“Excellent food great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fishmarket

Fishmarket
Hovedvagtsgade 2, Copenhagen 1103 København K., Denmark (Indre By)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 1,657 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Seafood, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Decor, menu plus service all good! We had octopus, squid, white fish of the day, followed by lemon meringue dessert plus a lovely cheesecake!

Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Outstanding fish restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The food is outstanding. The tiny dining room is charming. The service is very good.

The restaurant is located in the heart of the city and is a short walk from many of the larger hotels.

Visited April 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What a Great Seafood Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

It has been a number of years since I have had such a wonderful Seafood Plateau as Fishmarket served up last night. It was so good we had two. There were three of us and these two dishes would have served 6 easily. We were glutens I admit but it was so good. all washed down with a bottel of Sancerre.
Be prepared to pay but well worth it. Service was excellent too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The food experience was very good - from the "plateau" with oyster, shrimp, lobster over main courses to the desserts. Fresh, well tasting, classic preparations. Also the selection of wines are adequate but as always in CPH a little pricy.
Staff was helpful, smiling and easy going, and for sure knowledgeable of dishes, preparations, wine.
Be aware that the place is relatively small and noisy - bistro style - and better suited for a lively dinner with friends and family more than for a business dinner. We were there for the first and I can only say that we were more than satisfied!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent Fish Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

A wonderful restaurant. Local seafood motif with tiled walls and floors, white table clothes covered with butcher type paper and dark wood chairs and benches. Very good responsive and energetic staff that could connect with the patrons. Not very large, so reservations are a must. The tables seem to turn every two hours, so if you are flexible, you are in.

Not an extensive menu, but what they do, they do well. All seafood with the exception of one beef dish.

We went two times.

The first night my wife had the menu. Fried (sautéed) scallops with a delicate topping of tomatoes and anchovy. Perfect. Followed by grilled haddock served on a bed of tender pea shoots. The fish was so fresh it didn’t taste like fish as we know it. In fact, it tasted like fresh fish in my college days in Florida when we had a fire going on the beach, caught a fish, cleaned it and threw it on the fire. Wonderful. I had six oysters that screamed "I am fresh!!" when I squeezed lemon on them, served with a fried dark bread with a mild garlic-type butter. Followed by a bouillabaisse of three types of fish with mussels, a few carrots and onions. Wonderful dark broth. Accompanied by chopped garlic/chives, a mayonnaise and small toast. Excellent. A bottle of Pouilly Fume for 345 DKR (almost all wine here is expensive) and tap water. Came to about 1000 DKR. More than I wanted to pay, but worth the price.

Second visit very good, but two dishes not to our tasting. For starters we had the bisque de langoustine and grilled langoustine. Bisque was very good, but what set it above many others is that it included some grilled langoustines that were not only very flavorful, but crusty. One of the best I’ve had. The grilled langoustine were perfectly cooked with a parsley garlic butter sauce. Also exceptional. The mains let us down. Lotte came with a smokey taste that overpowered the fish. Also with an artichoke and mashed potatoes with some dark gravy. The combined taste was nice, but it seemed like they were trying to make a beef or land dish rather than a fish or water dish. Similar problem with the lemon sole. Perfectly cooked meunière style, but covered in parsley and too many capers. Reminded me of the Portuguese putting vanilla on their sole meunière. Couldn’t taste the subtleness of the sole. Both fish dishes perfectly cooked, but I think they tried too hard on the lotte and sole and missed the mark - at least for my taste.

So I would give a five for the first visit and a four for the second. Of course I would go back, but I would cautiously study any sauce or fish toppings.

Had we stayed in Copenhagen another week, I would had gone back a third time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere