“Great Hotel - ticks all of the boxes” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
London
“Great Hotel - ticks all of the boxes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a great hotel. Although it is not in the city centre, it is close enough to go exploring.
I had a great time here - hotel is clean, efficient and the food is of a good standard.

Rooms are a good size.

Only problem with the hotel was the shuttle service from the airport. The shuttle pick-up location is outside so you are exposed to the elements. Also - upon using the ipad app at terminal 3 to call the shuttle we had to wait 35 mins which was not so brilliant - considering that the hotel is only a few kms away??

Room Tip: Take a room on level 10 or higher.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

For the price asked, we had expected a well-serviced four-star hotel. Instead we found failures which, though reasonably minor, were very annoying.

(1) Coffee at breakfast. They don't bring drinks to your breakfast table here. (The staff just take away used crockery, lay out cutlery, and replenish the buffet.) You serve yourself to coffee (or hot water for tea) from a machine. There was a fast-acting coffee machine and a slow filter-coffee machine. On our second morning the fast machine was hung with an "Out of Order" sign. Naturally this led to a slow line waiting for the filter machine. Well, these things happen, we thought. They will fix it. The trouble is, they didn't. It was still "Out of Order" next day. There was also a single chef cooking eggs and omelettes: he had a line waiting too. And if you wanted a second cup of coffee, it was back to the coffee line again. It reminded me of a college or youth hostel, and it does not reflect well on management that they run things so. (In fairness however the food was ample and the Danish pastries were top class, though sometimes you had to be quick to take one before the basket was empty.)

(2) Dinner in the restaurant. They serve a limited selection of dishes, and in our experience they are not very hot when they reach your table; and they are rather overpriced too. In particular, "Soup of the Week", served from what appears to be a teapot, was consistently lukewarm. At the end of one meal they brought me the check for a different table. (They did apologise nicely for that.)

(3) Likewise, at check-out I was presented with the bill (check) for a totally different guest from a different continent. On asking for a correction I was treated to a farrago of obfuscatory excuses, even though I was in effect upping my bill. The check-in hadn't been particularly welcoming, either. The front desk staff seem to have an attitude of tolerance rather than welcome towards the guests.

Breakfast queues, indifferent service, accounting confusion. Some of this might be excusable in a one-star hotel. But here you pay about 2000 kroner (or 340 US dollars) for a double room and breakfast, including the high 25% Danish value-added tax. They are not providing four-star service to guests, in my opinion, though the rooms and cleanliness are all right.

Room Tip: High floors are away from motorway and railway noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Fermi-Dirac,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with your experience at the restaurant and the unacceptable service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is located near the airport but is very close to the local transit center which is only a 10 minute ride to downtown. This made it convenient since we had stayed both pre and post our cruise. The hotel is currently only 3-4 years old so it is clean and well appointed.
We had 2 problems with the hotel.
1.) Transfers - Although the hotel does offer complimentary shuttle from the airport, finding the shuttle van at terminal 2 is a little tricky. The van only parks in a special hotel parking space which we could not find. Finally after looking for about 30 minutes we saw the hotel Crowne Plaza logo.
2.) Check your bill before leaving. We used points for the stay on the 1st night. The front desk already had the bill printed out, and they were about to walk us to our taxi to transfer us to the cruise port when I happend to look at the bill and noticed they charged the regular rate. Fortunately we saw it before we left and they had to credit the amount to the credit card. You can check your bill on the TV before you leave your room.

The rooms are very simple and obviously a popular choice by cruise passengers. Both nights that we stayed there it was totally sold out. There is also a mall which is approximately a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. This was a great perk since we were not forced into paying the very high prices for the limited menu at the hotel.

Overall, the hotel was acceptable, clean and convenient - but compared to western hotels in the US, I would rate it as a 3 of 5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear roadwarrior2_11,

I would like to express my sincerest thanks for your review regarding services at our Hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome. Despite the challenges you faced I was pleased to note that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

the hotel is situated near the airport but access to the center of town is convinient by train or underground from nearby station. The hotel looks new. very clean. nice simple rooms. very comfortable mattress. good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed 4 nights (26-30 August, 2012) in Room 1207. I used Priority Club points for the entire stay (points only-no cash plus points) to avoid the high price of hotels (and everything else) in Denmark and Scandinavia. They pay high taxes but receive great benefits such as quality health care, free education, reliable 21st century clean energy and transportation, and more, and there’s little or no poverty so I understand and respect the Danes for their values and priorities.
We arrived at the Copenhagen airport and found the phone at the information desk by the exit door to call for the shuttle. You didn’t talk to a person, but pushed the number of people and then sent. There was no confirmation. The guy at the information desk said the pickup spot was about 100m straight ahead. We walked about that far and waited at the curb but never saw a van from the Crowne Plaza so after over a half hour, I returned to the information desk and tried again. We walked a little further based on the unclear, updated directions from the guy at the information desk. This was where the taxis dropped off. About 15 minutes later, we saw a Crowne Plaza van and followed it back towards the original point and over to the islands between the parking garage and the taxi drop off area. We would have seen it from our first waiting spot as well so there wasn’t a shuttle for the first request. I said that we had been waiting for almost an hour, but the guy said he had only received one pick-up request about 15 minutes prior. In conclusion, make 2 or more requests for a pick-up, and then proceed towards the taxi area and look right to find the sign with the Crowne Plaza pick-up location. After this, everything was as perfect as could be expected so this was the only negative about the stay-a confusion which could have been avoided had a real person confirmed the pick-up request and had better directions to the pick-up spot been given!!!
That said, we arrived at the hotel in a grumpy manner but were greeted by many friendly, smiling faces. Check-in was smooth even though we arrived before 2 pm (would have been 1 pm had the shuttle been on time and easier to find). Due to my Platinum status, we were upgraded to an Executive Club corner room #816, which faced southwest. When I saw it, I was not excited about the fact that those in the just slightly higher than 8 floor office building next door had a direct view. I returned to the lobby and requested a new room. We were moved to a northeast facing room #1207. Each floor had two executive rooms ending in 16 or 07. The top floor contained suites but required special access so could not check out. I did go to the second highest floor for a view, which was fantastic. Even had I not been upgraded to an Executive room, I would still have been granted access to the 2nd floor Executive Club lounge because of my Platinum status. This put this hotel over the top in comparison to all other Crowne Plazas and even Intercontinentals where I’ve stayed. We received free breakfast each morning, and I mean a full buffet of scrambled eggs (with cheese 3 out of 4 days), bacon, sausage links, cold cuts, cheese slices, breads, juices, coffee, peanut butter, Nutela, jams, and more. The only thing missing was made to order eggs and omelets-but no complaints since it was much more than usual or expected. We had 24 hour access to beer, soft drinks, and water. Each evening from 6-10 pm, there was a free cocktail offering. This included spirits and mixers, French wines and others, some hot appetizers (salmon, chicken sticks, artichoke vegetarian dish, and more-different combination each night), plus the beer, soft drinks, water, and bread as well as chips and peanuts. We were able to save money and only eat a big lunch each day since we had breakfast and evening snacks (really a meal in itself). I heard many people say that they wished they had not made dinner reservations since they weren’t really going to be hungry later. The only negative was the inconsistent service-75%, continuous restocking but 25%, spotty service and restocking. It depends on the staff and what else they're doing so again no major worries. Overall, I can’t say enough positive things about this perk. The Executive lounge access makes this hotel one of the best ever! There were comfortable chairs, a tv (usually BBC News was on), 2 terminals and a printer. Since the hotel had free wifi, I never used the terminals or printer but sure they worked just fine. There also was a fitness center on the 2nd floor. I didn’t use, but it looked clean and had some basic workout equipment plus a bathroom, which I did use while I visited the lounge.
The executive corner room had a king sized bed with 2 very soft and comfortable duvets (the only bed option for these rooms so it could be tricky depending on your travel companion), full window looking towards town and small window in direction of Sweden and airport. There is a minibar, but don’t move anything unless you want it as it is very sensitive. There is a desk with chair-3 drawers next to desk, a closet with safe and another closet with hangers. The large bathroom had a separate tub and shower. The tub had side compartment that leaked at first but was repaired promptly upon request. Shower didn’t always drain well. Toilet worked fine. There was a sink with amenities provided plus 2 drinking glasses and nice towels. There are also glasses next to the minibar (we received one complimentary water 3 out of 4 days). Wine glasses can be taken from the lounge. We received a fruit basket with some chocolates the first day but never again as some have reported they received one every day. They were brought to room 816 in the 5 minutes before we moved so I wonder if someone else received them the other days. Everything was clean and spotless and was made that way every day by a very efficient cleaning crew. Those in the non executive rooms could opt out of maid service and receive some sort of voucher-not sure but have read about in other reviews. The free wifi worked perfectly and was used often. The outside of the windows, which could not be opened except in emergency, could use a washing but no big deal. There was a kettle with coffee/tea supplies. The doors closed quietly, and noise was at a minimum at all times. I actually enjoyed returning to the room each and every time we did as it was very comfortable and had everything we needed. The flat screen tv received about 40 channels in several languages plus had several radio stations as well.
I later apologized to those at the front desk for my grumpy arrival, but they understood and were all friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. Based on their recommendation, we bought the 72 hour Copenhagen card, which is good for entry to many museums, castles, boats, etc. It is also good for almost all transportation in Zealand, which is northeastern Denmark, I think. This includes S line, metro, trains, busses, trams, etc. It is not good from airport to Malmø, Sweden. The ø is pronounced like a long u in English or a double o as in moo. That requires an expensive, separate ticket. It costs more to go from Sweden to Denmark so try to buy a roundtrip ticket in Denmark. We went to Tva Krogare in Malmø for lunch on the middle day of our 4 day stay (see review on TripAdvisor). On another day, we took the metro line E to Frederiksborg Castle (Slot) in Hillerød and saw the Royal Palace. Afterwards, we walked through the gardens and took a boat ride back towards the train station. We then took a train to Helsingoer and saw the castle plus the maritime museum and the casemates. We had a great, inexpensive lunch on the way to the castle, but I don’t remember the restaurant name, and I paid cash so no charge receipt. There was a little square with restaurants of various types all around. We then took the train back to Copenhagen and stopped at Tivoli before returning on train to the hotel. There is a metro (upper) and train (lower) at the Ørestad Station stop, which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel, so you can go many directions. For the train, only coins are accepted for tickets-not sure about metro since we had the card. They almost always check for tickets on the train, but we were only checked once (the last trip back to the hotel on the last day) on the metro. Fines are hefty at about 750 Danish Krone. The last morning we climbed to the top of the church of Our Saviour for a fantastic view of downtown and surrounding area of Copenhagen. At the very end of our trip, we went to the Fields mall, which is across the highway from the hotel and on the other side of the street from the station. There is a gym that guests can use, but we did not. I bought some cheap magnifier glasses at one Wal-Mart like store on the first floor. The top floors have more expensive, trendier stores. The 72 hour card included the castles, the steeple climb, Tivoli entrance but not rides, a boat ride, and much more. We took the shuttle back to the airport, and there were no issues this time. We had the same driver, and he got a good tip after none on arrival.
If I were to return to Copenhagen and they still guarantee executive club access to Platinum members, I would stay no where else but here. It saved lots of money, especially for breakfast and cocktails in the evening. The staff was the best, the hotel was clean, the location near the airport with the easy transportation access, the rooms, the executive lounge…..what more could one want or need? Thanks to all. It was also good to be outside of the city but close enough to be there in 15 minutes.

Room Tip: Face towards Sweden or downtown, if possible.
Stockton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We would recommend this hotel to everyone. Beautiful, modern, quiet, and very comfortable with all the amenities. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. All the staff spoke a variety of languages, including fluent English (better than our own!). The metro is just across the autobahn/train way with easy access to everywhere you want to go. Inaddition, a large shopping center is located across the road from the metro, with plenty of restaurants, shops and/or a small convencient store.

Room Tip: great place
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed here for five nights mid August,hotel provides free shuttle from airport which was good,only ten minutes on shuttle to centre of town,rooms were spacious and modern,service at the concierge desk was really helpful,as we're all the staff,from the cleaning staff to the desk manager,can't comment on food as we ate out all week.Loved Copenhagen and all it's sights.Only down side is the cost of alcohol,how much for a beer!Never mind we kind of knew before we went.Overall a great stay on a great hotel in a great city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers? Share your experiences!