sogade 6, Copenhagen 1601, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Ranked #45 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Nice modern hotel, convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Scandic Copenhagen is conveniently located about 5 minutes walk from the station, and within walking distance of all the main sites of the city centre. From the outside a bland 60's tower, inside it has clearly been renovated quite recently, to quite a trendy design. The lobby and bar area is airy and fun, and there are also some tables outside for when the weather is nice. The rooms are quite small, but modern. I had a city view room which was decorated with a collage of city-themed pictures, which makes a very nice change from the usual bland hotel style. Being quite high up meant I had a nice view of the city. The rooms on the other side have a view of the lake. Everything is functionally designed, there are a range of power points in the room, and the free wifi works well. The room and the hotel in general were very clean. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet was great, it comes included with the room rate and offers a good spread of items, the bread is especially nice. A plus if you are wandering around Copenhagen is that the hotel is a very visible presence on the skyline so you are not likely to get lost. Downsides were the size of the room, which was small, and the fact that there was no tea or coffee maker in the room, a very annoying continental European habit!

Room Tip: Decide whether you want a lake or city view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Indonesian first
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I had stayed in the Scandic Copenhagen, on Vesterbrogade, a few times over the past few years. As I was meeting my daughter and grandchildren off a flight from the UK I decided to stay there for one night on my own as the hotel and area were familiar. The hotel had also had an update since our last stay and I was eager to see what had been done.

Checking in went smoothly but I was a little disappointed when I was informed that my standard room did not have a bath as I had included this request on my booking form. The receptionist managed to find me a room with a bath but said that requests were just that and there was no guarantee of fulfilment.

My room was on the 6th floor,and although it had no real view, the décor was very impressive. I could sit at the desk and look out the window. Most hotels have a desk in a corner with a view of a wall. I had brought a kettle along as I knew the standard rooms were not equipped with tea making facilities. It was all in all very relaxing as was the lovely bath. The toiletries were in dispensers on the wall but I was pleased with the quality. Initially there was a problem with the room key as they were experiencing general problems with the computer regarding room keys but this was soon rectified..

The safe in the room was large enough to accommodate a 15” laptop quite comfortably. The free WiFi was an additional bonus. I was impressed by the BaByliss free standing hair dryer as opposed to the hair dryers often in hotel bathrooms that are attached to the walls. The coat hangers were also not attached which I usually find very annoying to detach.

The selection at breakfast the next morning was not as impressive as on previous visits but offered both hot and cold dishes. I did miss the bowls of fresh mixed fruit salad but settled for a fresh banana instead.

During the simple check out process I was able to confirm a booking made for the following Wednesday and confirm that there was indeed a bath in our room and that of our daughter.

During the check in on the Wednesday we found that although my daughter's family room did have a bath there was no bath in our superior extra room. I was rather annoyed at this as it had been confirmed by the receptionist on the previous visit less than a week before. While we were about to accept the offered room without a bath, the receptionist offered us an upgrade from the superior extra room that we had booked, to a junior suite. We agreed to the change so that we could enjoy a relaxing bath after a long day of sightseeing. My daughter was satisfied with the room she had been given. There were two single beds and a double couch had been set up in the room to accommodate her and the two children. Her only complaint was that there was no bathmat so she had to use one of the hand towels for a mat. We remembered that the Scandic had underfloor heating in the bathrooms and hence did provide a bathmat.

Although our daughter was accompanied by her two children aged 8 and 11 they did not receive the advertised welcome gift or information about things for children to do at the hotel and no play areas or books etc. were offered.

Our junior suite on the 9th floor was double the size of the standard room with a dividing wall between the sleeping and living areas. It was fitted with a couch and two chairs, plus coffee table. There was a TV monitor in both rooms and the rooms could be shut off with sliding doors, if required. We noted, however, that it had not been used for some time since there was a layer of dust on the work spaces and coffee tables.

Disappointingly, what it did lack was the coffee/tea making facilities, the special toiletries, dressing gown and the 50DKK voucher that would come with our superior extra room. On our way out for the evening we requested a tray with coffee/tea making facilities to be brought to our room. This made a considerable difference to our stay as early morning tea is a pleasure we enjoy. The room had an excellent view of the lakes, and windows covered the whole wall of the two rooms. It was pleasant to be able to open the windows for fresh air. Again the room safe was the same size as in the standard room.

Breakfast was as previously mentioned. Check out went well and I again requested our superior extra room for our two night booking in June to include a bath. This was noted by the receptionist. I look forward to seeing if this request is satisfied. My husband also holds a Scandic frequent user card.

The Scandic Hotel chain offers a wide range of hotels and there are a number within Copenhagen City. This one is convenient to the town centre, central station and Tivoli Gardens.

I would recommend this hotel for all travellers from families, couples, singles to business people. The foyer/reception area was white, bright and airy with a forest theme based on trees. The bar serves good coffee but a bottle of wine could cost up to 500DKK. There are four elevators so there was no problem getting to the rooms. The room key provided was used to operate the elevator and the lighting in the rooms. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, no tourist maps or guidance was offered but it was assumed that we knew our way around. I did notice some sheets of maps near the hotel shop which was in the foyer and open 24/7 for coffee and snacks.

On this visit we did not use the fitness facilities or the hotel restaurant for meals.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a great view on all sides
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scandic_Copenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel.
We are constantly working on improvements and feedback from our guests is an essential tool in doing so.

Let me respond to your points one by one.

It is, unfortunately, common practice in most hotels, not to guarantee specific room features, such as view, floor, bath tub etc. Requests like these will always be ‘depending on availability’. There are a number of reasons for this. Let me give you a couple of examples. 1)The room with the requested feature might be out order on the day of arrival, 2) Perhaps the previous guest decided to extend his/her stay by a few days, or 3) Maybe the room was assigned based on the request of another guest arriving the day before.
There are simply too many dynamic factors and unknowns for us to be able to guarantee specific features. We will do everything we can to fulfill requests, but it would be unethical for us to make promises we are not 100% sure we can keep.

I am glad you enjoyed the view and the placement of the desk. We are very proud of the great view from our rooms and giving our guests the opportunity to enjoy Copenhagen ‘from above’ has been an essential element in our new design.

We often receive positive feedback regarding our breakfast buffet, but we are always open to new suggestions and improvements. I will forward your comments to our Head Chef.

You should have received a welcome gift for the children when you checked in. This must have been an oversight from the receptionist. I apologize.
We do have activities for children. There is a playroom in the breakfast restaurant with books, toys and a Playstation. There is also a foosball table and a Nintendo Wii in the lobby, conference lobby or downstairs depending on the level of activity. In the summer and during school holidays we set up additional activities.

King Superior Exstra rooms are the only rooms that come with coffee/tea sets and bathrobes as standard. I find it very strange that your room did not have any of these amenities and that you did not receive the 50DKK voucher. The only plausible reason I can think of, is that you were actually upgraded to a Junior Suite instead of a King Superior Extra. I will be happy to look into this if you contact me directly.

Electric kettles are available on request free of charge, as you noticed. Other amenities are also available on request, most of them free of charge. This is due to esthetic and environmental concerns.

The counter you noticed in front of the shop is our Concierge Desk. The Concierge is there to help our guests with everything from sightseeing and directions to transportation and dinner reservations. This extra service is only provided in a few of the largest hotels in Copenhagen.

There is a lot of information to take in when you check in to a hotel. Some guests are eager to get to their room in a hurry other guests are interested in information about hotel facilities, etc. We obviously have check-in guidelines, but receptionists will often have to assess which and how much additional information each individual guest is interested in. In order to make check-in swift and efficient, which is often necessary at a hotel of our size, receptionists will often refer to the Concierge if guests need additional information and/or assistance.

I regret that you were not informed of our Concierge service when you checked in. This would most certainly have improved your overall experience during your stay.

Last but not least, thank you for your kind comments about our staff. I will make sure to pass that on.

I hope you found this reply useful. If you have any additional questions or comments you are more than welcome to contact me directly.

We are looking forward to welcome you when you return in June.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Much to like about this hotel - convenient city location, rooms at the front offering attractive view over water, friendly and efficient staff, large and comfortable bedroom (although not much in the way of storage space), excellent buffet breakfast, absolutely immaculate bathroom.
The bedroom floors are hard-surfaced : as a result, I experienced some shoe on floor (tap-dancing?!) noise from the room above. However, the hotel's solid modern construction prevented any other sound-transmission issues.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have attractive view over water
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is a very clean modern hotel that rises into the sky. if you are lucky enough to get a lake view you can watch the sun going down which is magnificent when there is a golden sunset.
The breakfast is excellent with the food being constantly replenished. The staff are friendly and very helpful
A very good position in copenhagen, close to buses, touriswt information office, tivoli gardens and the station to trips into the countryside.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just stayed here for a few days for a conference. Very helpful, friendly staff. Rooms comfortable, clean, everything you need (my room had hairdryer, iron and ironing board) and great view of the lake.
Food was good - buffet breakfast had great choice of good quality foods, dinner was also good, Service was quick and pleasant.
Good central location just few minutes walk from city centre and sights. !0 mins walk from Copenhagen Central station and easy access to other train stations.
Gym was small but adequate and the shop was handy. Added bonus was being able to check out but leave bags to be collected later in the day.
I enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Scandic_Copenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. I will make sure to pass on your praise to our staff.

We have recently undergone an extensive renovation. I am happy you like the result.
There are still a few areas that have not yet been completed. One of them is the fitness room. However, the plans are there and work will begin soon.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you are in Copenhagen.

Alessandria, Piemonte, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I choose the Scandic hotel for my last business trip to Copenhagen. It is located very close to the centre of the city. The room at the 13th floor was quite confortable with a wonderful view on the city but there is no minibar that sounds a little strange for such a high level hotel. There is a free wi-fi service that you can access just asking for your login and psw at the reception.
The breakfast is quite good even if the selection is a little limited.
You can have a dinner at the hotel restaurant or even at the bar. The quality of the food is ok but it is quite expensive. Everything is indeed quite expensive in Copenhagen.
There is the possibility to park the car outside the hotel or in the Q-park at level -2 directly connected to the hotel. It was very confortable because outside was snowiing all the week but very expesive (190 DKK per day).

Room Tip: Wonderful view at the highest floors. The hotel has 19th flooors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Scandic_Copenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Scandic is continuously working on actions that can reduce our impact on the environment. As a result of this strategy, it has been decided to gradually remove minibars from all Scandic hotels. Guests are encouraged to use our 24h lobby shop, vending machine or other f&b out-lets instead. This may not be quite as convenient as having a minibar in every room, but it will reduce our carbon footprint significantly.

You are absolutely right. The price level of food & beverage is generally a bit high compared to other European cities. The main reason is the tax level and high minimum wages. For several decades the Danish hotel industry has tried to put pressure on legislators to introduce differentiated VAT on hotel accommodation and other tourism related services. This is common in many other European countries. We believe this would improve affordability and make Copenhagen more attractive for tourists. Unfortunately, we have yet to see decisive results of these efforts.

I hope the price level will not discourage you from visiting our city again. If you do so, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Scandic Copenhagen.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful lobby with nice colours and details. Excellent service in the restaurant in the night. The staff is also very friendly and professional.
I was missing some things from the room like for example a hair drier, bath robe, coffee, tea and so on... But the room is clean and the view from the 13th floor is stunning with a nice sunset coming through the window in the night.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Scandic_Copenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. I will make sure to forward your compliments to our staff.

I regret to hear that your room was missing a hair dryer. All our rooms have hair dryers, which are usually placed on one of the shelves in the wardrobe. However, sometimes they do disappear. The housekeeper that cleaned your room must have overlooked the missing hair dryer and failed to replace it. I apologize for this inconvenience.

I am afraid only our King Superior Exstra rooms have coffee/tea sets and bathrobes as standard. However, electric kettles are available upon request free of charge.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Scandic Copenhagen? Share your experiences!