“Great rooms on top floor - good room service - average breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

71 Nyhavn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nyhavn 71, Copenhagen 1051, Denmark (Indre By)   |
Ranked #47 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
London
“Great rooms on top floor - good room service - average breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I'm fortunate that my company has booked me into the mini-suites in this hotel several times. These rooms are exceptional - terrific views of the harbour, beautifully modernised with exposed beams and a custom made spiral staircase leading to a study/relaxation upper floor. I've no idea what their tariff is - but the room certainly lifted my spirits and coming "home" to them was always a pleasure. Food from room service was consistently excellent, but breakfast is pretty average by comparison. The only other gripe is that the television channel selection is not overwhelming.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Sandnes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed two nights in the 71 Nyhavn Hotel. The Admiral next door was fully booked. I received a friendly check in and was shown the lift. The lift was small and incredible dark. A few light diodes did not give light to read the buttons for the floor. The trick was to count the buttons and press. This miserable light must be fixed. The lift was fairly noisy and I thanked the luck that I did not gave to sleep in one of the four rooms next to the lift. Maybe those doors were extra insulated? The room was OK. Clean. No view, but quiet. There was a mini bar, but no safe. The bathroom was small, but OK. Above the mirror was a few useless spots. These spot lights made it impossible to get a proper shave. This crappy shave did I notice when I looked myself in the mirror at the office. Why can't the hotels mount a front light that give you a chance to do make-up and shave? Another disturbing thing is the mounting of the spare toilet roll next to the toilet in the "spray zone". In 71 Nyhavn, the toilet cleaning brush was mounted next to the spare roll! Yuck, what a bacteria bomb. THIS HAS TO BE FIXED. Bring your own toilet rolls. Why are so many hotels exposing us for such risks? Some hotels in Norway cover the spare roll with a plastic cover.
There were positive comments. The beds were good and the breakfast likewise. There were free Internet in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Robert_Thomsen, General Manager at 71 Nyhavn Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for submitting your comments on TripAdvisor. I apreciate feedback from our guests as it helps improve our service and product.

I agree that many of our rooms are small due to the fact that we are housed in an old warehouse and therefore few alternations can be made to the building. However we do our best to keep the rooms updated and in a satisfacting standard. We also have many rooms in other categories with view to the water.
Thank you for your comments regarding the light in the bathroom and the placement of the spare toilet roll which I have taken into consideration.

Once again thank you for submitting your comments.

Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

There are two sections to the hotel, the older less spacious part which borders the harbour and the more modern part of the hotel, as we were staying twice during our trip we experienced both halves.

Our first 3 days were in a small room, with a shower which had no shower tray, just a drainage hatch in floor. The bed was two separate beds pushed together and not very comfortable to share.

We ate in the restaurant once and were quite pleased with the food.

The hotel location is very quiet and perfect for warm evenings - less so in the cold (we arrived in cold weather of about 8 centigrade and the room was cold. Fortunately the weather improved markedly while we were there.

The second stay was an altogether more refined and better experience. The newer part of the hotel had proper double beds, a bath, more space but less good views.

I would not stay again in teh older part but would readily stay in the newer part.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Robert_Thomsen, General Manager at 71 Nyhavn Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2010
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I agree that our rooms in the older part of the hotel are quite small compared to the rooms in the newer part and especially the bathrooms are bigger and more comfortable. Unfortunately the view to the water is not as good.
We do our best to keep all our rooms updated even though some of them are small.

I hope to be able to welcome you a second time.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

Spent 1 night here on business trip, First time to Copenhagen. Arrived very late but the NYHaven area still buzzing with people at outdoor tables, lanterns etc. Very friendly receptionist however was told that the kitchen was closed and recommend somewhere for me to eat (it was about 11.30pm and I was starving). None of the restaurants on that side of the canal were still serving food however I did locate a very friendly small restaurant on the other side that did. The hotel itself is in an old typical warehouse building with lots of character. The room I was allocated (405, prob the worst as I arrived so late) was TINY although a full size bed with windows that opened out onto a numer of noisy machines (a.c.?) If the bedroom was small the bathroom or should I say shower room was the smallest I have ever encountered. There is no shower tray and the water runs down a hole in the tiles and everything on the floor gets wet if you don't move it. As it was only 1 night I didnt mind. What I did mind however was the stink of smoke the permiated the room/bolsters on the bed and curtains. Therefore I had to leave the window open and suffer the noise from generator outside. The bed was extremely comfortable, lovely cotton sheets/pillows and comforter (2 singles as previouslymentioned).

Breakfast was fast and tasty (great wheaten breads) lots of coffee/juices/cooked and cold foods. There is a computer available in the lobby for use and free wifi in the rooms. I also noticed that a complimentary cup of tea/coffee is available for guests, in the lobby in the afternoons.

Although I had no view of the water I loved the location and would like to return when not on business and get a bigger room !

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I agree that our rooms in the older part of the hotel are quite small and especially the bathrooms are small but we also have much bigger rooms. Our rooms are very different due to the fact that we are housed in an old warehouse dated back to 1804.

Thank you for your positive comments on our breakfast and complimentary afternoon coffee in the lobby.

I hope to be able to welcome you a second time.

Dresden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

Do you also have the experience that you were once looking forward so much to a special holiday or stay somehwere and the arrival at the hotel is just so disappointing and ruining the whole?

We have and that's why decided to invest some time to find decent hotels. One of those is 71 Nyhavn in Kopenhagen. Kopenhagen is a lovely, quite elegant city with beautiful old parts. This is where 71 Nyhavn is perfectly fitting. Old architecture, well and with style kept, view to the water ( you should ask for a room with this few), calmness although situated in the city centre and furniture and decoration which perfectely fits to the special charme of the house. The staff is well trained without being "over trained" , attentive and friendly.

For those who like modern rooms the house also offers a modern part. The rooms are partly small due to the old architecture of the house.

Very pleasant and worth mentioning is that we never experienced a queue for breakfast.

This hotel is for sure a leading one in its category and should be your choice when you appreciate to be in the city centre of Kopenhagen, in walking distance to opera and shops and restaurents and also want to enjoy calmness

Dear Sirs,

Thank you very muck for writing a comment on TripAdvisor!

I am very happy to read about your positive experience at our hotel.

I hope to be able to welcome you a second time at 71 Nyhavn Hotel.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

This hotel is located in my favourite part of Copenhagen, the wonderful Nyhavn. It is a lovely old building, but the rooms have become outdated and tired. In our room, where we stayed one night, the shower drain wasn't working properly which caused the bathroom to flood. Fittings were missing from the bathroom wall (shower storage shelf and towel towel holders). Both chairs in our room were worn out and the material had frayed. On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and the view amazing. Reception service was really good; staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a big disappointment. Staff were slow to respond and didn't replenish the food when it ran out, therefore, the choice of food was very limited, especially for me; a vegetarian. The hotel has a lot going in its favour, but needs to address the maintenance issues.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

The hospitalities and friendliness from the staff make my lenghty stay away from home bearable and pleasant in a way. Room is comfortable especially with air conditioner during the summer

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Robert_Thomsen, General Manager at 71 Nyhavn Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2010
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for submitting your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am very pleased to read your comments and especially your satisfaction with our staff.

Robert Thomsen

Been to 71 Nyhavn Hotel? Share your experiences!