“Fantastic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Sahil

Restaurant Sahil
Havnegade 33, Copenhagen 1058, Denmark (Indre By)
33 91 46 46
Neighborhood: Indre By
brisbane
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I recently went to this restaurant twice within four weeks. Both times were fantastic. In fact the first visit was NYE and my son and I arrived with no booking.
To our surprise although they were booked out they made room for us as long as we were finished within two hours. I thought that was very accommodating of them.
Food is very good, inexpensive, (strange for Denmark). The staff are very pleasant and the position of the restaurant facing the harbour is delightful.
Can't fault it. Well done!!

Visited January 2014

Vancouver BC
“Reasonable in a pricey neighbourhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had dinner here a couple of times in September; it's just half a block from Hotel City, and many of the other nearby restaurants, especially down on Nyhavn, are far more expensive. Food and service are very good. Staff are highly fluent in English, and you even get a view of the water.

• Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Købanhavn Kurry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

From the Curry Capital of Britain, we came to sample a Danish Kurry after days of Fresh Fish.

The booking was simple over the web, upon arrival we were greeted well and seated.

The restaurant was busy with pre theatre customers, nether the less drinks and orders were taken eventually.

Starters were small but filling, followed prompt by be mains which were plentiful.

A nice post meal chat finished off the evening in a pleasant manner.

Definitely go again. The owner from Jhuelm was charming.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“good dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good tasty food, and very convenient to our hotel. I was pleasantly surprised---wasn't expecting good indian food in Denmark!

Visited May 2013
Nice, France
“Food is good, but need to do more on decor and atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Having been in a business meeting at lunch time I decided on an early dinner. I'd noticed the Sahil the day before and liked the sound of the menu.
I'm not a regular eater of Indian food - in fact it's been 15 years since I last went into an Indian restaurant! But for some reason I was tempted.
Well, the place is very under-whelming when you go in. More like a down-market cafe than a restaurant in a prime location. Service is distinctly unimpressive too. Normally there would be a good view of a busy sea inlet, but I was unlucky - a large sand sculpture exhibition was just being 'demolished' that day between the restaurant and the sea, so there was no view.
Anyway, I was there for the food, so let's get to it. The menu covers all the fundamental Indian dishes, but to be honest I was scared of picking something too spicy. I've got a typical wimpy Western tolerance for spicy food, and it's the main reason I've avoided Indian restaurants - I don't want to either explode my taste buds, or end up with a case of 'jelly belly'.
They gave me an English menu, which was good. There was no indication on the menu of what was spicy though, so that didn't help much.
Service was distinctly absent during selection. The waiter seemed to have good English, but seemed bemused that anyone would be in the place mid-afternoon (they open from 14:00 - 23:00), and didn't offer any advice, or service.
I chose Chicken Pakora to start. This was very good. Mildly spicy. Just enough to make my tongue tingle. I'm sure for a real Indian food veteren it would have been nothing, but I liked it.
For the main course I had Chicken Tikka Masala, with Pilao rice and a Garlic Nan.
The thick red sauce was very creamy, and not at all spicy. The rice was quite spicy though (for me), which I thought was odd, but it was all good. Of course there's too much for one hungry person, but I did my best and only left half the rice and half the nan.
I have to say that beer in Denmark is expensive, and this place is no exception. I had 1 small bottle of 'Kingfisher' for DKK 35 (€5) and a bigger draft Pilsner for DKK 45 (€6.50).
So, the total food bill was DKK 192 (€27.50) - excluding the drinks, so not bad for a good Indian feed.
If they spruced the place up, redecorated, and bought some decent furniture it would make the place worth spending more time in, but as it is now it's just a place to stop and eat in, then so somewhere more pleasant to digest and relax.
I understand that you can ask for the food to be spiced up if you want it hot, but for me (and my wimpy palate) it was fine. So I recommend it, but just as a fast food hit for Indian.

• Visited August 2013