“The absolute best of the best in Copenhagen” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Danish
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Copenhagen, Denmark
“The absolute best of the best in Copenhagen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had been trying to get reservations at Geranium for a while - there are very few tables available online for only two guests. We finally managed to persuade some of our friends to join, and getting reservations for four was relatively easy.

The restaurant is beautifully decorated - very Nordic inspired - and the staff highly professional, charming and fun; no raised eyebrows or arrogant behavior. One of the owners Soren was in the restaurant and gave the entire experience a little extra.

The food was absolutely amazing. Not only were the ingredients challenging and the presentation innovative and beautiful - the food actually also tasted out of this world good. Of highlights are worth mentioning the lobster, the charred potatoes and the razor clam as well as the rhubarb dessert.

The wine pairing was generous, challenged our taste buds and matched the food to perfection

Copenhagen has long been associated with Noma on the culinary world map - Geranium is certainly in the same league and if you ask me based on eating both places slightly better.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful lunch at Geranium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This meal was an intellectual, humorous and tasty trip through the essence of Danish cuisine. We had the full lunch course with juice pairing, and it was wonderful. The room is spacious and surrounded by windows that look onto a green field, underlining the connection of the food with nature. Staff was very welcoming and educated, and we enjoyed perfect course services every time. Sure, it's expensive, but the meal lasts for 3 hours and it's like a show.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orange, Connecticut
“The Dinner of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

From the first course until the little extra desert while we waited for a cab, this was an experience. However, bring all the Krone you can rustle up, as it was the most expensive meal I could ever imagine. Over $2000.00 for a party of 4, with wine.

Visited June 2013
Roskilde, Denmark
“Wow! Even with the good reviews I was blown away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was so impressed by Geranium. When a menu is so expensive it really has to go a long way to knock your socks off. Only one (and I am scratching around for a negative here) thing that wasn't perfect, parking outside the restaurant a mess at the moment (work going on). Great staff, uber cool interior design and yet not too wanky.

Just the menu which takes away any pressure on choice and I also had the juice menu as I was driving. We were then taken through a 4 hour culinary experience, about 20 tiny courses starting with canapes in the lounge area through to delectable stuff in the dining room and back to the lounge for our last course, a petit four. We had so many great courses that it's hard to do justice to how good it was and I would be here forever writing down what we had. I loved the Nordic thing and found everything really tasty, my experience at Noma is that it was very experimental but not always in a way that my mouth went 'yummmm', even if my head was impressed (although I did think that was good).

As well as the tastes I loved the presentation, impeccable and I loved the idea that so much effort had gone into developing the dish and styling it before it was ready for the menu. The staff were great and the kitchen was in plain view of us which was a bonus. The chefs come to the table (including the head chef) and we had our palette cleansing pre-dessert in the kitchen on stools.

How to sum it up, if you are prepared to throw A LOT of money at a dinner then you won't be disappointed. It's the best expensive restaurant I've been to in Copenhagen and is up there with meals I've had in Europe including Marcus Wareing in London. I would love to go back again and see what mad food art they are up to. Just need to save a small fortune now.

BTW, whilst I would have loved a glass or two of wine (I was driving), I have to say I was very impressed with the juice menu. I had a different one with every course from gooseberry to buckthorn to apple and elderflower. The beetroot and apple was outstanding. And that's from someone who's a bit of a self-confessed lush who sees some nice wine as integral to a treaty meal.

I highly rate our experience and wouldn't hesitate to say go.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

6 of us were taken to Geranium by a very generous friend - it's not the kind of meal you eat often!

We were eating before a concert in the stadium. The welcome was very friendly, and throughout the meal the service was the best I've ever experienced in a restaurant. It was like something from a film - you barely noticed the staff, and it never felt like they were hanging around, but plates were cleared the minute the last person had finished eating, new courses were served to all 6 at precisely the same time, and the food and drinks were introduced in a friendly, knowledgeable manner.

The food was simply excellent - very, very fresh and with the rare feature that you could taste every single ingredient. Portions were small but not tiny, and I was genuinely full after eating (helped along by the last / main course of pork belly I'm sure). Dessert was also delicious, with the frozen herb tea topping surprisingly good.

I wasn't drinking alcohol at the time of our visit, and was therefore given the juice tasting menu to match the food. Many people say this is a better accompaniment, and I wouldn't argue. Whilst some of our party were unimpressed by some of the wines, the juices were all delicious, with the apple and cucumber a highlight.

Certainly a meal I'll always remember.

• Visited June 2013