“They were not joking when they said compact single room” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #27 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Manama
“They were not joking when they said compact single room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Compact? I've stayed in hotels where the bed was bigger than my entire room and hotels where the shower cubicle was bigger than the whole bathroom! The bathroom is so small that there is not enough room for a towel rail, men would probably do themselves a mischief, if there was a towel rail. The shower cubicle is so small, I can't raise my hands to shampoo my hair without dislocating an elbow. My bed can only be described as occasional 'put me up' that you keep for unexpected house guests. Unbelievable and for an eye watering price that would buy me a junior suite with king size bed in the Middle East, where I live. Breakfast is not included, total rip off. There are two hair dryers though, so that makes it ok, I suppose, not! Nice view of the air conditioning plant from my fourth floor window - and I'm a loyalty card holder, heaven only knows how they treat non club members and other guests. Worst hotel experience for a long time. Phew, off for a drink now, if I can find my way out of this bad dream.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This very expensive hotel only has 2 great things: great staff and great location. Everything else is just above average. More was expected from a 5 stars but I wonder why it is not a 3 1/2 stars. I won't rate it even 4 stars. Definitively not a good value for the cost.

Room Tip: Engage the staff, they are very customer service oriented
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Key Largo, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had an overnight stay prior to a Baltic cruise. We found the hotel room clean and comfortable. I would not say it was five stars by US standards. The location was good for sightseeing with Hop On Hop Off buses right there and Tivoli across the street. All staff member were very accommodating, particularly the concierge who helped us with dinner reservations. The included breakfast was nice in Cafe Royal. We did share a sandwich for lunch in Cafe Royal that proved to be very expensive and were surprised to be charged for iced water.

Room Tip: Our room on floor nine allowed no street noise to bother us.
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel is a bit pricey (over $300/night) but all of Denmark is pricey. It was very nicely appointed, very comfortable, clean rooms but most importantly very well located with the train station 1 block from hotel, Tivoli and Tourist Information Bureau across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from Tivoli and RR station for quieter sleep.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a pleasant stay, not a special one. We requested and received an upper-floor room facing Tivoli and were rewarded with a bird's eye view of the Saturday night fireworks. The central location of the hotel is convenient to attractions and the room was comfortable, although the carpet could have used a thorough cleaning. We enjoyed the decor, which was like something out of Disney's Contemporary Resort before the renovation--complete with a light-up acrylic wall panel above the headboard of the bed. We would have appreciated a more knowledgeable concierge staff in terms of restaurant recommendations, and the lobby restaurant dinner offerings were extremely limited. The free Wifi reliably reached the 17th floor and street noise was not a problem. Operable windows were nice to have for fresh air.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our problem with this hotel began way before our stay began. We e-mailed the concierge to ask for hotel reservations and to book a massage and car from the airport. I needed to send a second request in order to get a response from the concierge. When I responded to that concierge to ask him to make a booking for the car and at a restaurant he recommended, he did not respond or confirm or in fact, make the bookings. Frankly, it was rude.

Then, when we arrived at the hotel, the concierge was unknowledgeable and seemed annoyed when we asked for confirmation of our dinner reservation. For example, we specifically were looking forward to the fireworks on Saturday night to celebrate the 170th anniversary of Tivoli. The concierge told us that there were no fireworks. Thankfully, we asked several other people at local restaurants who confirmed that there were in fact fireworks. There were other concierges that were helpful throughout our stay (Gitte), but our experience was tainted by the initial interactions with the concierge.

Secondly, we were celebrating our honeymoon and upon arrival, we were told that our order for a king sized bed was merely a request. We were given a room with two twin beds, which really ruined our experience. We had come from Paris, where we stayed at a Westin. That hotel upgraded our room and provided champagne and French macaroons. The Royal Blu did nothing- not that we were expecting us, but they couldn't even provide us a room with the bed that we ordered. When I asked if I could pay for an upgrade, the receptionist wanted to charge me 300 dollars to switch rooms on the second night of our stay.

Finally, I travel abroad several times a year. I try to stay at a Radisson on several of these occasions, partially to gain points through their rewards program. I was told upon arrival that we couldn't earn points because I booked the hotel through a travel agent. Because I was busy at work and couldn't book the trip by myself, I was essentially penalized by the hotel. There is no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to earn points, at the money still went to the hotel. When I complained to the receptionist, they did not give a reason why I could not earn the points.

The location is quite good- right across from Tivoli in the center of the city, but there are others that might better at servicing tourists and those hoping for a special weekend. The gym was also very nice and comprehensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

There was nothing unusual about this hotel,except the location was very central. The interiors badly need renovation - as on the club floor one of the acrylic wall display fell off during our stay.
The concierge service is particularly weak as we had to rely on travel guide books for restaurant suggestions.
The breakfast is very average and the full rates are quite high for the standards.
Frankly, this hotel does not live up to it's old glorious days .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Copenhagen? Share your experiences!